Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change from 5 Speed To 6 Speed

 
  #21  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:28 AM
beary's Avatar
beary
beary is offline
Elite HDF Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Posts: 4,594
Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

I traded my 02 RKC for an 09 SG. I was trying to be careful breaking in the 09, but I hit the rev-limiter because the 02 didn't have a tach or a rev-limiter. I didn't realize how I RPMs I cruised on my 02 until I got the 09. Even with the six speed of the 09, I get about the same gas mileage as I did with my 02 at the higher cruise RPMs.

Beary
 
  #22  
Old 05-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Notgrownup's Avatar
Notgrownup
Notgrownup is online now
Extreme HDF Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Snow Hill, NC
Posts: 15,953
Received 711 Likes on 568 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grbrown View Post
I've done almost half a million miles on a wide variety of bikes and on every one of them have looked for another gear at some time! It is normal IMHO, but doesn't mean we have to fit an extra gear, or yet another one....
I agree Graham...It was just habit for me...after 45k miles on my 6 spd...i do the same on my wife Suzuki...No big deal...i would get use to it like anything else./...
 
  #23  
Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 PM
bigdumbnoitall00's Avatar
bigdumbnoitall00
bigdumbnoitall00 is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,897
Received 157 Likes on 146 Posts
Default

i think a 103 would pull a taller primary gear just fine and would be less exspensive IF he does A:LOT of highway miles.if u go with a direct 6 speed the 1-1 finall ratio doesnt do a bit of good at higher speeds without taller gearing.
 
  #24  
Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 PM
EasternSP's Avatar
EasternSP
EasternSP is online now
Club Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 19,629
Received 2,070 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Default

I have the 103 kit on the 06RG and installed the Baker DD6. Well worth it and the motor handles it well. You can have a choice of first gear ratios. One that is pretty much like the stock tranny and the other is a little taller. I opted for the taller gearing because the 103 will wrap up in first gear pretty fast. Be sure you have the heavy duty pressure plate on your clutch when running a 6 speed. The stock plate has a pink rectangle on it so it makes it easy to tell if the builder did the upgrade.
 
  #25  
Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 AM
grbrown's Avatar
grbrown
grbrown is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bedford UK
Posts: 42,685
Received 1,770 Likes on 1,613 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00 View Post
i think a 103 would pull a taller primary gear just fine and would be less exspensive IF he does A:LOT of highway miles.if u go with a direct 6 speed the 1-1 finall ratio doesnt do a bit of good at higher speeds without taller gearing.
I run an S&S 107 and have the stock evo 5-speed. My wife and I have just got back from a 2,500 mile tour of Europe and punched along at up to 95mph (on German autobahns!). It really is OK to travel along at around 4k rpm in top gear - nothing stops it!
 
  #26  
Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 AM
Overdoo's Avatar
Overdoo
Overdoo is offline
Road Captain
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 673
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EasternSP View Post
I have the 103 kit on the 06RG and installed the Baker DD6. Well worth it and the motor handles it well. You can have a choice of first gear ratios. One that is pretty much like the stock tranny and the other is a little taller. I opted for the taller gearing because the 103 will wrap up in first gear pretty fast. Be sure you have the heavy duty pressure plate on your clutch when running a 6 speed. The stock plate has a pink rectangle on it so it makes it easy to tell if the builder did the upgrade.
So let me understand this. Will the taller gears give me less RPMS at say cruising speeds or more. I know my 08 SG gives me about 2500 at 70mph. From reading their website it appears that the DD6 is their top of the line transmission. How does it compare cost wise to the SE version. I am assuming these are both bolt in in either case. I really apprecite all this info guys. Thanks again!
 
  #27  
Old 05-25-2010, 06:07 AM
grbrown's Avatar
grbrown
grbrown is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bedford UK
Posts: 42,685
Received 1,770 Likes on 1,613 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Overdoo View Post
So let me understand this. Will the taller gears give me less RPMS at say cruising speeds or more. I know my 08 SG gives me about 2500 at 70mph. From reading their website it appears that the DD6 is their top of the line transmission. How does it compare cost wise to the SE version. I am assuming these are both bolt in in either case. I really apprecite all this info guys. Thanks again!
Yes! If you fit an overdrive gearbox with .86 top gear, you will get .86 x rpm for the same road speed. So at 70mph it would give you 2,500 x .86 = 2,150rpm.

But the Baker DD6 is a direct drive gearbox, so will not change your top gear at all. I live in the UK and cannot comment on US prices, except they are cheaper!
 
  #28  
Old 05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
EasternSP's Avatar
EasternSP
EasternSP is online now
Club Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 19,629
Received 2,070 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Default

As far as the performance between the SE and Baker, I have been told by, who I would consider a competant indy that the SE is not a durable as the Baker. The Baker uses back cut gears for better upshifting, while down shifting, ya need to be a bit more forceful than with the stock tranny. In other words, were the stock tranny, you can just kind of tap it down a gear, the Baker needs a little more force or else you will get gear grind. I got used to it pretty quick and it doesn't bother me anymore. The indy claims that he has down quite a few jobs of cleaning the broken SE gears out of the gear box.
 
  #29  
Old 05-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Northside
Northside is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,248
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Not knocking Baker, but I have been running a S.E. Six Speed for over 5 years behind a pretty healthy twin cam. I have had zero problems. I have a couple of buds who run them too and again no problems. Is the Baker more durable? You can't get more durable than no problems.
 
  #30  
Old 08-30-2010, 07:27 AM
flip180's Avatar
flip180
flip180 is offline
New Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wichita Falls, Tx
Posts: 100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I kicked around the idea of getting a 6 speed on my SG but it gets over 40 mpg's as it is even with a passenger. I also like the fact that at highway speeds, I'm in my power band and don't have to down shift to pass like I've heard some of my friends that ride sixers (6-speeds) having to do.

Flip.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change from 5 Speed To 6 Speed


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: