Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Wild One 575 or 577 ? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/488433-wild-one-575-or-577-a.html)

DbbleD 03-12-2010 02:37 PM

Wild One 575 or 577 ?

Hey guys - hoping for some help here. I posted this question on Wild 1's site but haven't heard back. Hoping someone can help. I'm contemplating going with either the 575's or 577's from Wild One.

I've done a search and looked at a bunch of pictures of bikes. The 12.5 inch apes look really good and from what I've read are really comfortable. I'm just not sure I want to go that high.

I'm leaning toward the 575's but I'm wondering if they can be rotated forward to be more like a mini-ape?? Looking at the pics it's hard to tell if they are much different/better than stock.-- this would also save me some $$ as I won't have to change as many wires/cables.

Some specs for detail: I'm about 5'10" w/ a short torso. Bars will be going on a 04 EGC done up like a street glide (lowered in the rear, short windshield, tour pack removed -- I call it my "Classic Glide") C&C solo seat which moves me back and down another inch. I've sat on the bike and kind of put my hands where I thought they would go with each bar. I'd like to keep my fairing mirrors if possible.

http://www.wild1inc.com/orderWO575.html

http://www.wild1inc.com/orderWO577.html

Sorry for the long post and Thanks for any input!!

tj316 03-12-2010 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
go with the 12.5, here they are on my bike and they are very comfortable. I'm 5"10" , when I use to go on long trips my lower back would hurt, now no problems

spacelord 03-12-2010 03:11 PM

Personally I'm not a fan of apes on batwing bikes but that's just me. I have the 575's on my '08 SG and can tell you there is a world of difference from stock. First few rides with them I thought I had made a mistake and considered taking them back off. Once I got used to them they're fantastic! I've ridden a couple of friends bikes since with stock bars and they feel really cramped and uncomfortable. If you have fairing mounted mirrors you will lose a little of the rear view but they still work great.

DbbleD 03-12-2010 03:45 PM

Great TJ316 and spacelord -- that was no help at all - we're still 1 to 1!! Just kidding, thanks for the responses! It will be interesting to see what others say.

tj316 I saw your bike in all the pics I was looking at to get an idea of what I wanted. They sure look good -- I'm just not sure that's the direction I want to go yet.... NICE scoot!!

Thanks again.

tj316 03-12-2010 04:51 PM

Thanks DbbleD, she don't look bad for an 01, I was leary on the 12.5" myself but love them now, a couple of thoughts for you, if like me you have lower back problems you will love them as you sit up straighter with them, if you have neck or shoulder problems you will like the lower ones better, if nothing on you hurts you're to young to be on a bagger

bjpharmd 03-12-2010 05:07 PM

I sat on an EGC with 575's the other day. Liked it so much I am gonna order them. I don't know about tilting them forward to make them mini-apes. But I don't see why not. I also don't wanna deal with having to install longer lines/cables either. I'm tired of leaning hunched over with the stock bars on my 09 FLHR. I can't believe they would even sell a bike with bars that uncomfortable. but then again, who keeps anything stock anymore?

DbbleD 03-12-2010 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by bjpharmd (Post 6388374)
I sat on an EGC with 575's the other day. Liked it so much I am gonna order them. I don't know about tilting them forward to make them mini-apes. But I don't see why not. I also don't wanna deal with having to install longer lines/cables either. I'm tired of leaning hunched over with the stock bars on my 09 FLHR. I can't believe they would even sell a bike with bars that uncomfortable. but then again, who keeps anything stock anymore?

Thanks - keep em coming! :icon_banana:

NavyPT 03-12-2010 06:16 PM

I have the 577's and the 12.5 height is perfect for me on my EGC with my C&C seat. I am 5' 8" and find them perfectly comfortable. Check out my gallery for the look.

slvr_bullit 03-12-2010 06:29 PM

Im in agreement with Spacelord.. I installed the 575's and after a few blocks I was wondering if I should have went with the apes. After about 100 miles, I love them. If i had gotten the apes I would have had to tilt them back since I am 5'6. If you push the 575s forward I think it would be uncomfortable and you would have to strech too far hunched over.

JCleary 03-12-2010 07:18 PM

I've got the 12.5 black bars. I've got them rotated pretty far forward, so the grips are about level, or as close as they're going to get. It's very comfortable, but I have not taken it on a good ride in the twisties yet. I might do that tomorrow if the weather allows.

U-turns are taking some getting used to. The 12.5" bars are a stretch. I would definitely NOT want 16's.

Oh, and my fingers are FREEZING hanging over the fairing.

The things I do for looks...