Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Big Bore kit 'again' (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/5314-big-bore-kit-again.html)

Feroce 06-12-2005 08:01 PM

Big Bore kit 'again'

If you look in the 2005 HD accessories book they list the graphs for the big bore kits. The Stage I has more TQ and HP than the Stage II. from 2500 to 4000rpm. The 103 only has 2 lb-ft TQ more than the Big Bore I. but does start with more TQ under 2500rpm. Looking at the Stage I, I believe it has the most bang for the buck.

NOW, people that have done the big bore kits please tell me what you think. How much fuel economy do you lose? I am getting 48mpg now (55mph and no shifts over 3000rpm). Got to have a set point to start with because when you get the kit you want to hot rod it and fuel economy goes down.

Ed

RGB KGB 06-12-2005 10:48 PM

RE: Big Bore kit 'again'

I went with the 103 in my Road Glide, she eatrs fuel something fierce but the oh shit factor is well worth it. I for one dont give a rats ass what my fuel economy is as long as she doesnt blow up along the way I am happy.

Terry TK 06-12-2005 10:52 PM

OK Ed,

I have the Stage II with the 203 cams in my 2000 Screamin Eagle Roadglide. I'm running 80 hp and around 87 torque. The only mod I've done to effect hp is Stage I air cleaner and Rinehart True Duals. Stock 95 with EPA crap runs aroun 73 hp.

I get a solid 40 mpg shifting hard and running 70 +++. If I ran 55 mph with no high rpm shifts I would probably get 45-48 mpg. Of course I have never ran 55 mph (LOL).

I would go with the stage II since it comes with the 203 cam,s or...........put in the high compression pistons and 251 cams and really have a ball. If you send your heads off for port and polish you can really improve your throttle response. Your not going to break the bank with fuel loss but you will notice a difference when you "ride it like you stole it". Of course you will get better mileage out of your front tire since it won't be on the ground much:D

Terry

Feroce 06-13-2005 12:07 AM

I get a solid 40 to 42 mpg shifting hard and running 79 mph now, with Stage I EFI aircleaner and V&H pipes.

I just don't want to creat a monster again. I had a great bike but wanted more HP, well I got the HP but had to fill up every 100 miles because I got 30 mpg just cruising. Sometimes I run with a group at 50 to 62 mph on secondary roads and want to get the 48 mpg or a little less but none of this 30 mpg crap.

Ed

HDF Tech 06-13-2005 12:14 AM

Ok, here's my story:D
I have the 95 in a SE deuce with the usual 203/ FI and on the road at about 60-70 mph I've gotten 47.7 mpg averaged out over 3 tankfulls. I'd say that's respectable.

Feroce 06-13-2005 12:15 AM

terryt1955

I like your sig "When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did-quietly in his sleep-not screaming like the passanger on his motorcycle!"

But I told it to some people and they thought he went to sleep while riding the bike. I read it as he was sleeping and in his dream this happened.

I would like to use your sig with a change "When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did-quietly in his bed sleeping......not screaming like the passanger on his motorcycle!"

Ed

Kess 06-13-2005 12:25 AM

I would like to use your sig with a change "When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did-quietly in his bed sleeping......not screaming like the passanger on his motorcycle!"
and if you are going to fix the grammer you may as well fix the spelling - i.e Passenger - ;)

Feroce 06-13-2005 12:26 AM

TCSTD

That is one good looking bike but why such little miles? I have 2200 on mine and it is now 3 weeks old. Your fuel econ sounds great I am thinking about the 95 stage I no cams.

Ed

Feroce 06-13-2005 12:30 AM

Kess
OPPS.. I did not look at grammer and spelling just the meaning by adding the word bed.

Ed

HDF Tech 06-13-2005 12:36 AM

Feroce

It's a long story, but boils down to nerve damage in my hands from an accident in 1991 on the job and saw this one after getting rid of my WG and RK the same day two years prior and had to have it. I enjoy it on my "good" days (not to many) and that's the reason for the low miles. Somebody is going to get a super package that buys it. Been riding about 35 years now, so I've had the best of it allready. It's time to do the "right thing"

also you said...Your fuel econ sounds great I am thinking about the 95 stage I no cams.

It would make much more sense to do the cams while the engine is apart, you actually save quite a few $$$ doing it this way in labor.