Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about Jet Hot coating? Think twice.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Thinking about Jet Hot coating? Think twice.

Figured I better share this just in case others might considering plunking down a fat sum of green.

So I buy me a V&H exhaust system from Dr. VTwin, that's the good part. Thanks again Shawn! I decide I want to visually modify the exhaust, then have it coated when I'm done. V&H finally releases the mufflers and I'm ready to send the item to Jet Hot. Earlier I'd been looking for a gloss black ceramic, not the flat or satin. I find a link showing gloss done by Jet Hot. I inquire and the guy says all he needs are the measurements to get a quote. Cool! So I thought. They have two offices, one in NC and one in AZ. NC guy says 6-8 day turn-around from the AZ location. About a week or so after the approximate due date AZ calls me saying the NC guy got the measurement wrong and they need an extra $50-60 or so for the job. I respectfully expressed my concern about that tactic and the AZ women (actually a nice BTW) makes some 'correction' and it's a mere $6. Ahh, a price of a burger, so what. Should ship out soon. I follow up a few times to learn two of the heat shields didn't pass quality control. I'm cool with that, at least they're checking right? A couple more delays from heat shields having to be redone again. It is at this point when I say "I understand, it's OK because since you folks are the only ones doing gloss black, it's worth the wait". To which she says "oh, we don't do gloss black anymore, it's more like a high luster black, it's definitely not flat though". Uh, WHAT? I decide not to jump to conclusions and wait until the parts arrive. After all, moments later during our conversation she mentions her boss decided to cover the difference of overnighting my exhaust system back to me for how patient I've been with all the delays.
So they arrive. Not even CLOSE to gloss black. Granted, they're not 'flat' black. In my opinion they're more like what Harley has. You know, that kind of sheen that the handlebar controls have. It might be a tiny bit shinier, but barely. I'll have to post pics in a few days as it's crappy weather and too dark in the garage to get a fair look at them. Bare with me on that one.
I sent them a letter expressing my dissatisfaction, no reply yet. Had the first person informed me they don't do gloss anymore, I would have passed.

There's a lot a fair minded people here and I'm interested in the Forum's opinion. I'd like to see how some of you would react. I feel it's BS. Hell, even the shiny "Sterling" on the actual headers has turned a dull gray already and that's after about 90 miles of riding. Back in the day Jet Hot was THE **** and was a standard others would be judged by. Today? Um, I don't know about that.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen them before that came back with a brown tint to them. Seems to me that someone could come up with a gloss black treatment with the technology we have today.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you could have had the shields and mufflers powdercoated high temp gloss black, its the actual header pipe that gets too hot for powdercoating and needs ceramic

Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 PM
gibby122
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, hell, thats a tough one...

Old 03-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Well, if you have a quote from them that states gloss black you have a case for them to make it right. If everything was done verbal, you might be stuck with what you have. Just depends on what kind of company they wish to be. What exactly do you want them to do at this point since they no longer do gloss black?

Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain

Originally Posted by leohd
you could have had the shields and mufflers powdercoated high temp gloss black, its the actual header pipe that gets too hot for powdercoating and needs ceramic
Yeah, that was my position when I heard they didn't do gloss anymore. Allegedly the gloss would turn flat when temps got too high. OK, fine, but the shields would never get that hot. Hell, the riders leg would burn up before the temps got high enough to turn the shields only. Oh, and did I mention they crap scratches and scratches off REAL easy? I probably could have done a better job with engine paint! I feel a refund of some portion is in order. All would be nice all things considered. Should have pics by the weekend, you can judge for yourselves.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

Definately appreciate the heads up!!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:00 AM
poppa cooter
Tourer

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
Figured I better share this just in case others might considering plunking down a fat sum of green.

So I buy me a V&H exhaust system from Dr. VTwin, that's the good part. Thanks again Shawn! I decide I want to visually modify the exhaust, then have it coated when I'm done. V&H finally releases the mufflers and I'm ready to send the item to Jet Hot. Earlier I'd been looking for a gloss black ceramic, not the flat or satin. I find a link showing gloss done by Jet Hot. I inquire and the guy says all he needs are the measurements to get a quote. Cool! So I thought. They have two offices, one in NC and one in AZ. NC guy says 6-8 day turn-around from the AZ location. About a week or so after the approximate due date AZ calls me saying the NC guy got the measurement wrong and they need an extra $50-60 or so for the job. I respectfully expressed my concern about that tactic and the AZ women (actually a nice BTW) makes some 'correction' and it's a mere $6. Ahh, a price of a burger, so what. Should ship out soon. I follow up a few times to learn two of the heat shields didn't pass quality control. I'm cool with that, at least they're checking right? A couple more delays from heat shields having to be redone again. It is at this point when I say "I understand, it's OK because since you folks are the only ones doing gloss black, it's worth the wait". To which she says "oh, we don't do gloss black anymore, it's more like a high luster black, it's definitely not flat though". Uh, WHAT? I decide not to jump to conclusions and wait until the parts arrive. After all, moments later during our conversation she mentions her boss decided to cover the difference of overnighting my exhaust system back to me for how patient I've been with all the delays.
So they arrive. Not even CLOSE to gloss black. Granted, they're not 'flat' black. In my opinion they're more like what Harley has. You know, that kind of sheen that the handlebar controls have. It might be a tiny bit shinier, but barely. I'll have to post pics in a few days as it's crappy weather and too dark in the garage to get a fair look at them. Bare with me on that one.
I sent them a letter expressing my dissatisfaction, no reply yet. Had the first person informed me they don't do gloss anymore, I would have passed.

There's a lot a fair minded people here and I'm interested in the Forum's opinion. I'd like to see how some of you would react. I feel it's BS. Hell, even the shiny "Sterling" on the actual headers has turned a dull gray already and that's after about 90 miles of riding. Back in the day Jet Hot was THE **** and was a standard others would be judged by. Today? Um, I don't know about that.
mine are at jet hot now, but just the pipes not the heat shields, i wanted to bring the exhaust temps down. but i had the same problem i got a phone call saying oh its another 50 dollars to remove the chrome off your pipes, why didn't they tell me that before i sent them....
the guy in the shop says yeah we always have to remove the chrome but the salesman didn't say sh@t on the phone i even told him there was minor surface rust he said no problem. dang i could of sandblasted them my self before i sent them if i would have known that. but for the sake of getting them back quick i agreed.(i just want it back together asap).

does the heat seem to be any better on your legs?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:05 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by poppa cooter
mine are at jet hot now, but just the pipes not the heat shields, i wanted to bring the exhaust temps down. but i had the same problem i got a phone call saying oh its another 50 dollars to remove the chrome off your pipes, why didn't they tell me that before i sent them....
the guy in the shop says yeah we always have to remove the chrome but the salesman didn't say sh@t on the phone i even told him there was minor surface rust he said no problem. dang i could of sandblasted them my self before i sent them if i would have known that. but for the sake of getting them back quick i agreed.(i just want it back together asap).

does the heat seem to be any better on your legs?
If you are going from chrome to black your surface temps will be going up not down as black gives off more heat than chrome. This has been my experience anyway.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

we coat gloss shields all the time! all in how we prep it! mine have been done for over 2 years on my bob with no issues!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about Jet Hot coating? Think twice.