Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo and hum noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo and hum noise

So I have been hunting done a humin my systemthat I have been putting up with for a while. But the install of a biketronics amp for the rear speakers just got me started. I was getting hum in start position but not on ACC. Turning it off once I heard blips through the speakers when the signals flashed. So I tried the turn signals and more noise and this lead to stepping on the brake. The hum faded!? Then I remembered I have a Auxiliary Running Light / Brake Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit. I disconected it and the hum is gone? Any one else have this problem is the unit bad? Could an LED brake light have anything to do with this?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem But I never thought about disconecting the conv light kit.Hopefully someone will tell us why this is happening. I will discon mine tomorrow and check to see if that is my problem also.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Slacker8
Tourer

Ok fellas what you are hearing is your speaker/audio wires picking up the inductance given off by a wire carrying power. There are a couple of ways to rid yourself of this and you may need to get creative. For the easiest way which you're out of luck with would be to ground one end of the shield in the speaker wire which won't happen because you aren't using shielded wire. Now you have a couple of more options, try to locate/move your speaker wires as far away as possible from any wires carrying power (ie: blinkers, tail light, fuel pump, spark plugs, etc etc). A bike being so compact it may be difficult to locate the wires where they won't pick up any inductance given off by a power wire but you may get lucky?

Biker you may be able to wrap you turn signal module in aluminum foil (yea its a redneck shade tree mechanic fix) but it should work. The aluminum foil will act as a shield, you ever tried to use a cell phone in a trailer that's made out of metal, doesn't work too good huh? It's the same principle except your keeping the inductance inside the foil.

Another trick might be to try and put a few twists in the speaker wire at the speaker. These twists may impede the inductance from getting to the speaker, that's why computer cables are twisted to help remove and prevent interference. Let me know if any of these work.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well crap! I just put that on my list to for Harley when I take my bike in for warranty work. I would hear a high pitch whine with the radio on or off. Now I know what it is. Still might see if Harley can figure it out though.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Cozmic
Cruiser

Just off the cuff without looking at my fuse box: Since you seem to have narrowed things down to aux/conv light kits, I'm guessing that the lights and stereo are sharing a circuit, sub circuit or ground somehow. If so, I'd try another circuit. Make sure the new lights are on the same circuit with the stock lights, and stereo probably on ACC circuit. Normally (and I am thinking cars here) a stereo should work in both IGN and ACC, but most lights should not work in ACC. And make sure the aux/conv lights and stereo are grounded properly too.

Just my 2 cents

Old 04-01-2010, 02:33 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok I unpluged my turn brake Conv kit and the hum stoped so maybe some of you electrical wizzards can help us out here with an answer as to why it does this and also to maybe fix it without a total rewire of the lighting system.
Any help would be great.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:00 PM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used what is called a filter in the power lead to the radio to get rid of hum.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kruzin
I have used what is called a filter in the power lead to the radio to get rid of hum.
I tried that no luck.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:53 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

ripper43 I will try a couple of things this week end, but I have been busy with this

Attached Thumbnails Stereo and hum noise-img_1381.jpg   Stereo and hum noise-img_1383.jpg  
Old 04-02-2010, 02:15 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerbehaviorist
ripper43 I will try a couple of things this week end, but I have been busy with this
NICE!!! OK that will work. I just don't want to hack into the wire harness if I don't have to.

Quick Reply: Stereo and hum noise