Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hogtunes and SPX audio complete sound system upgrade!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:42 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hogtunes and SPX audio complete sound system upgrade!!

Greetings all, I finally finished the sound upgrade to my 2009 Ultra Classic EG.
I contacted PEZ from Hog tunes and ordered the following:
1. Hogtunes “Big Ultra” 4 channel (160W) amp.
2. HF-1Hog Pods
3. Faring lower / Amp Kit

From Harley Davidson I ordered the “boom” rear speaker kit, as my HK factory radio would be used to power the rear speakers only.

The install was pretty simple and straight forward with the exception of the 4 channel amp (I was a little afraid of pulling something loose), but that was due to my being extra, extra careful. Once I got the system up and running, it was much better than stock, but lacked that crisp high and midrange sound I like on the top end. A friend of mine that installs high end car audio suggested that I try “dynamat”, a product they use in cars to deaden and focus sounds. I applied the dynamat to the inside of the faring lowers as well as the backside of the main faring. The sound was noticeably improved, but it still lacked the punch I was after.
My friend (the car stereo installer) suggested that I try out a sub from a company called SPX audio. We had to run a power signal to the tour pack as the sub has a built in 350W amp. Because the amp is inside the sub, there is little draw on the bike’s alternator. This was pretty easy, as HD makes a power outlet 12V that goes in the tour pack that we tied into the accessory switch on the handle bar console, that way we could turn the sub on and off from the faring switch. Next we needed to get a signal to the sub itself. We tapped into the signal going to the rear speakers by drilling a small hole in the back of each of the speaker pods to run the wires. Next we ran a line level converter (which we located inside the right rear speaker pod), and ran the wires between the tour pack and tour pack liner (this way you never see the wires). On the back of the sub are two RCA, line level inputs which we plugged into the line level converter. I turned on the power and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!!
The highs were crisp and clean. The midrange was focused and powerful. The bass was deep and resonant, without being dull or muddy, packing a definite “punch” to the system.
I played this system for a few random bikers to get their reactions. I saw jaw dropping surprise on all of their faces.
Thought I might pass this on just in case someone was brainstorming a sound system improvement.
I have included model numbers where I could.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Dwayne

8" SPX Amplified Bass Tube

• Poly Coated Cone with Foam Edge
• 20 Oz Magnet
• 1.5" 4-Layers Voice Coil (AL)
• Max Output Power: 350 W
• Impedance: 4 OHM
• Freq. Resp.: 40 - 300 Hz
• SPL: 93 dB/W/M
View SS06080A Manual

The BIG ULTRA KITwas designed for 98-2010 Ultra Classics but will fit any 98-2010 FLH "Batwing" with factory or aftermarket radios (rear boxes are required)
Kit includes 2 ohms "Hybrid" front and rear speakers and all-New NCA (not car audio) 40.4 amplifier.
This all-New amplifier features MAXXBASS® a circuit that makes each speaker sound bigger than it really is!
The amp easily mounts on top of the radio inside the fairing and produces a total of 160 watts ( 40 watts RMS x 4)
Can be easily configured for future system expansion
The fan-cooled amplifier case features a "dish" cut into it, where the main speedometer/tachometer harness "rests"
Wire harness is 100% plug-and-play
Includes everything needed to complete the installation process.

HF-1 Hog Pod
  • Complete add-on tweeter kit
  • Doubles as a fairing accent piece with decorative chrome trim (included)
  • Pod comes “satin black” to match stock inner fairings
  • Disassembles easily to paint match custom painted fairings
  • Black “see through” grilles can also be painted, chromed
  • Works with all Hogtunes speaker systems, 98-09 stock systems or bikes with aftermarket car radios
  • Includes custom designed 50 watt (RMS) high efficiency metalized dome tweeters with 3rd order (18dB) passive crossovers
  • Radically improves clarity and performance to your audio system
  • All mounting hardware, drilling template and plugand- play wiring is included in box

Hogtunes Fairing Lower Speaker Kit With Amplifier (FLSK/AMP) is an awesome addition to any 1998-current bike with Ultra Classic Style fairing lowers and factory glove boxes. Unlike any or our competitors, Hogtunes spent lots of time making sure this part looks like it belongs on your bike! The kit includes 1 pair of Hogtunes 902.2-AA speakers, a Hogtunes amp, 100% plug and play wire harness, easy to install speaker adaptors for the glove boxes, and all required hardware.

