Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King fast idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 PM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King fast idling problem

On my way home today from work, my bike started idling faster and faster. I managed to get it home and in the garage before things got out of hand. Shutting the bike completely down and then starting it, the bike idles at what sounds like 3-4 time the normal RPMs and it seems to be getting worse.

I checked my throttle and idle cables, which appear fine. The throttle grip snaps back into place when released. The intake butterfly action mirrors the grip rotation perfectly, and is horizontal at full throttle and closed at idle.

I disconnected the battery for a while, blindly hoping to reset what may have been a temporary EFI bug. Problem persisted.

The Road King is stock with a Ness Big Sucker, Cycle Shack slip-ons, Fulsac dual exhaust conversion, and Power Commander III from Fuel Moto.

Last year, the local stealership claimed I had a crack in my intake module but I have been unable to locate it. I mentioned same to the local independent during some service and they never mentioned seeing it.

Anyone got any ideas? This has got me worried. I was planning on using the bike for a week long road trip starting this Friday. Doh!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Hrod
Intermediate

2K,

Try this...To reset your idle setting back turn the ignition switch on for 10 seconds off for 10 seconds (do not start the engine), repeat a total of 4 times. That should reset your original throttle position.

Hrod

The following users liked this post:
TiRider (10-11-2018)
Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

2K,

Try this...To reset your idle setting back turn the ignition switch on for 10 seconds off for 10 seconds (do not start the engine), repeat a total of 4 times. That should reset your original throttle position.
Hrod is correct for the reset procedure, at least for the fly by wire throttle system. I don't know if it applies to the cable controlled throttle.

You may have a throttle position sensoe going out (TPS)

An air leak between the carb/throttle body will result in a higher idle RPM.

You did say what year your bike is.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrod
2K,

Hrod
I had an '08 RK with a fast idling problem, dealer showed me how to reset the idle as in the quote, and then he told me never to have my hand on the throttle when turning off the bike, just one finger on the kill switch. He said if the throttle is advanced even a little bit when turning off, it will increase the idle next time you start it. This worked for me, and seemed to solve my problem.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year bike? If you dont have the throttle by wire, check your IAC it may not be closing when its suppose to motor could be going bad in it.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer

I just went out to the garage and attempted the throttle position reset as described by Hrod. Attempt to start after procedure resulted in high idle still, unfortunately.

The bike is a 2001 FLHPI.

Man, I want to convert this bike to carb more and more.

Fireaxxe, what is "IAC?"

Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K1FLHPI
I just went out to the garage and attempted the throttle position reset as described by Hrod. Attempt to start after procedure resulted in high idle still, unfortunately.

The bike is a 2001 FLHPI.

Man, I want to convert this bike to carb more and more.

Fireaxxe, what is "IAC?"
Its the Idle Air control. It bypasses the throttle by pulling more or less air around the throttle plate when it is closed. It is used to help the bike warm up so that you wont have to hold the throttle open manually, its suppose to close more and more after the engine is warm if it is not operating properly it will cause a too high or too low idle. Have you eliminated the possibility of an intake leak if not take a little propane cylinder and go around the intake and notice if the idle changes as you move the outlet of the cylinder around different areas of the intake.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:43 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

A buddy of mine had similar symptoms and found the idle adjust setscrew was loose. The loctite broke and the setscrew just kept working its way toward the engine resulting in a fast idle

Old 04-21-2010, 12:47 AM
coliseum
Tourer

his bike is not throttle by wire so the reset procedure wont work... its probably a loose screw somewhere or ur fuel pump maybe?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,879 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Make sure the connection between the PC III and the ECM is dry. I had a similar problem on another bike and it turned out that water had seeped in.

Break the connections, blow it out with compressed air, put in some dielectric grease and reconnect.

Quick Reply: Road King fast idling problem