Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue smoke out exhaust on deaccelaration

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I broke in my stock motor hard and fast and my built motor was broke in on the Dyno at GMR.
Read this. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Old 04-18-2010, 02:56 PM
NO4NMTL
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BLUE SMOKE!! I have a 07 street glide 26000 miles on a 103" motor forged pistons screamin eagle heads 570 cams vance and hines 2 into 1 and a super race tuner. I just changed the oil and took off to the 49th annual Yuma run on the way over once in a while on deceleration in the twisties she would blow a little blue smoke then it was gone then none for 600 miles but lots of mist coming out of the air cleaner and then just before i got home i was running about 110+ and she started smoking real heavy but never missed a beat still running perfect as always i got home put her up on the lift and pulled the air cleaner the breather tubes were dripping with oil i did a COLD compression check this morning front cylinder shot up to 200 psi on the second revolution the rear hit 210 psi on the second so i assume the rings are ok? the manual says could be a plugged oil filter or oil line or cooler anyone have this problem and found a fix?

Last edited by NO4NMTL; 04-18-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 04-18-2010, 03:28 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your oil level. Could be to full and it coming out the breathers and getting sucked into your intake. Or bad valve seals. I keep my oil level at 1/2 qt low and been doing it that way for many years Zero problems.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

First, you are not "lugging" the engine at 2000 rpm unless you are doing it wide-open in 6th gear up a hill, and even then it likely wouldn't hurt anything once the engine is broken in. I ran my old RK <2000 rpm frequently in high gear, although never under much load, and it now has 120k on the clock with no engine work. Keep in mind that if you run 3000k instead of 2000rpm because you think you are doing your engine a favor, remember that everything is moving 50% faster, and thus most moving parts are sustaining more wear. Road & Track magazine did an article on this a few years back, and their conclusion was that it was not an issue in cars as long as the engine doesn't buck or otherwise obviously protest a given RPM level. In our long-stroke HD engines it would be even less of a concern, IMO.

Blue smoke on decel is likely oil slipping past the valve guides, and I wouldn't worry too much about that until the bike has fully broken in, which may be a few K miles. Rings should already be seated, but it is important to vary the speeds constantly on a new motor. Bad rings will normally make the engine smoke on acceleration.

I would check for oil consumption and/or smoking after the first 1k miles, and if it goes away by then I would bet that you are in high cotton.

FWIW, for those of you reading the Mototuneusa.com article, be advised that no automotive or MC manufacturer that I'm aware of has ever recommended breaking-in an engine like this. If you want to do it, go ahead--but I'll take the mfr's recommendation for a moderate and tapered break-in, especially the warning to vary the speeds constantly.

Last edited by iclick; 04-18-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:41 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

R u running synthetic oil? Sometimes the syn oil works its way past the rings guides even seals if the engine is not properly broke in, I always use dino to break in any engine.