The speakers are angled upwards so the “sweet spot” from these speakers is half way between the rider’s ears, and the passenger’s ears which really helps compensate for the rear speakers being blocked by the passenger when riding 2-up on Ultra Classics! The supplied amplifier is 100% plug and play, makes 32 watts per channel minimum to each speaker, and due to MaxxBass® really helps make your system sound “full”.

In this configuration, the radio will power any speakers you currently have, and the supplied amplifier is dedicated to the fairing lower speakers.

Boom! Audio™ High Performance Boom! Bagger Electra Glide® Fairing Speakers

Capture every note. Boom! Bagger High Performance Speakers are designed for maximum performance in the harsh motorcycle environment. Two-way speaker design with separate full-range element and grill-mounted tweeter provides improved high frequency response that helps cut through the road and wind noise. Increased speaker sensitivity provides 25% louder output than Original Equipment speakers at the same volume setting, resulting in reduced distortion for improved clarity at speed. 5-1/4", water-proof speakers mount in the Electra Glide® style fairing with no modifications. Complete kit includes two-way speaker design with separate custom grill-mounted tweeters, electronic crossovers, and plug and play wiring connections.

77181-10

Fits '06-later fairing mount speakers on Electra Glide® and Trike models equipped with Advanced Audio System.

MSRP CDN $199.95

Download Instruction Sheet

Pyramid Model #NS60
Adjustable Line Level Converter

* Supplies a standard line output from a speaker high level input, as from a rear
speaker connection on the receiver
* Converts high level output to RCA line level

Adjustable level control
* Full DC isolation

* Dual channel
* Full DC isolation

Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pictures? Hey Dwayne, I looked up that bass tube, and it looks pretty big, it fits in the tour pack? I would love to see some pictures! Sounds cool!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:10 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

It fits in the tour pack with no problem. It has a variable volume ****, so you can set the bass just where you like it based on the type of music you like. I like RUSH, Boz Scaggs, Steely Dan, Tower of Power, Bob Seager and of course Motown. and Easy in and easy out. I have PICs but not sure how to post them. I even wish I could share the sound.
Dwayne

Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

See my garage for PICs of "Isabell" and "Isabell my HD Queen" for the sound system upgrade, as well as other goodies.
Dwayne

Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 AM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

I finally got the PICs as requested of the bike.
I have included links to the audio products I described on my mods post.
Here are the product links:
350W Sub Woofer
http://www.sondpex.com/products/catalog/
Hogtunes Speakers and Amps
http://www.hogtunes.com/
Speaker to line level converter
http://www.buy.com/prod/pac-sni-15-line-output-converter-for-adding-amplifier/q/listingid/39348860/loc/111/208033798.html
Dynamat
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15410425/Dynamat-Xtreme-Wedge-Pack.html?tp=2277
Hope this helps out with being able to see the items on my install.
Dwayne

Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 AM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DWayne, I looked through your pictures and didnt see any of the sub... if you need my email address to send some to me let me know I would really appreciate it! Enjoy your tunes!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:55 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

Go to this website: http://www.sondpex.com/products/catalog/
Then click on Mobil Audio
Then click on Bass Systems
Then clock on Bass Tube
I took PICs of the bike yesterday, and thought I uploaded one with the sub on the bike. I guess I was wrong, or the PIC went to the black hole.
When I get home, I will try to send again.
What is your e-mail address?
I will send an e-mail with the sub as an attachment.
Thanks, Dwayne

Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

See my garage / album and you should see 12 PICs of Isabell, with the Sub and all of the other MODs.
Let me know what you think.
Dwayne