Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Best route from Sturgis to Yellowstone (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/513988-best-route-from-sturgis-to-yellowstone.html)

bunotz 05-11-2010 04:12 PM

Best route from Sturgis to Yellowstone

I am looking for a good route from Sturgis to Yellowstone and a nice place to stay on the east side of Yellowstone. Any recommendations??

103Eagle 05-11-2010 04:59 PM

Well back in 04 we ran this as part of our trip from Ohio. From Sturgis we went up and saw Devils tower, passed thru Gillette, into Sheridan were we spent the night, over the Bighorns (great ride) and onto Red Lodge, where we spent the night. From Red Lodge we went over Bear Tooth (a dont miss ride) and into Cooke City. At this point you are just about at NE entrance to Yellowstone. We did lunch in Cooke City but backtracked to Chief Joseph Highway (another outstanding ride) and took this into Cody, where we spent the night. Plenty of hotels and food there. From there you can ride into Yellowstone. I have the exact routes saved but dunno where at the moment. Let me know if ya cant find any of this on a map.

bosco 09 05-11-2010 05:12 PM

Good info, thanks.

gmc 05-11-2010 05:16 PM

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...est-route.html

Punjabi Rider 05-11-2010 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 103Eagle (Post 6699176)
Well back in 04 we ran this as part of our trip from Ohio. From Sturgis we went up and saw Devils tower, passed thru Gillette, into Sheridan were we spent the night, over the Bighorns (great ride) and onto Red Lodge, where we spent the night. From Red Lodge we went over Bear Tooth (a dont miss ride) and into Cooke City. At this point you are just about at NE entrance to Yellowstone. We did lunch in Cooke City but backtracked to Chief Joseph Highway (another outstanding ride) and took this into Cody, where we spent the night. Plenty of hotels and food there. From there you can ride into Yellowstone. I have the exact routes saved but dunno where at the moment. Let me know if ya cant find any of this on a map.

+1 done that ride in 2007 just have a reservation or arrive early in Red Lodge or might have trouble finding a place to stay some times.

jmorganroadglide 05-11-2010 08:10 PM

once you get close to wyoming get to hiway 24 and do the devils tower. this is a nice ride. once on I-90 go as fast a you can to just north of sheridan. the take hiway 14 over the bighorn mountains. this ride will surprise you for it's beauty. there was some road work on this road last september. doubt if it is complete but it is still nice. we took 14 south into greybull, but i would recommend 14 alt to lovell. we spent the nite in cody. one day from deadwood to cody is a full day. cody has a nice gun museum if your into guns. easy ride from cody to the park. only ate dinner in red lodge, but the town looked interesting with some charm. beartooth is a must but we got a little snow in july/08. you can have a snowball fight at the summit in july. never stayed east of the park, always west yellowstone, mt. this town is a little pricey. cody, wy is a nice town, stayed downtown in old hotel across from the harley dealership. need reservations. watch out for suicidal antelope all across wyoming. have a nice trip.

stro1965 05-11-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide (Post 6699941)
once you get close to wyoming get to hiway 24 and do the devils tower. this is a nice ride. once on I-90 go as fast a you can to just north of sheridan. the take hiway 14 over the bighorn mountains. this ride will surprise you for it's beauty. there was some road work on this road last september. doubt if it is complete but it is still nice. we took 14 south into greybull, but i would recommend 14 alt to lovell. we spent the nite in cody. one day from deadwood to cody is a full day. cody has a nice gun museum if your into guns. easy ride from cody to the park. only ate dinner in red lodge, but the town looked interesting with some charm. beartooth is a must but we got a little snow in july/08. you can have a snowball fight at the summit in july. never stayed east of the park, always west yellowstone, mt. this town is a little pricey. cody, wy is a nice town, stayed downtown in old hotel across from the harley dealership. need reservations. watch out for suicidal antelope all across wyoming. have a nice trip.

This is the exact route we took to Yellowstone after Sturgis last year. I was surprised at how many of the roads through the mountains were torn up, some of it was darn near treacherous on a bike! I was also surprised that it took us a full day to get to Cody, it didn't look that far on the map! You WILL want to ride the Chief Joseph and Bear Tooth, amazing scenery! We did it twice while we were out there.

bdp 05-11-2010 10:03 PM

We left Sturgis around 7am went into Montana and headed west to Billings, went through Red Lodge, Bear Tooth pass and the the second town after Bear Tooth pass was Silver Gate if I recall and Its right at the North entrance to Yellowstone.

Anyhow, we stayed in a whore house right there in the middle of Silver Gate. No bullshit, we took a step back in time about 100 years, the rooms were cheap just a bed, a night stand and a light. Community shower was good enough. Kinda neat each door had a wooden plaque with the girls name from back in the day.

rapz 05-11-2010 10:19 PM

In '08 we rode from Deadwood to Cody and stayed at Holiday Inn then on to Cooke City then to the NW corner of Yellowstone where we camped out. Plan on getting to campsite early enough to find a campsite. It's crowded in July/August.

bigskyhd 05-11-2010 10:32 PM

Whatever route you take, these are the must....1. Beartooth Pass 2. Redlodge 3. Chief Joesph pass 4. Cody (The Irma Hotel for Prime Rib Buffet, Best in the west) and then roll right into East Yellowstone from Cody.