Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12V Accessory Plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:36 AM
rcdifalco
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12V Accessory Plug

I recentlt installed the HD 12v outlet in my 2009 Ultra Tourpack. Wired to accesory plug in front of the battery per the instructions. However, the plug is powered wheneever the ignition is on and is not effected by the Accesory Switch (as per the instreuctions the switch should control this power). Any idea why switch has no effect on the power?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:47 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please define what "Wired to accessory plug in front of the battery per the instructions" means. If you wire the accessory plug directly to the battery, the ignition switch will not turn it off.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM
rcdifalco
Intermediate

There is a accessory outlet located in front of the battery for wiring accessories. Per HD this outlet is wired to the accesory switch. Refer to your owners manual.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you ever had the fairing cap off? Maybe the connector is disconnected from the switch? Bad switch?
I'm pretty sure the wiring is hardwired into the harness with a fuse in the fuse block.
If it works at all the fuse is good, which leaves one of the two mentioned above.

Last edited by Scorpion07; 05-27-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

There are four wires in the accessory connector under the seat: ground, run (hot when the ignition is "on" or "accessory,") brake, and switched power. Sounds like your 12V plug is connected to the "run" and ground instead of the switched power wire.

I haven't installed the 12V accessory, but you probably needed to assemble a couple of wires in the Deutsch connector using numbered cavities/chambers in the Deutsch connector. The numbers are molded into the connector, go clockwise around the connector, and are difficult to see due to their small size. More than likely you have a wire from the 12V accessory in the wrong cavity/chamber. The switched power is either the orange or the orange/red wire. I'll take a look at my Motolights' wiring that uses the switched power circuit to turn them on/off later today and post the information.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:05 AM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wiring harness in your tour pack should already be set up for a power point,not run off of the aux/acc connector in the batt. box.I stuck a Biketronics power point in the tour pack of my '08 EG should be plug and play and comes on with the ign. not the acc. sw.
The deutche plug in front of he batt.,careful not to confuse it with your data plug should work off of the switch,if not there's a problem with wiring or switch.My '08 and new FLHTK are wired the same,only a whole lot more room in the batt. box with the Limited.I made a wiring harness for a power point,sirius,and Zumo 550 all off the plug under the seat.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

I don't know if the standard Ultra (vs SE) has 2 accessory plugs under the seat. If so, one is used to plug in the heated seat and is not connected to the accessory switch. It is powered whenever the ignition is on and for use with heated seats.

There is a 2nd plug under the seat that is wired through the Accessory switch on the dash.

Is it possible you've used the heated seat plug for your 12v outlet?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 PM
bennenrkc
Tourer

I have the same problem, it is the only plug I can find underneath the seat.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:39 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bennenrkc
It's a hard little bugger to see.If you look up through the holes in the frame under the seat you should be able to see it.It's a gray colored connector with a plug in it pointing down(at least it was with my Limited)I had to get my fingers through the holes in the frame to plug my pigtail into it,there's not much slack.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by bennenrkc
I think you'll find the heated seat plug is the easy one to find and the accessory plug is abit harder to see. The accessory plug that's wired to the accessory switch is in the same area but generally buried abit deeper in front of the battery.

Quick Reply: 12V Accessory Plug