Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Self-Diagnostics for Harman Kardon radios (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/526447-self-diagnostics-for-harman-kardon-radios.html)

Harleypingman 06-11-2010 10:01 PM

Self-Diagnostics for Harman Kardon radios

Note: If you are looking at this thread because you are experiencing problems with your HK radio, the information below may help. However, because the special diagnostic tools often required to identify the specific cause of the problem are generally not available except at dealerships, and because of the very limited ability of a dealer's service department to actually repair the radio, you may give strong consideration to contacting Iron Cross Audio for diagnostic and repair services. The various problems with the HK that they have been able to fix and their contact information is in this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...dio-in-nj.html.

Harman Kardon “Radio Diagnostics”
The primary purpose of this thread is to share information on the self-diagnostic tools available from the Harman Kardon (HK) radio in your ’06 or newer fairing model bike. It will describe how to operate the radio to display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s), list the DTC’s, and list the “Symptoms” (e.g. AVC not working) for which there is no trouble code. The information is from HD’s 2010 Electrical Diagnostic Manual (EDM) and is far from being a substitute for the EDM. The EDM takes 55 or so pages to describe “Radio Diagnostics” and includes testing tools and protocols specific to HK. Also, there are differences between model years for the EDM dealing with the HK and I haven’t undertaken a year-by-year comparison to identify them. This thread isn’t intended to describe the “cure” for HK issues that may show-up as DTC’s or Symptoms.” For that you'll need the EDM.

The procedure for entering the diagnostic mode of your HK radio is the same for all years, however, as are many of the DTC’s (I did a quick comparison of a few years) and symptoms.

How to access the radio’s diagnostic display:

1. Press the eject button and remove any CD.
2. Press and hold any two softkeys (numbered buttons 1-6) then turn the ignition switch to ON.
3. Once the H-D logo is displayed, the radio’s software does a complete switch check, scans for current DTC’s, and then displays the radio diagnostic display.
4. Release the sofkeys ONLY after the radio diagnostic display appears.
5. If there are shorted switches, the display will show a DTC and brief description of the source/cause of the problem.
6. If there are no shorted switches (or other DTC’s) the radio display will read “Diag Test” and allow several functions, e.g. checking the switches, checking the software version, etc.
· If a switch is functioning properly, the display shows the switch name and “OK.”
· Verify that the switch you are checking is the switch identified in the display. Because of the switch wiring, the display may show “OK” but the switch identified in the display may not be the one you are testing, so you need to verify.

DTC’s DESCRIPTION

B0563 Battery voltage high
B2006 Radio switch stuck or open
B2007 Handlebar switch shorted high
B2008 Handlebar switch shorted low
B2009 Handlebar switch stuck or open
B2010 Passenger switch shorted high
B2011 Passenger switch shorted low
B2012 Passenger switch stuck or open
B2016 Front speakers shorted
B2017 Front speakers open (but see Note at bottom of thread if you've installed an amplifier.)
B2018 Front speakers shorted to ground
B2019 Front speakers shorted to battery
B2020 Rear speakers shorted
B2021 Rear Speakers open
B2022 Rear speakers shorted
B2023 Rear speakers shorted to battery

U1016 J1850 lost communications (comm.) with ECM
U1300 J1850 bus shorted low
U1301 J1850 bus shorted high
U1302 Infotainment bus off error
U1304 Infotainment bus lost comm. with future
U1305 Same as U1304
U1306 Infotainment lost comm.with hands-free phone module
U1307 Infotainment lost comm. with CB
U1308-U1312 Infotainment bus lost comm. with future
U1313 Infotainment bus lost comm. with navigation
U1314 Infotainment bus lost comm. with navigation
U1315-1316 Infotainment bus lost comm. with future
U1317 Infotainment bus lost comm. with high output amplifier

SYMPTOM DESCRIPTION

1 Radio Inoperative
2 Poor or No Reception
3 Static Present with Engine Running
4 CB Transmitter inoperative and SWR Adjustment
5 CB Receiver Inoperative
6 Intercom Inoperative
7 Handheld Microphone/PTT Inoperative
8 Speaker Switch Malfunction
9 Headset Speakers Inoperative
10 No or Low Audio From Microphone
11 No or Low Audio with High Output Amplifier
12 No or Low Audio From XM or XM Inoperative
13 XM – No or intermittent Reception
14 Navigation Inoperative
15 AVC Inoperative
16 Handlebar, passenger or sidecar switches inoperative
17 CD skipping
18 Hands-free Phone Module Inoperative
No or low audio to hands-free phone module

