Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic VS Goldwing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Harry Manback
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Classic VS Goldwing

So I am blasting down the road in a torential downpour at about 65MPH today...

The wife and I are comfy and secure, not too wet as we scream past a GW. Even my wife noticed how uncomfortable they looked. Well they caught up with us at a coffee shop (we had finished our meal by the time they showed up). The guy explained how he has ridden all his life, and never thought his GW would handle that badly. He asked me a bunch of questions, and sure enough he bellieves his GW handles better, not because he has compared them, but from what he has "heard".

They just thought we were crazy HD zealots who drank the cool-aid, until we talked. I let him know that the bike was staedy as a rock, and traveled down the road nice and tight.

They never caught up to us again

Old 08-20-2006, 11:10 PM
lusodom
6th Gear

Do yourself a big favor, take a ride on a BMW K1200lt. when you return you will be more than happy to write out a check. I've been a Harley rider for more than 30-yrs. I only buy new,and I would say that more than not, there was always a problem with one thing or another. But what makes matters worse either the Dealer or the Moco will try and find a way-around warranty work. My last bike was a 2006 FLHXI (street glide), all others where Road Kings (4), Ultra's (2), Sportsters (3). After the problems with the Brakes ,Radios, Speakers, Air temp Gauge, various Engine problems, Vibrations, Cam Bearings, Fuel Gauges, Cruise Control, bad ECMs Transmissions, I called it quits with Harley Davidson. I Decided to look at other makes, so I did a lot of R&R three Months worth. did alot of demo rides on just about every touring bike out there. It came down to the Gold Wing and the BMW K1200lt, taking each on Hwy. and twisty's both bikes blow the harley's away in all catagories. I'm a long distance Rider I've ridden in almost every State all on harley's, I can't say that I didn't enjoy riding harley's but now I know I could have enyoyed It a lot more. BMW's not nerly as many Dealers to steel your money but (THEY DON'T BREAK DOWN) whatever you decide GOOD LUCK be safe.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Ever notice how the Honda crowd always has to be saying something disparaging about Harley and Harley riders? And how they are always trying to talk someone into buying a Honda instead of a Harley? I don't recall having ever met any rider who had to be talked into buying a Harley. The main reason I finally bought one is because of the history behind the brand. The style is original and unmatchable. A new Electra Glide looks pretty much like an old one. And the sound of a Harley is unmistakable. I've owned plenty of Japaneese bikes in my time and have never had anything bad to say about any of them. I have always admired the Gold Wing but have just never felt attracted to it. When I look at a motorcycle I want to see the engine. The engine is one of the most attractive features of any bike. Styling that is a cross between a snowmobile and a bullet train just puts me off. A couple weeks ago a guy on an older Honda (I don't know which model it was since they all look alike) wisecracked to me: "When you gonna scrap that POS and move up to a Honda!?" I just simply told him: "I did last summer, best damn lawnmower I ever had!"

Old 08-20-2006, 11:41 PM
skater69
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Harry Manback

So I am blasting down the road in a torential downpour at about 65MPH today...

The wife and I are comfy and secure, not too wet as we scream past a GW. Even my wife noticed how uncomfortable they looked. Well they caught up with us at a coffee shop (we had finished our meal by the time they showed up). The guy explained how he has ridden all his life, and never thought his GW would handle that badly. He asked me a bunch of questions, and sure enough he bellieves his GW handles better, not because he has compared them, but from what he has "heard".

They just thought we were crazy HD zealots who drank the cool-aid, until we talked. I let him know that the bike was staedy as a rock, and traveled down the road nice and tight.

They never caught up to us again
Sounds like the rider not the bike. I've ridden my Wing thru all kinds of rain.......after awhile you feel like going 80 just as you do in dry weather. The bike was impeccable in the wet. And as far as general handling goes.....it's not even a comparison really. The Wing handles like a big sportbike......the HD's are no match. I found the Wing to be the most comfortable bike ever. But if you're over 6ft 1, I think you'll be too cramped....at 5'10".....it was perfect. The Wing feels more like a big comfortable sporty scooter.......and less like a motorcycle. It's very bland in a lot of ways compared to the HD. I'm still considering going back to one b/c the damn thing just fits me like a glove and requires no upgrades except for slip-ons and a short shield. I've really been eyeing the RG and EG standard. Neither fits me perfectly (RG bars too long) (EG my foot keeps wanting to hang off the edge of the boards) but I'll probably go HD for my next bike since I've never owned one but have rented a few. As far as sound goes.....nothing touches Harley....they definitley have a soul. And if I go Harley and the bike starts giving me problems, I'll go back to Jap bikes. I've had 4 and all of have been bulletproof in the 70K mi I"ve put on them....change the oil and that's it.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Harry Manback
Cruiser

After a few posts in here, it always comes back to the idea that a bike that handles like a "sport bike" is better...

Why is that? I have ridden all my life, and when I was young I loved the idea of going fast, scrapin' my knees and my pegs, and I thought I enjoyed it. I came to realise that I was missing half or more of what motorcycle touring is about; the scenerey.

