Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with landing gear on Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Any experience with landing gear on Ultra

Me and wife both ride Ultras as we are aging my wife loves to ride but some times doesn't feel confident in slow and slopes on some curved city streets in stop n go traffic. We've seen adds in numerous magazines but never met any one who has the Landing Gear on there bike to ask pros n cons , So I wonder if any one on forum seen the system on any bike and got some hands on experience with it.She won't go back to anything less then Ultra and trike is out of the question. Appreciate any help and input.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity, what exactly is "Landing Gear"?? I'm picturing something like training wheels.

No offense, but I guess my opinion is that if there is a concern about keeping the bike upright, it might be a good idea to re-think riding the bike.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:16 PM
SMSgt B
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-30-2010, 06:21 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Slow speed maneuvers sounds like more of a balance issue. I'd suggest practice and lowering the bike or seat may make a difference.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Clint55
Out of curiosity, what exactly is "Landing Gear"?? I'm picturing something like training wheels.

No offense, but I guess my opinion is that if there is a concern about keeping the bike upright, it might be a good idea to re-think riding the bike.

Not everyone is macho or full of em selves some people refuse to give what they enjoy like going to grand canyon on wheel chair. No one should give up there dreams or enjoyments due to others opinions!

Old 05-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by piasspj
Slow speed maneuvers sounds like more of a balance issue. I'd suggest practice and lowering the bike or seat may make a difference.
It's lowered both ends but with age we get little weaker and Landing Gear is a little help to keep bike upright in iffy situations according to the manufacturer web site.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:37 PM
david christopher
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks pretty cool but a lot of money

Old 05-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Now that looks pretty cool. I remember seeing a similar system mounted on a Goldwing many years ago but it didn't have the articulation capabilities this system has. The end result was, it was totally lousy on an off camber road as it wanted to keep the bike 90 degrees to the road and not truly upright to the world. It was also possible to wind up with the outrigger wheels holding the bike up with the rear wheel off the ground. That being he case, you weren't going anywhere without help.

I don't know if the first issue is still one with this system. Will the system still help the rider hold the bike upright even on an off camber road? It does seem that the second issue won't be one with this system.

At least it looks "way" better than the old system I'm talking about. That one had over sized training wheels that rode outside the saddle bags. To say that it looked like sh*t would be a gross understatement!

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
Not everyone is macho or full of em selves some people refuse to give what they enjoy like going to grand canyon on wheel chair. No one should give up there dreams or enjoyments due to others opinions!
I would never suggest that anyone should give up their dreams and I had no idea what the "Landing System" was until I took a look at the video. My personal opinion is that these "automatic retractable training wheels" are not a good idea and no one should give up their personal opinions due to others opinions.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:26 PM
troy.j
Road Captain

I wouldnt want to trust my life, my wife and my bike to that system. but in the same breath, if it keeps you in the wind...

Quick Reply: Any experience with landing gear on Ultra