For the various DTC’s there are specific test protocols in the EDM; the same goes for the “Symptoms.” Consult the EDM for your model year for more detailed information. My local dealer’s service department has always been willing to allow me to consult their “library” of Service Manuals, EDM’s, and parts books which has been great since I have an ’04 police model EG, ’06 SG rear fender fascia/LED, ’08 brakes, ’09 Harmon Kardon, etc.—I call my bike “the Mutt.”

As an example of changes in the EDM from model year to model year, Symptom 4 in the 2006 and 2007 EDM's was "CD won't eject." The 2006 EDM simply says to replace the radio if this symptom appears. The 2007 EDM says to pull the maxi fuse, wait five minutes, then try the radio. If it still doesn't operate, replace the radio. The 2010 EDM doesn't include "CD won't eject" as a symptom. So, symptoms do change from year to year though many remain the same.

As an example of the procedure for testing/correcting a symptom, symptom 15 is "AVC inoperative." The EDM's appear to be the same for this symptom, at least the several I checked, and say: With the radio on an FM station, press soft key 1, 2, and OK simultaneously. Then press the down arrow to display the speed type (J1850). If the display doesn't show J1850, press soft key 4 until the J1850 appears. Then press soft key 6 to store this setting. If the display initially showed J1850, you are referred to a further test. This example is not complete, but it gives you an idea of how the test/solution protocols work.

The EDM is copyrighted by HD. HDF is very strict about policing posts/threads that refer to vendors offering pdf versions of this and other HD copyrighted manuals. Please don't post information referring to such vendors in this thread.

Last point--I'm not a tech and don't pretend to be. I've simply reproduced here some of the information available to anyone with an EDM or access to one. A cold twelve pack of beer dropped off at closing time on Friday, or a couple of dozen doughnuts on a Saturday morning go a long way towards building good will at the dealership.

Note: According to PEZ at Hogtunes, if you have installed an amp, you may get a B2017 DTC because the speaker wires go to the amp, so the HK head unit doesn't show a load on the circuit causing the head unit software to throw the code. You can read about it on HT's website: http://www.hogtunes.com/techzone_fil...pen%20code.pdf I was happy to read this tech note on HT's website since I have the code but my radio/amp are playing fine.

Carl

SICKBAGGER 06-11-2010 11:00 PM

Harleypingman,
Great write up! I need to get that manual only one I don't have. Wonder if anyone knows where and electronic copy is.....hhmmmm? pm me if you do

Any way thanks I will keep this thread!

T-BO 399 06-11-2010 11:21 PM

deleted

speckfisher 06-14-2010 05:12 PM

Thanks, great post and info.

ohiohusky 06-15-2010 11:36 AM

My HK diagnostic says B2018 fl speaker open. No sound from any speakers. Please advise, as I am new to this and have no idea of what to do. Thanks in advance. 2006 Ultra Classic.

faapilot 06-15-2010 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ohiohusky (Post 6864950)
My HK diagnostic says B2018 fl speaker open. No sound from any speakers. Please advise, as I am new to this and have no idea of what to do. Thanks in advance. 2006 Ultra Classic.

Check code legend above....speaker shorted to ground...
Did you check that already? Good place to start I'd say.

Hairy1 06-15-2010 04:42 PM

Sounds like the speaker took a dump, replace it

ohiohusky 06-15-2010 05:17 PM

Speakers not working

Thanks, you were right. Quoted wrong code, was B2017. Have an appt with dealership next week, will post results. Thx again.

V2Evo96 06-15-2010 09:57 PM

Thanks Pingman-- Don't need it now but kept for the future when I do. Note "when" not "if"...

