Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change from 5 Speed To 6 Speed

Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 AM
denviola
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Baker DD6 in my 2006 dresser, and the big bore kit. 2500 RPM just below 70, only upshift on long hills when carrying a passenger. No gear whine, just a bit louder than normal "clack" when selecting first gear. 3+ years run time, just changed the fluids for the season and no abnormalities found. Will be adding reverse now that I've added a Voyager kit, following my minor stroke. It works nicely, not sure if I would do it again or use the funds to trade up. Not cheap but good quality. Did not install the DD6 myself, although I will install the Baker reverse kit.
Denny

Old 05-24-2010, 06:12 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

I rode a 05 RK and found myself looking for 6th but wasn't that bad??? not sure it makes that much of a diff...

Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I rode a 05 RK and found myself looking for 6th but wasn't that bad??? not sure it makes that much of a diff...
I've done almost half a million miles on a wide variety of bikes and on every one of them have looked for another gear at some time! It is normal IMHO, but doesn't mean we have to fit an extra gear, or yet another one....

Old 05-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NMNSG08
Baker 7speed is nice.I'd go with the baker over the hd.A much better product.
Why is the Baker a "much better product"?

Do the HD 6 speeds have a history of failure?

Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5th gear to 6th gear change

Originally Posted by emwolb
i've got a couple of friends who have 5 speed roadkings. when i've ridden their bikes, i miss the six speed my 08 sg has. before i was used to the six speed though, five seemed like plenty.
The gear ratios are identical to the 5 speed, but 6th is an overdrive.(0.86?)

Okay well help me out with this. I have seen in some write ups about the Bakker being a 1-1 final drive. What actually does this mean. If my friend decides to go with this new transmission what ratio would you actually look for in the 6th gear. What's the best choice.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by Overdoo
The gear ratios are identical to the 5 speed, but 6th is an overdrive.(0.86?)

Okay well help me out with this. I have seen in some write ups about the Bakker being a 1-1 final drive. What actually does this mean. If my friend decides to go with this new transmission what ratio would you actually look for in the 6th gear. What's the best choice.
There are two types of gearbox, those with a direct top gear (no matter how many they have) and others with an overdrive top gear. 6-speed Harleys have an overdrive top of around .86, which means the gearbox pulley is rotating at only .86 x the speed of the clutch, with fifth gear being direct 1-1.

Baker make direct- and over-drive 6-speed gears, also a direct 7-speed. Its worth taking a look at their website!

If your friend fits a direct 6-speed gearbox and he is happy with his bike's current overall gearing, nothing will change, except he will have a closer set of gears to use. If he fits an over-drive gearbox, his fifth gear will be same as it is at present and he will have a higher sixth, for cruisin'!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:58 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I put the SE 6 speed gearset in my 06 UC before I took delivery, because I was always looking for another gear on my 89 EG. I thought it was a little anemic until I changed my primary to 3.37 gearing, now it is much more usable.

I would suggest staying with the 5 speed on a stock bike; however, since his is a 103 I think he will get the use out of a 6 speed.

Last edited by dougbk; 05-24-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The 5 speed on my '03 Electra Glide Classic was plenty of gears and smooth as silk. When I bought my 2008 Street Glide, I thought the 6 speed was going to be the ticket. The 96 c.i. with the 6 speed gets way less gas mileage, clunks when changing gears, and whines in 5th gear. I wish I had my 5 speed back.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by vickers1
The 5 speed on my '03 Electra Glide Classic was plenty of gears and smooth as silk. When I bought my 2008 Street Glide, I thought the 6 speed was going to be the ticket. The 96 c.i. with the 6 speed gets way less gas mileage, clunks when changing gears, and whines in 5th gear. I wish I had my 5 speed back.
Take a look at Baker's website (link a few posts back) where they explain what you describe.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought about doing a swap but after riding with a guy that has a newer ultra and he gets no better milage then I do. Naw don't need the extra gear. Heck 4 gear will easily take me to over 100mph if needed. I don't ride fast much as I usually stick to 70 or less. I don't ever find a need to go any faster then that as you do not gain much unless you are running 11 hours straight which is about a 55 mile dif between 70 and 75. But then I drive a 68 mph truck for a living.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change from 5 Speed To 6 Speed