Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Old 05-19-2017, 08:51 PM
Atlantaclassic
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil leak

Well after putting some miles on my 07 Ultra Classic I noticed a oil spot under it today. Bike had sat for 5 months not being ridden by previous owner. Any idea of cost to fix this and is it a gasket fix?

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak-20170519_213726.jpg   Oil leak-20170519_213744.jpg  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:19 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

It's coming from the engine, transmission, or primary drive.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:55 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Impossible to give you much help given those two pics.
The problem with oil leaks is they can start anywhere and get blown back over the whole bike and you have to be real observant to find the source.
I have an 07 Ultra Classic as well that had a leak. I thought it was the outer primary gasket leaking. Turned out to be the stator plug 6" forward of where I originally thought.
Clean everything up real good, take it for a short ride and see if you can find the source. Then we can probably help you out.
Oh, one more thing. Buy a Factory Service Manual (FSM). If you plan on doing any of your own work you will need one.

The following users liked this post:
Atlantaclassic (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Atlantaclassic
Cruiser
Old 05-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

All righty...now then...this is just one of those situation where you...or a mechanic of your choosing...will just have to get in there and get their hands dirty. Literally. What I would do is get some original formula Gunk...not the foamy, the original, which I suspect is merely diesel fuel in a rattle can...and get everything cleaned up good. Take a ride, then look for the leak.

There's not much we out here on the World Wide Web can do for you for stuff like this, except tell you where the common places are...for instance, the bolts that hold on the exhaust mount on the transmission, right side. Check those...but just like electrical work, it's all scut stuff...

Old 05-20-2017, 01:43 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

+1 on the gunk bath, I would also spray down the area around and under the oil filter, just in case the last oil filter change was a little sloppy. But a gunk bath is needed to find the source.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:49 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 304 Posts

Chasing fluid leaks is 2nd in frustration only to chasing electrical gremlins. I have the same bike as you (not that that really means much) but I've had fluid leaks here and there.

As mentioned the stator grommet is a common culprit although it is fairly easy to spot. It is also a PITA to fix, and costly as you need to replace the entire stator. It is such a waste to throw a completely functional component in the trash because of such a stupid engineering design, but I replaced mine about 20,000 miles ago and so far it is leak free.

Last summer I had a minor shift shaft seal leak so into the inner primary I went. Fixed that and also changed out the Inner Primary Bearing with the Baker High Torque since I was in there.

Shortly after that I discovered another leak, this one turned out to be the oil pan. Once discovered it was an easy fix. 12 Allen screws re-torqued and no more leak.

The thing you need to realize is all fluid leaks, regardless of where they originate, the fluid will migrate to the lowest point on the bike. This is often the bottom of the outer primary cover. Chasing it back from there is the trick. Once you've cleaned up the existing oil (S-100 Cleaner is a good product but be sure and follow the directions carefully) you can sprinkle some baby or talcum powder in the areas you suspect may be the cause. It won't take many miles before you will see where the leak is coming from, assuming you can get a line of sight to the area.

If I were you the first thing I would look at is the oil pan. All 12 of my screws needed tightening and I imagine they may never have been properly torqued from the factory.

Good luck.

Edit: After going back and seeing the last couple of photos I'm pretty sure your oil pan is leaking. That allen head screw that is just above the drain plug is mighty wet. Check all of those and report back to us.

Last edited by danzio; 05-20-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:27 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
Chasing fluid leaks is 2nd in frustration only to chasing electrical gremlins. I have the same bike as you (not that that really means much) but I've had fluid leaks here and there.

As mentioned the stator grommet is a common culprit although it is fairly easy to spot. It is also a PITA to fix, and costly as you need to replace the entire stator. It is such a waste to throw a completely functional component in the trash because of such a stupid engineering design, but I replaced mine about 20,000 miles ago and so far it is leak free.
Actually, I refused to replace a perfectly good stator because of a poor design. I throughly cleaned the plug including under the lip and the primary case then sealed it with a black RTV including under the lip of the plug. I let it cure for 24 hours and it hasn't leaked since. Further, it takes a very close inspection to tell the RTV is there. Total cost was under $5 for a fresh tube of RTV and 20 minutes of cleaning and applying plus cure time.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Actually, I refused to replace a perfectly good stator because of a poor design. I throughly cleaned the plug including under the lip and the primary case then sealed it with a black RTV including under the lip of the plug. I let it cure for 24 hours and it hasn't leaked since. Further, it takes a very close inspection to tell the RTV is there. Total cost was under $5 for a fresh tube of RTV and 20 minutes of cleaning and applying plus cure time.
I did that. It didn't work for me. Glad it worked out for you.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Atlantaclassic
Cruiser

Took it to HD for oil change and 52 point inspection. The drain plugs were all just hand tight. Torqued them down. They also found rear brake lamp switch inop, clutch cable leaking, loose muffler clamps, missing starter bracket fastener, loose pipe to trans bracket bolts, loose drive belt, front brake m/c lid leaking, trans exh bracket screws loose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak