Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Anybody know how to adjust headlight? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/509800-anybody-know-how-to-adjust-headlight.html)

xdanman 05-01-2010 09:50 AM

Anybody know how to adjust headlight?

I am new to this forum and Harleys. I bought a 2010 Ultra classic this tuesday. I had the rear shocks lowered and forgot to adjust the headlight down, Anybody know how? I will get it back to the dealer if I get the chance.

Morris9982 05-01-2010 09:56 AM

If your bike is like most, there are two holes in your headlight trim ring, one on the top and one on the side. Turning the top one adjusts the light up and down.

Leftcoaster 05-01-2010 11:11 AM

Very easy to do and the Service Manual will give you the "how to".

KCFLHRC 05-01-2010 12:05 PM

The procedure is actually in your owners manual. You should have probably lowered the front too. I find just lowering the rear of the bike makes it handle strange.:icon_rtfm:

Mick 05-01-2010 12:45 PM

Looking at the headlight from the front , turn the top phillips head screw counter clockwise to lower the beam.
Measure from the ground to the middle of the lense , mark this on a wall , mark a spot 4" below the original mark.
You have to be 25 feet away from the wall , flat ground , etc.....
Sit on the bike and jounce it a couple times , you want the strongest part of the beam at the 4" mark you made under the level mark you made first.
Only use the low beam to aim , the high beam will take care of itself.
This is the spec in most states , 4" drop at 25 feet on low beam.
Mick

Ronp42 05-01-2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by KCFLHTC (Post 6650153)
The procedure is actually in your owners manual. You should have probably lowered the front too. I find just lowering the rear of the bike makes it handle strange.:icon_rtfm:

To some it might, But I've lowered the last two touring bikes one inch in the rear and actually felt like it handles better. I have never lowered the front of my bike. Was told by one of the best HD mechanics I ever met, he didn't recommend lowering the front. Said he won't do it!

Wanna Ride 05-02-2010 03:20 PM

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but the best money you can spend on your bike is $50 for a service manual.

Even if you're not mechanically-inclined. It just helps to understand your new ride.

ghenstorf 03-28-2011 06:50 PM

I got a digital service manual on EBAY for 14.00. It is HD factory on CD so I can take it anywhere I have a computer. I have laptops everywhere including my shop for ECM tuning and reading. Saves space and is green!

emwolb 03-28-2011 06:57 PM

take a phillips head screwdriver along with you and go for a ride at night. it's easy to figure out how to adjust your headlight. read your owners manual, or better yet, spend the money to get a service manual. there are two access areas around your headlight that allow for adjusting it.

straightleg 03-28-2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 6650291)
Looking at the headlight from the front , turn the top phillips head screw counter clockwise to lower the beam.
Measure from the ground to the middle of the lense , mark this on a wall , mark a spot 4" below the original mark.
You have to be 25 feet away from the wall , flat ground , etc.....
Sit on the bike and jounce it a couple times , you want the strongest part of the beam at the 4" mark you made under the level mark you made first.
Only use the low beam to aim , the high beam will take care of itself.
This is the spec in most states , 4" drop at 25 feet on low beam.
Mick

What about left and right. Do you want to be straight out from the bike?

Straightleg