Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Air Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Street Glide Purchase

Okay great, sounds like a lot of chrome goodies. I hope the price is right. As far as the shocks go that's what I ran progressive 440's but I had them in 11". You didn't mention height. In any event shocks are easy to change and relatively inexpensive unless you go to the more exotic suspensions available out there. I believe the shortest you can get the 440's is 11" so this bike is definitely not slammed as you originally had been told. It's just as well because your ride would definitely suffer. The bike might handle better lowered but ride height is always a factor as far as how it takes bumps in the road. Shock travel will suffer as you lower the bike. Shock travel translates to how much the suspension will travel before it hits the bump stops in the shock. It also means that if you have no travel or alot less you'll be hitting that stop more often and feeling that jolt. Try the progressives for a while if you like the bike. You can always change out the shocks and certainly other stuff to make it your own down the road. The main thing is to be safe. Good luck with your purchase. Keep us in the loop and let us know how you do.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to disagree with Overdoo but if your shocks are 11" your bike certainly has been "slammed". The shorter the shock, the harsher the ride (due to a stiffer spring used on the shorter shock).
If you go back to the stock air shocks the change will involve re-installing the air lines and fittings. So the length of the Progressives is the key factor here. If they are the same length as the air shocks (12") you're good to go unless the bike is still too tall for you. In that case you have to do what you have to do, just as Overdoo did.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:21 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

have you contacted the guy who owned the bike when it was changed over to being lowered? he may just still have the stock shocks. i have an 08 streetglide too, and i'd like to find someone nearby to swap my short shocks for their stock length electraglide shocks, being as i'm not short. who knows, platform shoes might come back in style.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:36 AM
The Reg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day All;

The Reg here, from Perth Western Australia.

I am about to look at a 2009 Street Glide to buy and from this discussion not sure what the standard rear shocks are like for 'two up and loaded touring'. Are they Air Shocks like the electra glides? I had a 2001 FLHT which was excellent and after 6 years went to a Superglide and a Honda ST1300....but the 'Call' of the Touring Harley is strong again.
I think the standard rear shock travel is 2 inches...which doesn't sound like much. Any comments will be welcome,

Cheers.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:21 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Sorry to disagree with Overdoo but if your shocks are 11" your bike certainly has been "slammed". The shorter the shock, the harsher the ride (due to a stiffer spring used on the shorter shock).
If you go back to the stock air shocks the change will involve re-installing the air lines and fittings. So the length of the Progressives is the key factor here. If they are the same length as the air shocks (12") you're good to go unless the bike is still too tall for you. In that case you have to do what you have to do, just as Overdoo did.
In my mind slammed means down in the 10s someplace. When you run an air ride such as Arnott you can let the bike down as far as the shock will let you which is like I said in the 10s some where. The ride is as I have said awful. Through all the posts I have said that shorter shocks mean less shock travel which mean a potentially harsher ride. Like I said in one of my replies I have been running Bitchen Baggers shocks in 10 3/4" because of my height. When I got them I never could get a decent ride. I called Ron I think his name is and we discussed my problem. His first question was how much air was I running. I told him like the Harley manual states somewhere between 8 and 12 lbs depending on weight. He said start at 20 lbs because it's a shorter shock. I tried 20 and wound up at 25. It is like night and day. The ride is very comfortable an no more hitting the bump stops in the shock or launches on bigger bumps.
As far as running the air lines and fittings it's all flexible tubing and couldn't be easier if that's the way she decides to go.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by The Reg
G'day All;

The Reg here, from Perth Western Australia.

I am about to look at a 2009 Street Glide to buy and from this discussion not sure what the standard rear shocks are like for 'two up and loaded touring'. Are they Air Shocks like the electra glides? I had a 2001 FLHT which was excellent and after 6 years went to a Superglide and a Honda ST1300....but the 'Call' of the Touring Harley is strong again.
I think the standard rear shock travel is 2 inches...which doesn't sound like much. Any comments will be welcome,

Cheers.
The air shocks on the street glide are the same design as the electra glide but I think the standard length of the EG is 13" where as as you have said the SG is 12". I think you"ll be fine by adding some extra air in the shocks. You have to experiment with how much. Check the manual for a starting point or do a search on here for what some of the others are running.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 AM
The Reg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdoo
The air shocks on the street glide are the same design as the electra glide but I think the standard length of the EG is 13" where as as you have said the SG is 12". I think you"ll be fine by adding some extra air in the shocks. You have to experiment with how much. Check the manual for a starting point or do a search on here for what some of the others are running.
Thanks Overdoo....I actually went to see the guy today and negotiated a good price, so It's mine on Monday!!! ( My 59th Birthday....) I'll take your advice and further on here and also experiment with Air Pressure. I'll probably get a more comfy touring seat as well to keep my pillion in good shape!

Cheers,

The Reg