Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering An Electra Glide Classic

Old 04-22-2010, 04:20 PM
bc3
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering An Electra Glide Classic

Thinking about buying an Electra Glide Classic. Problem is I have short legs. Can the bike be lowered 1 1/2 inches, or just an inch? Also probably need a Reach seat. I have a 28 inch inseam and I am on my toes with the standard heigh and seat.

Last edited by bc3; 04-22-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 30 inseam and have no problem. Look into a lower seat. Secondly what are you wearing on your feet? I wear boots with at least an inch thick heel. Do you have rear air shocks? If so let some air out. I only run 10 psi riding by myself......Those are the cheap options. There are lowering kits for the rear, and shorter shocks, also lowering springs for the front....I helped all I can.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Several ways of lowering it. Doing the rear is easy.
Cheapest is lowering blocks for the rear shocks, you can find them in most catalogs or on E-bay I don't know any brands to recommend. That is how mine is lowered.
You can replace the rear shocks. Street Glide stock shocks are 1" shorter, you might find some takeoffs.
Several aftermarket shocks out there as well, Progressive seems to be the most popular brand.
Caution if you lower the rear too much the tire can rub on wiring under the rear fender especially if your a big guy or ride 2up. 1" seems to be OK.

If you want to lower the front there are lowering kits for that as well (Again the stock Street Glide parts will lower it 1"). There is quite a bit of labor in lowering the front end, if your thinking about going to chrome forks, do both at the same time.

A third option is the seat. Several companies will reshape the stock seat or make a seat that will sit lower. Harley sells a "reach" seat that will move you forward and lower.

Not sure what year of bike your looking at but the frame changed on '09 models and the seat is wider than the '08 and earlier. This makes the '09 and '10 bikes feel taller than the '08 and earlier bikes. The new frame does make the bike handle a little better.

The following users liked this post:
marktruckee (08-23-2017)
Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Flip over the swingarm - no cost, just time. You'll have to re-adjust your bag location. Mine's been this way for 6 years and 20K + miles. Someone's going to come unglued over this but that's how mine is...

Old 04-23-2010, 12:47 AM
plumpbiker
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bc3
Thinking about buying an Electra Glide Classic. Problem is I have short legs. Can the bike be lowered 1 1/2 inches, or just an inch? Also probably need a Reach seat. I have a 28 inch inseam and I am on my toes with the standard heigh and seat.
I have the same problem. Shorter shocks will give you an inch. A reach seat will give you another 1/2 inch or more. And as mentioned, the thickest sole boots you can find. I have about the same inseam and so far I have not had to lower the front end, but it's always an option. An overall frame drop of 1 inch will still leave you with pretty good ground clearance. You just won't be able to slide a Sears bike jack under it without a little doing a little extra work. I've done it on two Road Kings and one Electraglide, with no issues.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:52 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get a Street Glide and add a tour Pack.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:35 PM
otha1947@tds.net
3rd Gear

09 EGC. had the same problem. 28 inseam. went with a reach seat, back lowering shocks and thicker soled shoes. I would consider lowering blocks if you can get them. Their less expensive and you still have good response. The lowering shocks made the smooth ride leave. It is still a reach but a whole lot better. The stock seat is wide in the front. (made my legs bow out) A friend had his narrowed in the front and scooped out. He later bought a hammock seat.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:59 PM
jrock387
Advanced

Originally Posted by bc3
check out: http://road6customs.com/products-pag...lowering-kits/ they have a kit that will lower the bike 1-3 inches. i have one on my street glide and love it its only $50 and takes 20-30 minutes to install.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:41 PM
captain midnite
Stage II

I did the same thing on my 92' flhtp
I am buying a new 2011 flhtp can the same be done on this year??

Old 07-14-2011, 01:45 PM
captain midnite
Stage II

I flipped the swing arm on my 92' flhtp
Can this still be done on a 2011 flhtp?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering An Electra Glide Classic