If you are layin' into turns and haulin' a$$ down the road it can be fun, but you are almost always lookin down or just in front of you. Yes, layin' into a twisty at 80 or 90 will be technically better on a wing or beemer. Having your sweety on the back with another thirty pounds of gear strapped in, leaning into the same turns at 65 and seeing the deer on the side of the road, or having your wife point something out and having the time to see it is way more fun. This last weekend, an eagle flew over us, because our heads were up we actually saw it.

Sport bike is good, not necessarily better.

One other thing; my Harley's are bullet-proof, I have not had one problem that I would categorise as big or chronic. I have had issues with all my bikes including Hondas, Kawasakis, and yes I road a BMW for awhile. If I had to compare them, I would say if anything the number of issues and nature of problems were equal amongst all makes. Honda takes the cake on refusing to claim anything as warranty, they would not fix anything. The BMW was probably the best as far as warranty goes, but HD has been a close second. I have not had any real problems with my dealer as far as service is concerned. One thing for sure, the techs at my local HD dealer are also riders, can't say the same for the guys who worked on my metrics.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:44 AM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

Maybe that Winger was just being cautious. I constantly have to remind myself to keep the speed down on my wing, even in heavy rain, it handles like a sportbike with just a bit less lean angle. We should all be cautious in heavy rain or inclement weather. One slip (by anyone) is all it takes to hurt ourselves, and I cringe whenever I see a biker go down, especially if there are 2 on a bike. Be careful out there.

Mac57, the Honda crowd you refer too should get more class and not be so self-serving, as we are all bikers. Fortunately, the crowd I run with all have Harleys, Hondas, Beemers and some crotch rockets thrown in. We all have fun, and enjoy each other, as well as all the bikes around us.

One of the guys with us just bought a K 1200 GT and that's one mean bike. 152 HP and swift thru the twisties. Verrrrry Nice !

There is no Ultra Classic vs Goldwing argument.

They're both great bikes for great reasons.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:08 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Only had one Goldwing, a 1984 1200cc Aspencade. I rode it for ten years including some road trips. During those ten years, I replaced the stator about every 40,000 miles. Other than that, I just rode it. Each stator cost about $600 to replace so I spent about $1800 in non maintenance related costs. Tires were every bit as expensive as Harley tires, as were brakes. Gas mileage about the same too. Did I love that bike? Nope. But it gave great service. Comfort was okay. It didn't inspire me to add much to it or make any modifications. It wasn't a fun bike, just a good one.

Seven years after crashing the Goldwing, I bought the '02 Ultra I now have. It has been pretty much trouble free UNTIL now. I just replaced the damnable cam chain shoes while on a road trip, and last year the cruise control, again on a road trip. Is the bike fun to ride? You betcha. Is it comfortable? Oh yes it is. Do I love it? Well no, but close. The real question is can you afford one. If so, enjoy. If not, don't get into one. If you don't get one, you will be sorry.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Moral of the story is, My experiance with the GW is that the sales stratigy is to tell their potential customers how much Harley will leave them disappoitned and they will find eternal happiness on a new GW. Funny thing is there was not one HD trade in on his lot, go figure. Additionally that feeling was just missing like one of the members said.
I was in a Honda shop last year pricing tires, and on the floor sits a 2004 Screaming Eagle Ultra. I asked the salesman what it was doing in a Honda shop. He told me someone traded it in for a goldwing. My jaw dropped, and I responded with; I can't believe someone would trade down like that. He didn't appreciate the comment. oops!

Old 08-21-2006, 02:42 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to give it to you on the stubborn streak. You have rode for 30 years, only bought new and have had 10 Harleys. That is one trade every 3 years. With all of those problems, why did you keep loyal to the brand for so long and what kept you from comparing the other brands earlier?
How long have you had the beemer, and how many miles have you put on it? What did it cost? I am curious for comparison purposes.

ORIGINAL: lusodom

Do yourself a big favor, take a ride on a BMW K1200lt. when you return you will be more than happy to write out a check. I've been a Harley rider for more than 30-yrs. I only buy new,and I would say that more than not, there was always a problem with one thing or another. But what makes matters worse either the Dealer or the Moco will try and find a way-around warranty work. My last bike was a 2006 FLHXI (street glide), all others where Road Kings (4), Ultra's (2), Sportsters (3). After the problems with the Brakes ,Radios, Speakers, Air temp Gauge, various Engine problems, Vibrations, Cam Bearings, Fuel Gauges, Cruise Control, bad ECMs Transmissions, I called it quits with Harley Davidson. I Decided to look at other makes, so I did a lot of R&R three Months worth. did alot of demo rides on just about every touring bike out there. It came down to the Gold Wing and the BMW K1200lt, taking each on Hwy. and twisty's both bikes blow the harley's away in all catagories. I'm a long distance Rider I've ridden in almost every State all on harley's, I can't say that I didn't enjoy riding harley's but now I know I could have enyoyed It a lot more. BMW's not nerly as many Dealers to steel your money but (THEY DON'T BREAK DOWN) whatever you decide GOOD LUCK be safe.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:09 PM
RoadKyng
6th Gear

A riding buddy said it better than I have ever heard.

"A motorcycle is an emotional purchase. You can't rationalize it. It either feels right or it doesn't."

I started on Yamaha when a kid, had Honda's in college. Now HD in middle age. And no, I wouldn't go back.

About the only other mfg that interests me is BMW. THe K1200's are pretty impressive

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic VS Goldwing