Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   103" 10.5 c.r. 259E cams great combo (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/487837-103-10-5-c-r-259e-cams-great-combo.html)

emwolb 03-11-2010 02:13 AM

103" 10.5 c.r. 259E cams great combo

i just had this combo put together just over a week ago. i'm very impressed. at the time i also did the screamin eagle compensator and also installed the manual compression releases. it sure does pull strong now. it's no 124 or monster motor, but it sure is mighty imprssive with the torque beginning at 90 ft lbs at 1700 rpm's and climbs in a linear fashion, no dips like most cams tend to do off idle. and the horsepower is very impressive too. i feel it's a great build and it's got all the power in the usable rpm's that we want for our touring models. those 259E cams at .579" lift, really let the motor breathe. adding the vance & hines 2 into 1 pro pipe and the zippers air cleaner were also added during the build. the kit also included the screamin eagle pro super tuner. part number for the kit if anyone is interested is hd# 27544-10 to do it again, would i? sure nuff, it's a great combo where each part seems to get along very well with all the other parts.

smokindave 03-11-2010 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by emwolb (Post 6379800)
i just had this combo put together just over a week ago. i'm very impressed. at the time i also did the screamin eagle compensator and also installed the manual compression releases. it sure does pull strong now. it's no 124 or monster motor, but it sure is mighty imprssive with the torque beginning at 90 ft lbs at 1700 rpm's and climbs in a linear fashion, no dips like most cams tend to do off idle. and the horsepower is very impressive too. i feel it's a great build and it's got all the power in the usable rpm's that we want for our touring models. those 259E cams at .579" lift, really let the motor breathe. adding the vance & hines 2 into 1 pro pipe and the zippers air cleaner were also added during the build. the kit also included the screamin eagle pro super tuner. part number for the kit if anyone is interested is hd# 27544-10 to do it again, would i? sure nuff, it's a great combo where each part seems to get along very well with all the other parts.

Just did the same build, with a few differences. I did headwork and will use the stock headpipe with Jackpots for now, until I save up some more money. There are benefits to going with a 10.5:1 CR and that's TQ down low, where the touring bikes need it. Also with this cam the cranking pressures for start up are not as high as say a SE255 cam and hot start kickbacks should not be an issue. Use of compression releases is not optional with this build, they are mandatory.

Hey Jim, I think I might pick up the scoot today, can't wait any longer. Maybe the SE 259e cam might get more attention now as it is a new cam from Harley.

phattey 03-11-2010 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by emwolb (Post 6379800)

nice indeed...what bike is this on? A TBW or earlier..also it'd be nice to see that dyno sheet...90 at 1700 is awesome. Sorry one more...if it's a '09/'10...did you use the new pro-pipe chrome..?

phattey 03-11-2010 05:45 AM

Never mind...i saw your post in the dyno section.

nice job on the build

:icon_clapclap:

navcan 02-19-2015 01:21 PM

do you have a lot of valve noise

navcan 02-19-2015 01:31 PM

I did the same kit on my 2012 flhx had it on the dyno I find the valves are very loud

0ldhippie 02-19-2015 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by navcan (Post 13724859)
I did the same kit on my 2012 flhx had it on the dyno I find the valves are very loud

Wow! Really??? First post is to a 5 year old thread??:icon_fryingpan::icon_fryingpan::icon_fryi ngpan:

navcan 02-19-2015 02:06 PM

sorry for asking but just had the work done but thanks for the feed back

OldEnuf2NoBtr 02-19-2015 04:36 PM

You will hear some lifter noise but that is normal for this set-up.

navcan 02-19-2015 04:51 PM

that is what the dealer said but its best to get several opinions thank you