Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

primary chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question primary chain tensioner

I have about 51,000 on my 08 eGlide. I have changed engine oil every 2500 miles and tranny + primary fluid every 5000 miles religiously.

With the number of miles I am starting to think I should look at the primary chain tensioner. Since they took away the inspection cover on the primary cover (not derby) I will have to pull the cover to inspect it... which looks like kind of a big deal to me.

So, other than pulling the cover and looking at the tensioner, is there any way to tell it needs to be replaced by the way the bike shifts or runs? All seems fine, but I'd rather to some maintenance up front rather than repair damage later.

And how big a deal is this project?

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Not too big a deal. It's a fairly easy job. However, you should be able to shine a flashlight through the derby cover and be able to see the tensioner somewhat.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

If you pull the primary cover, you would need to remove the front footboard and the rear footboard. Then just remove the primary cover bolts.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tinker1
I have about 51,000 on my 08 eGlide. I have changed engine oil every 2500 miles and tranny + primary fluid every 5000 miles religiously.

With the number of miles I am starting to think I should look at the primary chain tensioner. Since they took away the inspection cover on the primary cover (not derby) I will have to pull the cover to inspect it... which looks like kind of a big deal to me.

So, other than pulling the cover and looking at the tensioner, is there any way to tell it needs to be replaced by the way the bike shifts or runs? All seems fine, but I'd rather to some maintenance up front rather than repair damage later.

And how big a deal is this project?

Thanks.
I did the same thing on my 07 Road Glide last year.

You should have a shop manual before you tear into anything!!

What will you do if you open it up and find the tensioner shoe is worn down? That's right, you'll want to change it. To do that, you will need the manual because you can't guess about the process or torque values.

On my 07, I was going after the inner primary bearing because I knew there was a problem from the noise my primary was making. Ended up pulling the inner prmary which is a fairly big job but very doable with a manual.

If you don't have a shop manual, you can get one at an Ebay store for around $50.

Good luck on you job.

Steve

Old 10-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup easy job, should just cost you the primary oil if you're just checking. You can re-use the Primary Gasket.
FWIW I just had mine apart at 45K and it is starting to wear. Minmimally, but it did have approximately 1/16" to 3/32" chain grooves worn into it. Plenty of wear left - I just wonder if it'll wear faster now that it's worn in? I'm wondering about my Cam Chain Tensioners now too?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:58 PM
tinker1
Road Captain

Already have the shop manual... it was the first thing I bought for the bike.

This will probably be a winter project... Being October, we'll probably get our first blizzard in the next couple of weeks, so I'll probably do it then.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 PM
tinker1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
Yup easy job, should just cost you the primary oil if you're just checking. You can re-use the Primary Gasket.
FWIW I just had mine apart at 45K and it is starting to wear. Minmimally, but it did have approximately 1/16" to 3/32" chain grooves worn into it. Plenty of wear left - I just wonder if it'll wear faster now that it's worn in? I'm wondering about my Cam Chain Tensioners now too?
I hear you. If one's worn, wouldn't the other be worn too?

Thing is, from what I hear getting the cam cover off is a bugger. A lot of smacking with a rubber hammer is involved.. which kind of bothers me.. because I think smacking with a hammer ought to be done by some one more qualified than myself.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tinker1
.......A lot of smacking with a rubber hammer is involved.. which kind of bothers me.. because I think smacking with a hammer ought to be done by some one more qualified than myself.
Give me a call..............I'm good at beatin' **** with a rubber mallet

Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dawg IS a pro!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Give me a call..............I'm good at beatin' **** with a rubber mallet
Isn't there a video floating around of you beating the $hit out of a cam cover????

Link anyone???

Quick Reply: primary chain tensioner