Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dobeck TFI fuel management system

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:26 PM
ballbreaker69
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Dobeck TFI fuel management system

I am fairly new to the forum and live in Canada. I drive a stock 2010 FLHR and have purchased some V&H ovals and a K&N high flow system. Before I install them I have been reading and listening on the forum and many say to finish the Stage 1 upgrade you should get the HD download or a tuner. One of the guys at the dealership said the generic Stage I flash or download was a waste of money at $300.00 as they sometimes do not work. He suggested that I add another $300.00 dollars and get a tuner and I would be much happier. I have been reading with great interest about the Thundermax, TTS and Sert systems as well as the comments from the riders on this forum. It seems many different pros and cons as well as costs associated with it. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Dobeck TFI system and how it works. If this will do the trick without tuners or piggyback units it might be the way to go. I do not intend to do any other mods except the mufflers and air flow. I do not know anyone up here that has tried one so any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ballbreaker69
...I was wondering if anyone has tried the Dobeck TFI system and how it works...
I used one on my stock '08 UC with some success.

It was easy to install once I got the gas tank jacked up a bit to access the injector connectors.

Tuning (so to speak) is via "pots" located under the rubber gasket and is explained fairly well in the included instructions.

While I did see some slight improvement in throttle response and overall running, the increase in fuel consumption was noticeable.

With all that said, I have since removed the TFI and installed the TTS with far greater positive results.

I've done nothing more then change out the air cleaner and I don't plan to do anything else for the foreseeable future. But the ability to adjust AFR (Lambda on yours), timing, and a few other things, IMHO, makes the added cost of the something like the TTS well worth the dollars for a more precise and efficient running motor.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-30-2010, 07:56 PM
ballbreaker69
Tourer

I thought that it seemed too simple to achieve what I was lookin for. I too am not going to be doing any more mods but just ride and enjoy. I was looking to make the engine run cooler without losing to much gas mileage while enjoying some louder mufflers and more air. I am not sold on the download as many of my friends have had it and not been satisfied. Like the old saying you you only get what you pay for. Thanks

Old 05-31-2010, 06:50 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

...I was looking to make the engine run cooler without losing to much gas mileage while enjoying some louder mufflers and more air...
The Dobeck will achieve some cooling as it's dumping in more fuel...but some timing changes will help even more. Unfortunately, the TFI does not do that. I saw about a 20% drop in mileage.

I still have my TFI and if it was the same model as the one you need, I'd send it to you to try.

...I am not sold on the download as many of my friends have had it and not been satisfied. Like the old saying you you only get what you pay for. Thanks
You're correct..some of the simple downloads do little except reduction weight to the wallet. And some of the other add-on modules have their issues including finding enough room for them to fit and needing to request maps through a web site.

There's lots to read in the EFI sections about the different fuel controllers...some good info and some bad.

Again, IMHO, just adding a good fuel management system to even a completely stock setup is worth it. Most are amazed at how much better their machine runs once VE's, fuel, spark, and timing are set to more optimal levels.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:40 AM
ballbreaker69
Tourer

Thanks for the offer of the TFI to try. The TFI numbers are different for the 2010 throttle by wire. They were still working on it in early March when I first inquired about it. I will take your advice and check out the EFI section on the Forum so that I can make a more informed decision. Thanks for the input

Old 05-31-2010, 07:49 AM
rags
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

My TFI works great for my setup. I get right at 40 MPG at 70 MPH and the bike runs great. If you want to spend hundreds of dollars more and are trying to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of your bike you will need a different system and a dyno. JMHO

Old 05-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I went w/the Dobeck TFI b/c it tunes like a carb bike. Yes, it's probably not the best tuner if you're going for the "racer's edge" of performance, but you can play with the settings and easily adjust for any engine mod. My FLHX runs alot cooler, smoother & I've saved alot of $$$ on re-maps. Also, the military discount doesn't hurt either (got mine for $150 + shipping).

If you're looking for an economical means to tune your ride - Dobeck works fine. If you want to beat all your buds in a 1/4 mile scramble - go for the TTS (or similar).

Old 05-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

My experience with the Dobeck TFI has been very positive over the last two years. I researched all the different brands before deciding on the 1252ST for 2009 touring bikes. The primary difference in the TFI and most others is that the TFI does not have the capability to subtract fuel from the equation. It adds fuel. In short, my thinking was that if I was going to be flat tracking my bagger around an oval track or down the 1/4 mile on Saturday night, then it might be advantageous to have the ability to subtract fuel from the equation. But I am not a professional who races his bagger in continued competition, nor are any of my riding buddies. In fact I don't know anybody who races their bagger. What I was looking for was a good piece of technology that would give me increased performance while at the same time, cool off my engine. I did not want to have to tune the device with a laptop computer, nor did I want to put my bike on a dynometer for a couple of hours and run the **** out of it just to wring out the last 2 horsepower from a wide open throttle situation. With the TFI you bring a warm engine up to 2000 rpm and turn a small screw under the green light with a screwdriver till the engine smooths out. Then you use the screwdriver to set the other 3 screws to the factory recommended settings. It is quick, foolproof and you can feel the difference the first time you ride. There is absolutely nothing wrong if anybody wants to use one of the devices that subtracts fuel, but for me I felt it was just gross overkill since I no longer race anything. I was looking for reliability, a cooler engine and increased performance in a day to day environment. The kicker was that the lady I talked to at Dobeck in Montana asked me if I had any military service in my background. I replied to the affirmative and she said they were big supporters of the military and would ship me my device for $150.00 plus whatever the post office got for postage. I pulled the trigger 25,000 miles ago and have not been sorry.
Just to be clear, anytime you add any fuel management device from any manufacturer and run your bike on a state or federal roadway, you are technically breaking the law. These devices are intended for racetrack use only...even though we all use them in day to day use. So if your state suddenly starts to put a sniffer up your exhaust pipe in order to give you an inspection sticker, it ain't gonna pass EPA perameters and you will be in for a hastle. Like it or not, the EPA now has one hand around our necks and one foot on our ********. Just so you know.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 AM
opr917
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Dobeck TFI system and how it works.
I really liked the TFI, very simple to install and dial in and it worked great. only mods were air and pipes.
Then I installed cams and switched to PCiii USB

Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

had one on a 07 with just pipes and filter. worked great. very easy to tune

Quick Reply: Dobeck TFI fuel management system