Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Leak - Suggestions?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:25 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Leak - Suggestions?

Hi All,
I installed the HD oil cooler on Friday and took it for a ride on Saturday. Noticed I have a leak which either appears to be from the oil filter or from the oil filter adapter. I tighten down the oil filter hoping that this works. If not, I don't really want to take off the oil filter adapter and have to buy a new gasket. Do you guys think if it still leaks, that I should just take off the oil filter and tighten down the adapter some more hoping this solves the leak or should I go all out and also take off the oil filter adapter and get a new gasket as well? I'd only like to have to buy one oil filter as once I take off the old one (yes, I used a new one when installing the oil cooler) I'll have to replace it again. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I installed the oil filter adapter gasket "dry" per the instructions and used the proper torque (actually a little bit more but not too much).
Thanks.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:39 PM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was this a Jagg cooler? If so, the hose clamps probably need to be tightened again. They will loosen up after you get it up to normal operating temperature the first time.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:43 PM
SLONEZ
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an oil cooler on mine when I bought it. Seems the hoses were put on the adapter before adapter installation cause the clamp screws were facing the engine. I took it all off and installed with the hose clamps accessible from above and below. Hose clamps will need tightening after the first ride or two. Check your hose clamps before you take it all apart. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:48 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by buttman
Was this a Jagg cooler?
HD cooler.

Did you oil the filter gasket?

I would clean everything then check where its coming from.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Is it just a few drops, or is everything wet with oil ? ? ? When I put mine on I had a few drops, Tighten clamps, wipe all down no more drops.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
albatross
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 216 Posts

They may recommend mounting the gasket dry but you'll be a lot better off using a good quality sealant on both sides of the gasket. Been there and done that.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My Jagg hoses/clamps were fine for a week. Then I took an 800-mi RoadTrip to San Jose. By Grants Pass (400-mi?), the whole left side of the engine and my pantleg were coated. Didn't have any tools, so I added a quart and rode on. I was leaking a quart every 400 miles. Checked/added every fill-up, and kept an eye on my idiot light. When I got home, the hose clamps (under the filter at the adapter nipples) were loose by about 2 full turns each. That hose softens up with heat. Good luck.

Check the hose

Old 05-02-2010, 09:13 PM
neonflx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i nstalled my hd cooler 2 days ago and it is also leaking from where the adapter and the housing meet where the gaske is ,is not a big leak is more like damp but is annoying to me i wiped it out real good and went for a ride twice and the dampness reappear each time, i'm taking mine apart tomorro and adding some quality sealant on the gasket

Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not using anything on the adaptor gasket is a crap shoot. If you think it is the adaptor gasket leaking, pull it off. Get some Indian Head Shellac(comes in a small brown plastic bottle and is made by Permatex) Clean all oil from gasket, adaptor, and filter mounting face on engine. Now spray some carb cleaner or brake cleaner on the tip of a rag and wipe both surfaces that the gasket will seal to. Now put a thin layer of the shellac on the gasket and the surface of the adaptor. Let dry for a few minutes and then place gasket on the adaptor. Now go do somthing else for about twenty minutes or so. Ok, now you put a thin layer of the shellac on the other side of the gasket and let that dry. When thats dry, install the adaptor as per instructions. You should be high and dry.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:34 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, it looks like it was just the oil filter, not tight enough. I cleaned it up real good and tighten down the oil filter. Then went on a pretty good ride and it appears to have worked. I'll check again in the morning after everything cools down. The leak wasn't coming from any of the hoses. Thanks for all of the suggestions, if it starts leaking, I try that sealant stuff as suggested. I'll also check the hose clamps to make sure they don't come loose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Leak - Suggestions?