Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked license plate cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:45 AM
antarius
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked license plate cover?

Anyone know where to get one? Or rather, can anyone vouch for one that isn't a giant pile of garbage? All I seem to find online are smoked lenses that 1) aren't very dark and 2) look like they were cut in someone's back yard.

I want it relatively dark (still able to read the plate) and made of good quality plastic, lexan, whatever....

Suggestions please! Thanks in advance.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:53 AM
cjairplane
Cruiser

antarius...I'm a LEO here in our beautiful republic of California. Anything over your license plate is illegal. Whether it is clear, smoked, rosen, blue, or whatever, it's illegal. I know all of these colors are sold legally in stores, but so are the blue LED lights for your windshield washer nozzles (also illegal). The same goes for tinted windows in the cages, no matter how dark it is, it's illegal (that's an officer safety issue mostly). Sorry Sir, no suggestions from me. You're better off risking somebody taking your plate or the $300 registration sticker that's in the corners! I know you're from the Bay Area, but even YOU aren't exempt from this law, although your city tries with many other laws. So let's go ahead and shut this one down now. You wanted a dark cover...not gonna fly here in Cali. Who wants to argue this one?

Last edited by cjairplane; 06-12-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:51 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-12-2010, 08:13 AM
sbergerson
Cruiser

What cjairplane said... Same laws in Minnesota.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 PM
antarius
Advanced

Originally Posted by cjairplane
antarius...I'm a LEO here in our beautiful republic of California. Anything over your license plate is illegal. Whether it is clear, smoked, rosen, blue, or whatever, it's illegal. I know all of these colors are sold legally in stores, but so are the blue LED lights for your windshield washer nozzles (also illegal). The same goes for tinted windows in the cages, no matter how dark it is, it's illegal (that's an officer safety issue mostly). Sorry Sir, no suggestions from me. You're better off risking somebody taking your plate or the $300 registration sticker that's in the corners! I know you're from the Bay Area, but even YOU aren't exempt from this law, although your city tries with many other laws. So let's go ahead and shut this one down now. You wanted a dark cover...not gonna fly here in Cali. Who wants to argue this one?
Thank you Dad.

Now can someone else answer my question or am I just going to get a lecture on the California Vehicle Code? For all you know this isn't even for a road-going motorcycle, or for one being driven where it's illegal, or perhaps it's for a show for the weekend, or a million other reasons.

Do me a favor, save the lecture for your children. I'm not one of them.

PS: Are you aware that modifying your exhaust system for the purpose of making it louder is also illegal? Didn't seem to stop you....

Originally Posted by Vance and Hines Website
Vance & Hines exhaust systems for non-catalyst equipped motorcycles as well as slip-fit mufflers that mount downstream of catalysts are considered legal replacement parts in California. California does not, however, permit the use of aftermarket exhaust systems that remove original equipment catalysts unless a California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order has been issued. Although Vance & Hines has applications on file with CARB and has completed durability testing for its catalyst systems, approval has not been granted at this time. Until CARB approval is obtained, exhaust systems that remove original equipment catalysts are legal in California for racing use only.
And if you think the first portion about slip-ons covers you? Wrong.

Originally Posted by California Vehicle Code
27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
Thank you for your concern, and a genuine thank you for what you do, but please stop lecturing me.

Last edited by antarius; 06-12-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:25 PM
antarius
Advanced

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
Thank you.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:39 PM
scarpetta
Tourer

That's odd I read the OP's post and I must have missed the part where he asked if there was any reason he shouldn't get a smoked cover for his scoot.

Last edited by scarpetta; 06-12-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:40 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,942 Likes on 21,311 Posts

I think that they're illegal in many states no?
Or at any rate, I think it would be a good way to get pulled over, JMO.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:01 PM
antarius
Advanced

^^^ Possibly..... Any suggestions from anyone else? I've found one so far, but it's not really that dark... hmm..

Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That one I linked to is pretty dark in person, I checked it out at my local auto parts store last weekend. I didn't get it since it's a "bubble" style and wouldn't work with a frame.

I called my State Police about these covers years ago, they told me that while they are technically illegal but it's not something they ride around looking for. If a cop has a hard-on for you, then he's going to harass you about it and make you remove them or ticket you for them.

Steve

Quick Reply: Smoked license plate cover?