Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's keepin' their recalled helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Who's keepin' their recalled helmet?

I'm wondering if anyone has decided to keep their ACC carbon fiber helmet in spite of the recalled safety issue?
I was ready to send mine back but after searching for a new helmet I may be deciding to keep it.
I have purchased a Daytona Carbon Fiber helmet and sent it back. After receiving it I realized it wasn't worth nowhere what I paid for it (162.50 w/shipping). The Daytona would be a decent helmet for around $50 so if you are thinking of going with a Daytona, stick with the cheaper polycarbonate variety. Note; it did look like a mushroom on your head.
I next considered a HCI but decided against it because the weighed a little over 2 lbs and I though that may become uncomfortable after an hour or two. Also I was told by the manufacturer that it does give you a mushroom head.
So, after all that I went to my dealer and dropped $200 on a new hybrid lightweight helmet. This helmet is definity constucted well, is fairly comfortable on my head although it also creates the mushroom look and worst of all, give me bad helmet head. LOL!
Today I took a ride and doned my ACC Carbon Fiber and it was love all over again. I love this helmet but would not give my life for it so I'm wondering what most are doing with regards to the recall.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:17 PM
jl28
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im keeping mine and still wear it.It passed before thats good enough for me.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:24 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...nd-production/

Actually, it looks like it never really passed. I sent back the two I had, got my check for $350, and bought this today for $80:

http://www.z1rhelmets.com/productDet...2028&leaf=2034

Not too mushroomy and really comfortable, and from all accounts, it actually DID pass.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jl28
Im keeping mine and still wear it.It passed before thats good enough for me.
I think the D.O.T. never actually tests the product instead they accept the manufacturers test results. Makes you wonder how many other helmets out there may flunk an actual test by the D.O.T.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CHEESE

Actually, it looks like it never really passed. I sent back the two I had, got my check for $350, and bought this today for $80:
good article. Actually explains what really happened.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:45 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm keeping mine forever. It is by far the lightest most comfortable used to be DOT helmet I have ever worn.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 AM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I've been wearing their non DOT for about 3 years. It is the most comfortable
helmet I've ever owned,besides being all I can find to fit my fat head. I guess
I'll wear it till it falls apart. They also have some of the best service I've ever
dealt with.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:43 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEESE

http://www.z1rhelmets.com/productDet...2028&leaf=2034

Not too mushroomy and really comfortable, and from all accounts, it actually DID pass.
So after 5 attempts, the gov't shut them down? Must have been some bribery in their somewhere. Someone got paid off or something. That's lunacy!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll keep mine...it fits good and to me anyway looks like it would provide as much protection as any other 1/2 helmet I've ever had. I have picked up a Scorpion exo 100 to try out, pretty neat and fits good, but doesn't fit or look as good as my ACC polo helmet

Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I still have mine, but I also have the return slip from ACC. I'm still on the fence if I will actually return it or not. I have not tried any other half helmets except for the ones on display at the Harley dealer and the ones I see online don't seem to be any better for protecting my head than the ACC. Funny thing is I live in Illinois, which doesn't have a helmet law, I might wear it 5% of the time....

Quick Reply: Who's keepin' their recalled helmet?