Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install ignition switch on Street Glide?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
rlanggard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install ignition switch on Street Glide?

I took the switch **** out to work on my handlebars and now I can't get it back in the switch housing. The service manual seems to suggest I need an alignment tool, as the **** might have been removed in ACCESS or the switch was moved out of the fork lock position. Does anyone know where I can get an 'alignment tool' or whether some other tool (screwdriver, etc.) might work instead?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rlanggard
I took the switch **** out to work on my handlebars and now I can't get it back in the switch housing. The service manual seems to suggest I need an alignment tool, as the **** might have been removed in ACCESS or the switch was moved out of the fork lock position. Does anyone know where I can get an 'alignment tool' or whether some other tool (screwdriver, etc.) might work instead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QBH...&feature=email

Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

just went through this. IF after the video you still cannot get it, try this. USE the switch lock as you DO NOT NEED an alignment tool..Slide lock down into the tube until you are in position with the upper cylinders in the lock housing then SLOWLY and I mean SLOWLY turn the **** while pushing downward until you find the position of the lower cylinder. Then turn back to LOCK and push downward until it bottoms out on the tree. Now pull the switch UP ever so slightly, perhaps maybe 1/8" of an inch give or take and you'll hear the button you pushed in click into place. Turn your switch lock through the various positions. NOTE TO SELF: This sounds easy, don't ask me how I know nor don't ask me how many damned hours it took me of farting with this to come up with this particular solutions but it DOES work. I've taken it in and out 10 times and works every time and you do NOT need a HD (hundred dollar) tool.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM
rlanggard
Advanced

Thanks for the video and the advice. I used an old point file, which was about the right diameter, to reposition the tumbler and after that in it went, no problem. I should have been more careful when I removed the switch in the first place - but I will remember for next time!

Old 05-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Bunky012
Stage II
Default Reinstalling an Ignition Switch on a 2010 Street Glide

I installed a set of Kuryakyn lights (model 5005) on my 2010 Street Glide over about a 2.5 hour time period, when I finally got to the last leg of the installation...the installation of the ignition switch. After trying to install the switch for 1.5 hours and it being 1:30 am I was exhausted and when to bed. About that time I was contemplating how much it would cost to have my motorcycle towed to the dealer after the technical support calls I had made to Kuryakyn went unanswered. I woke up the next morning thinking that I could possible get some answers on the internet. I watched the 5 minute video provided in this blog and remembered somewhere reading 'I don't know how he did it but I remember him using a large bladed screwdriver'. Putting the video and the quote together I remembered I had just bought a set of screwdrivers and one was large bladed. I proceeded to place the screwdriver into the ignition switch hole and was able to sweep the switch into all four different positions, just like in the viewed video. I then turned the screwdriver to the fork locked position, withdrew the screwdriver then installed the ignition switch without any further incident. I believe one has to sweep the screwdriver through all of the four positions, ending up in the locked fork position, to align the tumblers in the hole, prior to installing the ignition switch. The measurements of the large screwdriver's shaft that I used were: 5-7/8" long, 5/16" diameter with a blade 7/16" wide. I hope this helps in your ... Glide ignition switch installations.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:20 PM
firedog341
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Badbagger
just went through this. IF after the video you still cannot get it, try this. USE the switch lock as you DO NOT NEED an alignment tool..Slide lock down into the tube until you are in position with the upper cylinders in the lock housing then SLOWLY and I mean SLOWLY turn the **** while pushing downward until you find the position of the lower cylinder. Then turn back to LOCK and push downward until it bottoms out on the tree. Now pull the switch UP ever so slightly, perhaps maybe 1/8" of an inch give or take and you'll hear the button you pushed in click into place. Turn your switch lock through the various positions. NOTE TO SELF: This sounds easy, don't ask me how I know nor don't ask me how many damned hours it took me of farting with this to come up with this particular solutions but it DOES work. I've taken it in and out 10 times and works every time and you do NOT need a HD (hundred dollar) tool.
+1. Worked for me awhile back.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

when i changed mine, i used a big flat head screw driver,if i rememer you dont go all the way to the bottom ,then turn the part in their but not the bottom one,and worked perfect

Old 05-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Hydroboy35th
Cruiser

Originally Posted by solowrider
when i changed mine, i used a big flat head screw driver,if i rememer you dont go all the way to the bottom ,then turn the part in their but not the bottom one,and worked perfect
+1, this worked for me too!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great tech tip, thank you.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Yep, a large flathead screwdriver and a flashlight is all that's needed. Just match the tumblers up with the cams and you're done in five minutes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to install ignition switch on Street Glide?