Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo touring luggage options - W/O Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:14 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Solo touring luggage options - W/O Tour Pak

I've been searching for the past few days and am still not sure what to do.

The Chopped Tour-Pak with FBI quick release would set me back around 1k with the cusion, Pak and FBI Kit. That's pretty steep at this point.

I have the Brawler seat and have been looking for a way to mount something like the Kury Grand Tour Pak behind the solo seat. From what I've read, i'll need a sissy bar to help support it and could maybe get away with a luggage rack behind the solo seat. Haven't found a rack that fits with the Brawler seat though.

Have any of you gone this route? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:16 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done plent of touring with the Kuryakyn Ultra Tour Bag strapped on in a variety of ways. I've used the detachable passenger backrest, but have had no issues whatsoever without it.

This past summer I logged over 10,000 miles with the pack strapped over the Motherwell's solo rack. That having been said, I've got a different seat setup than you do. The little pad on the Brawler hels the seat blend into the rear fender but it really doesn't do much for function.

You could probably get into a new seat, a good bag and a rack for less than the 1K you mentioned for a tour pack!!!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:18 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thing that might cause a hitch. The Kuryakyn bag was held on by a strap that I routed down to the saddlebag guards. I see that you don't have them on your bike, at least in your signature pic. This provides for a really solid mount, enough so for me to kick on the cruise control, put my feet up on the pegs and lean back against the pack without it going anywhere or shifting on me.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the brawler seat,too. I was trying to go the way you are, but ended up to with a leather tour pak, solo mounted. It seems better IMO and if you get it from chicagoharley.com you get 20% off

Old 04-14-2010, 04:37 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master

I think after the discount the Chopped/King tour packs come out to about the same price. 575ish.. Sucks they don't come with a cushion. that adds another 120 bucks.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:51 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

here's mine 2pt dock with standard height sissy bar and brawler seat. eventually I'll get a chopped tourpak

Attached Thumbnails Solo touring luggage options - W/O Tour Pak-sg-2010-tbag-052.jpg   Solo touring luggage options - W/O Tour Pak-sg-2010-tbag-056.jpg  

Last edited by flhxkiller; 04-14-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 429 Likes on 176 Posts

I have a Mustang solo with backrest and a Motherwell luggage rack. I use the rider backrest and attach the bag to the backrest. I strap it down, with nylon straps, to the chrome hardware that used to be used for the seat strap and I bungee the bag to the rack.

Here is my setup. The rack was abut $60 and the bag was about $60. It has a low center of gravity and is very secure. I used it on a 3500 mile trip last year and it worked great.

The following users liked this post:
maxxym (08-01-2021)
Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master

Really like that setup SC. At this rate i'll have plenty of seats! Had a mustang on my old bike and it's now on my wife's. Loved that seat, just thought I wanted something a little more sleek.

Brawler isn't soft by any stretch of the imagination. I haven't gotten sore from it yet though.

On that note, with a luggage rack that setup would work perfect for her bike, just need to get a backrest.. Hmm.. Might score me some brownie points too

Last edited by SDVmnt; 04-14-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want something a little different, lockable, and still 'genuine HD', try something like this. (without rails and/or mini luggage rack for cleaner look)

Attached Thumbnails Solo touring luggage options - W/O Tour Pak-dsc04041.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 AM
SDVmnt
Road Master

What pack is that Butcher? looks kinda like a Chopped pak?

Quick Reply: Solo touring luggage options - W/O Tour Pak