Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked license plate cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

i got good ones at advanced auto had 1 on shelve order 3 more

Old 06-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antarius
Thank you Dad.

Now can someone else answer my question or am I just going to get a lecture on the California Vehicle Code? For all you know this isn't even for a road-going motorcycle, or for one being driven where it's illegal, or perhaps it's for a show for the weekend, or a million other reasons.

Do me a favor, save the lecture for your children. I'm not one of them.

PS: Are you aware that modifying your exhaust system for the purpose of making it louder is also illegal? Didn't seem to stop you....

And if you think the first portion about slip-ons covers you? Wrong.

Thank you for your concern, and a genuine thank you for what you do, but please stop lecturing me.

Seems pretty stupid to come onto an international forum and state that you're a California LEO and chastice someone about a smoked license plate cover and then advertise that you are breaking the C.A.R.B. laws in your signature.

Last edited by Harley_RN; 06-12-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 PM
antarius
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree...

Anyhow, thank you for the info.

Last edited by antarius; 06-13-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:48 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cjairplane
antarius...I'm a LEO here in our beautiful republic of California. Anything over your license plate is illegal. Whether it is clear, smoked, rosen, blue, or whatever, it's illegal. I know all of these colors are sold legally in stores, but so are the blue LED lights for your windshield washer nozzles (also illegal). The same goes for tinted windows in the cages, no matter how dark it is, it's illegal (that's an officer safety issue mostly). Sorry Sir, no suggestions from me. You're better off risking somebody taking your plate or the $300 registration sticker that's in the corners! I know you're from the Bay Area, but even YOU aren't exempt from this law, although your city tries with many other laws. So let's go ahead and shut this one down now. You wanted a dark cover...not gonna fly here in Cali. Who wants to argue this one?
Same in Arkansas and Missouri and I would imagine almost every state. Not heavily enforced, still could get you stopped and most likely a ticket. ........ Just for FYI purposes.

Last edited by mike5511; 06-13-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:39 AM
laduckslayer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Same in Arkansas and Missouri and I would imagine almost every state. Not heavily enforced, still could get you stopped and most likely a ticket. ........ Just for FYI purposes.
Exactly - you just opened the door for my Probable Cause to stop. Mind if I take a look in your saddle bags?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by laduckslayer
Exactly - you just opened the door for my Probable Cause to stop. Mind if I take a look in your saddle bags?

Depends if they keep whatever you're worried about in their saddle bags ? Are you even an LEO ?

Last edited by Harley_RN; 06-13-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 AM
laduckslayer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_RN
Depends if they keep whatever you're worried about in their saddle bags ? Are you even an LEO ?
Retired!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:51 PM
antarius
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bike pretty much has PC all over it, especially when I slap a slip-on on it, or when they look at the front turn signals or whatever. All LEO's, retired and active, know that any vehicle has PC somewhere, somehow, someway. I'm not hiding anything nor concerned with being stopped for a license plate cover, and if I am, so be it. It's not the end of the world to me.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:08 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by laduckslayer
Mind if I take a look in your saddle bags?
As a matter of fact I do, feel free to look at anything that is visible without needing to be opened, other than that no, respectfully, but no.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:13 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cjairplane
antarius... The same goes for tinted windows in the cages, no matter how dark it is, it's illegal (that's an officer safety issue mostly).
In MA, we are allowed to have tinted windows, just have to be within regs (can't remember the percentage of light it has to allow in), and that is only for the front windows, rear windows can be as dark as you want.

When we go for inspection stickers, they put a meter on the tinted windows to make sure they are withing specs.

Don't know if we can have license plate covers, tons of people have them, never heard of anyone being stopped. But I don't know if it is legal or not. I would think a cover that doesn't stop anyone from seeing the numbers would be ok, can't see any reason not to be allowed to have one.

Quick Reply: Smoked license plate cover?