Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   No more HARSH Ultra Classic ride!! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/501196-no-more-harsh-ultra-classic-ride.html)

TomWoodgeard 04-10-2010 04:23 PM

No more HARSH Ultra Classic ride!!

:icon_woot: Howard, you da man!! For over 3 years and 2 Ultra Classics, I have been jolted by the dips and launched by the bumps. It's a wonder I have any spine left.
Took the plunge and ordered the Ohlins from Howard at Motorcycle Metal.
They were made for my weight - 170lbs, riding style - desire for plushness, my wife's weight - 115 lbs, and the fact that I ride solo 70% of the time.
After I installed them, took a ride over the dips and bumps I always hit. What a DIFFERENCE!! No more hitting the bump stop on the shocks on dips and no more hopping over bumps.
I called Howard and told him how great they felt. His response, "Wait until 500 miles when they are broken in. They are going to get even better"
All I can say is.....WOW

TomWoodgeard 04-10-2010 04:24 PM

I almost forgot..... NICE discount for forum members!!

ashmarc 04-10-2010 05:01 PM

Glad you like your new ride.......not to be argumentative but, I've had my Ultra for almost 4 years and love the stock rideability (is that a word?).

grbrown 04-10-2010 05:17 PM

Tom,

Glad to hear your news! I also have Ohlins from Howard and expect to ride on them for the first time any day now.

Uncle Scrooge 04-10-2010 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ashmarc (Post 6547990)
Glad you like your new ride.......not to be argumentative but, I've had my Ultra for almost 4 years and love the stock rideability (is that a word?).

Same here. This sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

grbrown 04-10-2010 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge (Post 6548069)
Same here. This sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

If you follow discussions on the HDF forums you will find a steady trickle of Harley owners who are not happy with the ride their bikes give them, especially two up with the love of their live behind. If your bike is OK, you are blessed! Enjoy your ride. :icon_moped:

For the few of us who are not happy, there are the likes of Howard of Motorcycle Metal who make a living out of supplying shocks for a superior ride. There is a market for that sort of thing, supplying high quality solutions to an established problem. ;)

Dionicio 04-10-2010 06:45 PM

Hmmmmmmmm, Harsh riding Ultra's, Did'nt know there was such a thing.

Suede Blue Man 04-10-2010 07:55 PM

I wouldn't mind trying a set of those Ohlins on my UC either, I bet they do make a difference. I'm a bit suprised that some of you are in denial about how smooth a ride can be, especially with top notch components.

Ohlins ain't cheap but they are great. Like everything else anymore, I wish they did cost less, it'd be an easier pill to swallow.

I'd be interested to know how much better they get after the break-in period.

Happy Trails with them!

ashmarc 04-10-2010 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man (Post 6548638)
I'm a bit suprised that some of you are in denial about how smooth a ride can be

OK.....I'll bite.....

My bike could also be....faster, lower, a different color.....the list goes on.

But if I'm pleased with something on my bike, that doesn't mean I'm in denial.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

mike5511 04-10-2010 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ashmarc (Post 6548679)
OK.....I'll bite.....

My bike could also be....faster, lower, a different color.....the list goes on.

But if I'm pleased with something on my bike, that doesn't mean I'm in denial.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Very true.....and let's face it, some of US are NEVER satisfied!!!!:D