Correia 06-16-2010 02:39 PM

Very, very useful information.Thank you.
Greetings from Rio de Janeiro

Joao Manuel

Sheazo 06-20-2010 02:18 PM

that is good info posted , but my radio the aux code disappeared from my radio and it did not sound like there is a code for that, any suggestions how to get it back
I used the mp3 all the time until this problem arose. I have and 08 street glide
Thanx

Sheazo 06-20-2010 07:12 PM

Thanx again I went home and went in and got the code , screwed around with some of the options and was able to get the aux back on to my radio
awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mp3 players are the best for riding , plug it in put on shuffle and ride

Johan96 06-21-2010 03:26 PM

Carl, this is fantastic! What does the code B2017 Front speakers open, mean? THX :-)

dave9175 06-21-2010 08:32 PM

The AUX on my harman kardon radio has vanished. Can anyone help me out on how to get this back. I can no longer listen to my ipod without it. Thanks

Harleypingman 06-21-2010 09:44 PM

If you have an out-of-warranty problem, or want expert advice on a warranty-covered HK radio, get in touch with Iron Cross Audio: http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/ They're former techs at Harman Kardon who set up their repair business when HK out-sourced the service work on automotive and HD HK radios.

As for specific answers to particular codes or issues, I'm not a tech. Many of the diagnostic procedures use special tools and/or electronic equipment. For example, the question about B2017 requires use of a "break-out box" to connect to the bike to diagnose whether the problem is the radio, the wiring, or a speaker.

Carl

Johan96 06-22-2010 02:07 PM

Hi! The dealer will install a new HK unit on thursday. I am a happy dude, looking forward to get some tunes back :-)

ohiohusky 06-23-2010 11:50 AM

Took to dealership, they said needs sent back to HK for repairs on speaker issue. Cost of about $400.00. I retrieved the bike and brought it home. Am letting this rabbit sit until a different offer comes around. It does work through headsets, so I'll just get by for now.

NYRobG 06-24-2010 05:33 AM

The dreaded B2017 code has come up several times in various threads here. It's happened to me twice since 2006. Basically both times it was a problem internal to the radio. The first time it was still under warranty and the dealership took it out, sent it back and three weeks later it was fixed.

The second time it happened (late last season) the bike was out of warranty. Dealership said they'd do the labor to remove/reinstall for free, but that since they had to send it out the repair to the radio would cost more than $700, and it would be out for longer than 3 weeks.

Iron Cross Audio completely repaired the radio, added an aux pigtail to the rear (for a small aditional charge...for my GPS input) and had it on my front door step in 4 days, for about $300. I did have to do the remove/reinstall, which required the purchase of a set of extra-long allen wrenches.

Johan96 06-24-2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Johan96 (Post 6899305)
Hi! The dealer will install a new HK unit on thursday. I am a happy dude, looking forward to get some tunes back :-)

Got a brand new player today! I guess i have gotten addicted to tunes while riding :-)

Shotgun1053 06-25-2010 10:24 PM

06 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Radio appears to be working, but the speakers keep shutting down. The dealer replaced the stereo as part of a recall. Soon after, I would get "dead air" and thought it was the station. It got progressively worse and now there is no sound. The tests indicated no fault to the handlebar switches, but on occasion, the speakers would work after moving the intercom/speaker switch. Suggestions for addtional troubleshooting are appreciated.

Thanks!

Rigid113 06-29-2010 09:47 AM

My 07 road glide has a problem with the volume. It was shooting up to full blast at random times now it does it less but I can't turn the volume up just down. I have the following codes...

B2009 Handlebar switch stuck or open

What would your next step be? I just got this bike it does have chrome switched installed.

Rigid113 06-29-2010 07:34 PM

I think I figured it out. After visiting the local dealership the service dept told me I needed a new audio switch. They didn't have one in stock so I came home. I started to take the controls apart and found that the wires were pinched against the bars. I realigned the wires with the dimple and all appears to be good now. I just bought this bike last week sol I was unsure what had been done to it in the past.

scooterman01 07-01-2010 04:41 PM

2006 Street Glide radio turns off and back on again by its self

rgm 07-06-2010 12:55 PM

What exactly does this error code mean:

Does it mean my low beam switch has shorted out??????

j.jones 07-06-2010 08:07 PM

I have a 09 streetglide my radio needs to be replaced . The code can up b2007 .I am being told i will get a refurbished not a new one .has this happen to anyone else

Harleypingman 07-07-2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by scooterman01 (Post 6941659)
2006 Street Glide radio turns off and back on again by its self

Originally Posted by rgm (Post 6961846)
What exactly does this error code mean:

Does it mean my low beam switch has shorted out??????

