Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower fairings, buffeting and heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Hugh Betcha
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lower fairings, buffeting and heat

I have an 06 RG, I believe I have the right height windshield and the right helmet, for me, that keeps head buffeting down. However, I still get annoying head buffeting. The '07 HD catalog introduces solid lower fairings for the RG. First, does anyone have experience with the lower fairings reducing buffeting? Any opinions? Also, the vinyl lowers are listed with a caution "not to be used above 50 degrees". The solid lower fairings are listed without the warning. From prior threads I get the impression that many keep the solid fairings on all year. Also, the ultra comes with the solid lower fairings as standard equipment and I assume their owners do not take them off in temps above 50. I would only get the lower hard fairings if they might reduce buffeting and could be left on above 50 degrees. Any comments?

Old 08-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: lower fairings, buffeting and heat

Hugh:
I've owned 2 RoadGlides, and on both I installed "hard lowers". The lower fairing has no effect on the head buffeting you are describing. I run my FLTRI with lowers all year 'round with no ill effects on engine or rider. They keep my legs dry and reduce fatigue on long trips....and warmer in cooler temps.
Head buffeting is generally caused by a too short windshield for ones head. Optimum height for the eyes is 2" above the top rim of said windshield. Another factor could be the helmet of choice. A helmet with a face shield (non full face helmet) can cause what is know as "parachuting" or the wind getting underneath the shield and pulling the helmet up.
You might be suffering a combination of the two causes?
Check your line of sight first.
Try another helmet....borrow it.

My Clearview Shield (LOVE it) is perfection........I look 2" over the top and I alternate between a 3/4 helmet in town and a full-face on the road.....

Hope this has helped.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 PM
fatdave
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't tried the hard lowers but do have the fork mounted air deflectors. My problem on an 04 FLHTCI is wind coming up behind the windshield. You might try the front fork air baffle #58520-79TC. I did see an increase in oil temp after adding the baffle. But helped it with the wind.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

Fat Dave:
When the lowers are removed on the FLTR, the instructions are to remove the air baffle.........which comes on the bike from the factory. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that Hugh's buffeting problem lies primarily in his windshield height. His helmet may exacerbate it with a wide visor or a bubble shield affair.
I have also owned a three other FL bikes: Road King, Fat Boy, and an FLHTCUI. The wind deflectors helped a lot on the RK and FB. I don't recall, but I think the '96 FLHTCUI had an air baffle.....but with the gap between the upper and lower fairings on the Road Glide being almost nil, I think the factory is correct in recommending the removal of the air baffle, assuming they still have it as a stock item and not an accessory. I haven't looked.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Hugh Betcha
Intermediate

Mr. Wonderful. Thanks, you saved me $600 for the fairings (unless I want them later for the positive effects you mentioned). Hemet: I tried full, 3/4, half and skid lid (last a carbon fiber with lining but not DOT). Wind buffeting is worst with full, better with 3/4, bettr still with 1/2 and tolerable with skid lid-so I wear the skid lid. I am 6'1" and use the stock windshield which might be a litle low but appears right on. When I crouch down so that I am looking through the windshield I get no less buffeting. Is clearview designed that much better that it would be, even if the same height, better than stock? I was going to order one but got discouraged by the turn around time. Would you advise trying one? Same height or 1" or 2" taller than stock? Would you go vented?

Old 08-02-2006, 01:02 PM
websterdan
Tourer

I'm curious as well Hugh. I'm 6'3" and as you get alot with full face, when I flip it up I get less buffeting and less noise. I do get less of both if I lean forward and/or down lower. As you I am considering a clearview with a vent, and am not sure of fit, function or looks. Any one on here have one installed and have comments???????

Old 08-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

Hugh & Dan:
Glad I could help and here are answers? to your questions. The Clearview I got was a GT Medium, tinted, no vent. Yes it takes a while to get but I promise you it is worth the wait. The windshield comes with a new lower edge gasket (better than stock), a rear base gasket and new well nuts. The material is maybe 30% thicker than the stock unit and is not coated.....so no worries about alcohol-based cleaners or rain-x. You can even polish it with Novus plastic polish. The shield is a little wider at the base and starts curving towards the rider more sharply than the stock angle, then flares a bit at the top. The overall effect is that the unit top is closer to your head.

I've had the tall HD windshield on my bike and it not only looked bad, it shook like crazy. The short "wind deflector" I had on for maybe 3 days. For looks only.

My 3/4 helmet is an HJC AC3. I wear an Arai Profile full face. Both Snell rated. With both, I always wear foam earplugs to quell the windnoise. Buffeting is not an issue for me with either, and I do look over the top of that Clearview shield. The shield came in a BIG box, surrounded by foam....lots of foam! It had a plastic covering on both sides to protect it. It went on pretty easily, but is heavier than the stock shield, so start in the middle and work your way to the sides, not getting the well nut screws too tight. After you get it installed, snug those screws down.

I like it and recommend it highly..........worth every penny and the wait. The vent is probably worthless unless you expect a mail delivery......seriously, it would alleviate the vacuum that forms behind all windshields, but it is hardly worth the expense and it is a butt-ugly thing.
And guys, please, if you wear a helmet, wear a DOT certified one at the very least. If you ever need the protection, you'll have it........and you never know. Nobody plans on an accident.

Hope all this verbage helped!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Hugh Betcha
Intermediate

Thanks again Mr W. After reading your first post to my thread I contacted clearview and when the rep contacts me we'll try to come up with the right height. Hopefully the clearview will lower the buffeting enough to expand my choice of helmets (I own 6). And I will skip the vent. I am curious about the tinting, is it merely for looks?

PS. I bought the 4 inch "wind deflector" also and at any speed over 50 my nose feels like it is being bent at a 90 degree angle (probably is). The deflector is useless.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Hugh Betcha

Thanks again Mr W. After reading your first post to my thread I contacted clearview and when the rep contacts me we'll try to come up with the right height. Hopefully the clearview will lower the buffeting enough to expand my choice of helmets (I own 6). And I will skip the vent. I am curious about the tinting, is it merely for looks?

PS. I bought the 4 inch "wind deflector" also and at any speed over 50 my nose feels like it is being bent at a 90 degree angle (probably is). The deflector is useless.
Yeah, I'd say the tinting is there for looks.........it is a very light smoke grey.....almost clear. If any of those helmets have a hard EPS liner (rock hard) they are ready for the hammer, cut-off the straps and trash 'em.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:36 AM
bucs012
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had bad head buffeting on my Deuce at 55 mph.......I am 6'1". Removed the worthless Harley shield "tallest one they had for the Deuce" and put on a Rifle shield 19" high. I can cruise 80 mph now with no head buffeting!

Quick Reply: lower fairings, buffeting and heat