Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   I can't take the squeaking anymore (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/531507-i-cant-take-the-squeaking-anymore.html)

King Crimson 06-25-2010 09:10 AM

I can't take the squeaking anymore

This just started a week ago. It seems to be coming from the right side so I assumed it was the pipe hangers. I went ahead and replaced the rubber muffler hangers and did not help. I also tightened down the muffler connections to the header pipes and tightned by the flanges. Wasn't loose anyway. It is definately external and seems to come from the front right side. The squeeking and chirping sound is almost continuos at some rpms but at times will completely go away. HELP, I can't take it anymore!

PROBLEM SOLVED

OK, here's an update on this issue. Persistence pays off!

I grabbed the crossover pipe very firmly and was able to reproduce the squeak by pushing and pulling on it. At that I point I discovered that the L bracket mounted on the right side of frame (a Bub component) was cracked in half under the clamp. Really didn't see it until I went to remove the clamp. I will contact Bub tomorrow for a replacement.

Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom and advice on this forum

Road Ranger 06-25-2010 09:26 AM

Do you have any decorative covers on your bike that may be loose causing the noise?

oneroadking 06-25-2010 09:34 AM

wheel bearing ?

King Crimson 06-25-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Road Ranger (Post 6912471)
Do you have any decorative covers on your bike that may be loose causing the noise?

You mean Kuryakyn poor man's chrome? Yes! I have one on the right side behind the crossover pipe. Have you heard of these squeeking before?

JHeiser 06-25-2010 09:37 AM

A few weeks back I had the same thing - then it stopped. I was washing the bike and noticed why the squeaking stopped. The bolt that held the top rail of the saddle bag guard rails had come out. Check every nut and bolt on that side of the bike.

King Crimson 06-25-2010 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by oneroadking (Post 6912506)
wheel bearing ?

You might be on to something. Although only 8200 miles. May be worth putting on the jack and spinning the tires although that may not reproduce it without the weight.

Jonny Cannon 06-25-2010 09:48 AM

Your drive belt is too tight.

Cannon

Gaspumpcity 06-25-2010 09:51 AM

Like JHEISER said I found a squeak coming from the top bag lid where it latches to the fender bracket.

King Crimson 06-25-2010 09:56 AM

All great suggestions. But, drive belt is loose, Kury covers are tight. And I don't have and loose bolts around the rear fender.

DPete 06-25-2010 10:01 AM

Yer hose clamps on yer heat shields not loose or broken?

antarius 06-25-2010 10:05 AM

Mine was squeeking/vibrating too, it was the windscreen - where it meets with the batwing it was squeeking. I tightened up the bolts a bit and it went away.

Olde Skool 06-25-2010 10:17 AM

Get cha some silicone and spray it on the rubber muffler hanger on the rear of the bike. If that cures it, it will only be temporary. I ended up taking the saddle bag support off and put it in a vise and crushed the steel that holds the rubber thing a little bit. If it in fact is the hanger, try my suggestion. Slightly crush it on the top and bottom AND on the sides. Not too much though! You want it to be tighter, but still allow the flat steel piece to still slide some as it needs to be able to move to absorb movement of the pipe. Might want to take that chrome cover off and see it that is the culprit...

Scorpion07 06-25-2010 10:23 AM

It's your floor board. The front floorboard mount (on both sides) has a 1'8" of clearance between it and the bracket mount. I used a nylon washer wedged between them and held it in place by the mounting bolt. Does that make sense??? Anyway - look at the front attachment and you'll see what I'm talking about. Do both sides - because the other one will do the same thing eventually.

King Crimson 06-25-2010 10:37 AM

Ok I just realized its not wheel bearings since I can hear it when I'm at a red light.

Desoto 06-25-2010 10:52 AM

Mine was squeaking like crazy too. And it came from the same spot as you described. I narrowed it down to the upper front motor mount. The one with heim joints. Took it off, cleaned it and lubed it and the squeaking went away. Just to see if thats your problem, just spray some lube on the joints and work them by hand a little, is the squeak stops, remove, clean, lube and replace.

dyna07custom 06-25-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by JHeiser (Post 6912529)
A few weeks back I had the same thing - then it stopped. I was washing the bike and noticed why the squeaking stopped. The bolt that held the top rail of the saddle bag guard rails had come out. Check every nut and bolt on that side of the bike.

same thing happened to me at 1,000 miles pulled and blue locktite them all all of them were loose

Badfinger 06-25-2010 06:29 PM

Check your side covers to see if one of the grommets popped out.

ThePointman 06-25-2010 07:05 PM

I have the same noise and I found that if I push down on my left muffler the noise goes away. I just wrapped the baffles and the chirping started. So in my case I think it may be the hanger or the bag but I still haven't stopped riding long enough to find out

bigdumbnoitall00 06-25-2010 09:10 PM

had a hose clamp on the exhaust sheld touchin on the tranny cover drove me nuts till i found it.only touched when running it showed a little clearence when not running.

richro123 06-25-2010 09:19 PM

Saddlebag latch......metal to metal.

bmorebhoy 06-26-2010 09:07 AM

I had the same problem as you described, sounds like annoying birds at idle and changes at different RPM. Hit it with WD-40 two months ago and so far all is good. Here's my thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ler-clamp.html

TexasTim 06-26-2010 09:43 AM

I had a squeaking coming from the rear also. There are braces that hold the bottom rail for the hard bag and another for the fender that come together near the rear bottom of the bike on each side. Harley had put a piece of rubber tape right where they come close to each other but the tape was misaligned on one side so it didn't prevent them from rubbing together and squeaking. If you run your hand along the hard bag brace moving towards the rear tire you can feel the little piece of tape. Went to wallyworld and bought a $2 roll of rubberized tape and put a piece in there and the squeak stopped.

