Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank removal - Oh What a MESS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Mickeyyak
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drain Gas from the Crossover Quick Connector

Draining a Gas Tank is simple. If you are putting a Quick Connector or Quick Release in the crossover why not use a Safety Drain?
Safety Drain gives you a plastic piece for the connector that attaches to a drain hose. All you have to do is disconnect the quick Release and then plug in the Safety Drain and you are draining gas fast, easy and with no sucking mess!
They are on E Bay

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Tank removal - Oh What a MESS!!!!-bmw-quick-disconnect.png  
Old 02-10-2016, 04:52 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Well at least you didn't burn your place down.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
Well at least you didn't burn your place down.
Good thing. But, the OP would have had time to rebuild since he started this thread 6 years ago.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Good thing. But, the OP would have had time to rebuild since he started this thread 6 years ago.
LOL> I wonder how Mickey even found this old post??? and then he 'Double' posted here//

Old 02-11-2016, 05:15 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

For as often as I take off the tank on my 02 Dyna I stick with the two pair of needle nose vice grips and cut the line in the middle. I don't want an O-ring quick disconnect hanging over the front cylinder where the wind can direct flames toward me if it fails. I replace the crossover line every time I take the tank off.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Mickeyyak
2nd Gear

I found the thread by using the search feature and Drain Gas. Each year I would drain the gas from my 50 Panhead,"Ethanol Gas Hates Carburetor's and Fuel Systems", gas would be all over the place. Feeling like it was a loaded gun as all it would take is a static spark to toast my Pan I searched for a better way hence the Installation of the Safety Drain. Those quick connectors are the same one BMW uses but they are metal and can take the heat. The plastic ones get brittle and break!
No can someone tell me how to delete the second post I made???

Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 AM
Streetbobber75
Novice

I'm having the same problem you are. Seems like the nipples are so close together and the hose is so stiff that I cant seem to make it work. If I can get it connected, I can't get enough slack to disconnect it. I bought the exact same one you have pictured.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:32 AM
Streetbobber75
Novice

Originally Posted by dolson911
I got this Colder (I think the same that Herko recommends) fitting for a crossover and I can't seem to get any combination of hose length that'll make it work. Since this is for a Softail (sorry if I crossed the line ) do you think that the width between the crossover tubes is less then the Touring models?

Or are you all using a more flexible line than the factory one? I think if the line has bit more flex in it then you could get enough room to pull the coupling apart. It just seemed like when I was fitting it on the bench that I couldn't get the hose to bend or kink enough to get a straight shot to connect it without potentially screwing up the o-rings.

I effed up the o-ring in the fuel line disconnect a few years ago so I'm a bit cautious now.

-DO

I'm having the same problem you are. Seems like the nipples are so close together and the hose is so stiff that I cant seem to make it work. If I can get it connected, I can't get enough slack to disconnect it. I bought the exact same one you have pictured