Originally Posted by j.jones (Post 6963848)
I have a 09 streetglide my radio needs to be replaced . The code can up b2007 .I am being told i will get a refurbished not a new one .has this happen to anyone else

Post your individual problems as new threads. You'll get more views than posting replies in this sticky thread, and more likely to get an answer to your questions.

Carl

18BKLR 07-10-2010 05:24 PM

Find it a lot easier to pull the HK out and sell it on Ebay. 800-1000 bucks. Spend that money at biketronics and your problems are gone, and you get a way better stereo in the end. Just my opinion

Meatloaf-sc 08-01-2010 11:29 AM

thanks

great post thanks

SKY NET 08-01-2010 08:38 PM

I have a 09 street glide , when you turn the ignition on my hk displays (radio not calibrated) ?

Xkikbxr 08-02-2010 09:02 PM

Anyway to diagnose a radio on a 2000 FLHTC? I had the radio and amp and volume control on the hadle bars replaced in 08 because of a short in the system. It was replaced unde extended warranty thru the dealer. It was a direct OEM replacement supposedly but I think it was actually a refurbished radio and amp. Anyway the new symptoms are that the front and back left sid espeaker is cutting off and on I get a lot of satic when hitting bumps in road. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Harleypingman 08-02-2010 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Xkikbxr (Post 7090395)
Anyway to diagnose a radio on a 2000 FLHTC? I had the radio and amp and volume control on the hadle bars replaced in 08 because of a short in the system. It was replaced unde extended warranty thru the dealer. It was a direct OEM replacement supposedly but I think it was actually a refurbished radio and amp. Anyway the new symptoms are that the front and back left sid espeaker is cutting off and on I get a lot of satic when hitting bumps in road. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Call Radio Sound: (502) 267-6768. RS was HD's vendor of the radio in your bike. Ask for customer service; they're very helpful.

Carl

Xkikbxr 08-03-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Harleypingman (Post 7090549)
Call Radio Sound: (502) 267-6768. RS was HD's vendor of the radio in your bike. Ask for customer service; they're very helpful.

Carl

Thanks Carl, I'll give them a shot.

kennyross 08-05-2010 01:18 PM

I think I have a stuck or open radio switch. It does not say it on the dig. screen, but I have poor or no radio signal. Can I fix this or does it have to go to HD. 2008 EG out of warranty .
Thanks.

Jim Dawson 08-27-2010 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by 18BKLR (Post 6981887)
Find it a lot easier to pull the HK out and sell it on Ebay. 800-1000 bucks. Spend that money at biketronics and your problems are gone, and you get a way better stereo in the end. Just my opinion

I guess if you have a police bike and aren't used to the intercom, CB, and water resistance of the stock radio that might be a good suggestion. If you like the features of the HK just send it to Iron Crosse and get it fixed, much cheaper solution.

BigBen 09-02-2010 08:31 PM

I have nothing. Nothing on the display, and even the backlight at night doesn't work. Any suggestions?

08 Road glide.

chuckb 09-05-2010 08:55 PM

Send it in for repair. Happened to my 06 3 times. The first time under warranty. The last time I lived with it for a year before I sent it in. I then had to take it to the dealer to have it calibrated. They set up for the country you live in.

Lrider 09-12-2010 08:34 PM

Sometimes when I start the bike up the radio comes on. It does not do this all the time just sometimes. Anybody else have this problem and know why.

Lrider 09-12-2010 08:47 PM

I forgot to mention my bike is a 2010 Electra Glide Classic on my last post. Thanks...

Wynndaddy 09-24-2010 09:57 AM

Had one that the plug on the back was loose from the factory . Seated it and everything was good .

cass 10-09-2010 04:02 PM

Great info and timely for me. Yesterday, my radio just started changing channels randomly. Sat overnight and today it was good. Will have to check. It might be a pinched wire as they just replaced the cruise control switch.
Appreciate you sharing.

cass