Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:24 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

If I can make a suggestion...... get some cones and practice very slow tight figure 8’s. I have been riding for 50 years, and still do early in the season every year.

The following users liked this post:
Stud Duck (03-26-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 05:24 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 900 Posts

^^Agree^^

Some will surely not agree with me, but I've found the big baggers to be very unforgiving at slow speeds and tight maneuvers. It's obviously the weight and geometry thing but learning to ride a big touring H-D wasn't as easy for me as I imagined.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
Some will surely not agree with me, but I've found the big baggers to be very unforgiving at slow speeds and tight maneuvers. It's obviously the weight and geometry thing but learning to ride a big touring H-D wasn't as easy for me as I imagined.
I'm reminded of the first time Mrs B and I tried out a hired tandem bicycle! Shortly after we set off, wobbling like heck as I clung on tight up front, we were over-taken by a couple of young lasses on an identical bike, whizzing along at break-neck speed - or so it seemed to us. It's very difficult to relax and give the bike (tandem or dresser) the room to find itself, but it does come - honest!

Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 PM
BCene
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
If I can make a suggestion...... get some cones and practice very slow tight figure 8’s. I have been riding for 50 years, and still do early in the season every year.
Thanks man! Will definitely do that....I downloaded a series titled, "Ride Like a Pro" and it focuses on finding the friction zone, slow turns, etc. for large bikes. I'm signed up to take a class with them in a couple of months as well. I'm certain that there is a lifetime of learning when it comes to control at slow speeds. Thats where I struggle the most!

Old 03-12-2018, 08:59 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by BCene
Thanks man! Will definitely do that....I downloaded a series titled, "Ride Like a Pro" and it focuses on finding the friction zone, slow turns, etc. for large bikes. I'm signed up to take a class with them in a couple of months as well. I'm certain that there is a lifetime of learning when it comes to control at slow speeds. Thats where I struggle the most!
That’s a good approach. You’ll enjoy.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:08 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by VRSGS16
My first HD is my first Touring bike also. It is a 2016 SGS in Velocity Red. Love my bike!!!! (And it matches my other ride)
That’s a pretty Ride.

I got my first eGlide two years ago, an ‘09.... upgraded it the an M8 last May.

Here she is when I went out yesterday for a short ride .....

Old 03-12-2018, 09:28 PM
junior70
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2014 ultra limited is my first harley.....pros and cons like everything else. overall love the bike but my major complaint is suspension sucks

Old 03-22-2018, 01:17 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,227 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by BCene
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Thanks man! Will definitely do that....I downloaded a series titled, "Ride Like a Pro" and it focuses on finding the friction zone, slow turns, etc. for large bikes.
Excellent video. There was a quote in his "RLAP V" version, to the effect: "I had been riding for 20 years, but only had 1 year of experience, the rest of the time I was just repeating the same old mistakes."

I've done the cones. I also just go into empty parking lots and practice tight turns within the lines, e.g., try to do figure eights withing 6 spaces
arranged like this: H–H

Old 03-23-2018, 09:00 AM
BCene
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
Excellent video. There was a quote in his "RLAP V" version, to the effect: "I had been riding for 20 years, but only had 1 year of experience, the rest of the time I was just repeating the same old mistakes."

I've done the cones. I also just go into empty parking lots and practice tight turns within the lines, e.g., try to do figure eights withing 6 spaces
arranged like this: H–H
Great tips!! Gonna start doing this pronto!

Old 03-23-2018, 09:29 AM
LJLKRL05
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I just bought my first touring bike. A 2018 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I love it so far.
I had a 2005 Honda VTX 1300c for several years and sold it. I missed riding since I sold that bike and finally got another. The wife and I like to ride two up and she really likes the comfort of this one.
It is about 300 lbs heavier than the VTX and that is taking me a little getting used to but the ride is so smooth.

Quick Reply: Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?