King Crimson 06-26-2010 08:47 PM

OK, I have an update on this issue.

First of all, I have a Bub 7 exhaust with crossover pipe. While riding, I put pressure on the crossover pipe with the bottom of my foot and guess what...the squeaking noise goes away, completely.

So here's what I did.

0) Replaced muffler rubber mounts - still squeaks
1) Tightened all heat shield mount screws - still squeaks
2) Removed all heat shields - still squeaks
3) Tightened all of the pipe clamps and tightened screws by exhaust flanges where they connect to the cylinders (none of the connections were loose) - squeaking reduced to about 50% of the time.

I'm afraid to tighten the flange bolts any tighter since I could damage the braided gasket inside which would force me to remove the exhaust to replace them. Which means I would have to disassemble an exhaust system thats been on the bike for 3 years. Is it even possible to take an exhaust system apart at this point or are all of the sections pretty much fused together by heat? Is it true that they cut off old exhaust systems with saws because they can't be dis-assembled?

Not sure what to do at this point. Maybe I'll just turn up the radio.

YourOldDog 06-27-2010 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by King Crimson (Post 6912804)
Ok I just realized its not wheel bearings since I can hear it when I'm at a red light.

Mine wasn't sqeeking at red lights but rattling. Lent the bike to my friend and he came back and the pipes had some road rash on them. They were loose and fell off while he was at speed. Said it scared the crap out of him! They are on tight now but good dose or road rash.

Originally Posted by ThePointman (Post 6914860)
I have the same noise and I found that if I push down on my left muffler the noise goes away. I just wrapped the baffles and the chirping started. So in my case I think it may be the hanger or the bag but I still haven't stopped riding long enough to find out

Pointman, mine only went about 250 from first notice of rattle at red lights to falling off. Don't wait to long to investigate.

jimsflh 06-27-2010 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by King Crimson (Post 6912644)
All great suggestions. But, drive belt is loose, Kury covers are tight. And I don't have and loose bolts around the rear fender.

A loose belt will cause squeeking/chirping too.

dmorganroth 06-27-2010 06:47 AM

I had a baffle come loose drove me nuts

Olde Skool 06-27-2010 07:06 AM

You write:

***So here's what I did.

***0) Replaced muffler rubber mounts - still squeaks
***1) Tightened all heat shield mount screws - still squeaks
***2) Removed all heat shields - still squeaks
***3) Tightened all of the pipe clamps and tightened screws by exhaust flanges ***where they connect to the cylinders (none of the connections were loose) - ***squeaking reduced to about 50% of the time.

Well, you did all the above....Maybe try my suggestion in post #12. It fixed my squeaky @$$ed scoot. It is only a two beer job if you drink 'em real fast. When you take the saddle bag off, check to make sure both rubber thingys are on the bottom of the saddle bag where it rests on the support rail.

1st 96 ultra 06-27-2010 07:20 AM

I sure wish we could decide what is wrong here , I have the same problem that comes on about 2200 rpm so lets make up our minds LOL

1st 96 ultra 06-27-2010 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by King Crimson (Post 6918821)
OK, I have an update on this issue.

First of all, I have a Bub 7 exhaust with crossover pipe. While riding, I put pressure on the crossover pipe with the bottom of my foot and guess what...the squeaking noise goes away, completely.

So here's what I did.

0) Replaced muffler rubber mounts - still squeaks
1) Tightened all heat shield mount screws - still squeaks
2) Removed all heat shields - still squeaks
3) Tightened all of the pipe clamps and tightened screws by exhaust flanges where they connect to the cylinders (none of the connections were loose) - squeaking reduced to about 50% of the time.

I'm afraid to tighten the flange bolts any tighter since I could damage the braided gasket inside which would force me to remove the exhaust to replace them. Which means I would have to disassemble an exhaust system thats been on the bike for 3 years. Is it even possible to take an exhaust system apart at this point or are all of the sections pretty much fused together by heat? Is it true that they cut off old exhaust systems with saws because they can't be dis-assembled?

Not sure what to do at this point. Maybe I'll just turn up the radio.

the pipes will come apart fairly easy , they do not rust together like on a car because the chrome plating , I have taken a lot apart and never had a problem , at least not had to cut them off , a few wiggles and a little work and should come off

1flhtk4me 06-27-2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Olde Skool (Post 6912712)
I ended up taking the saddle bag support off and put it in a vise and crushed the steel that holds the rubber thing a little bit. If it in fact is the hanger, try my suggestion. Slightly crush it on the top and bottom AND on the sides. Not too much though! You want it to be tighter, but still allow the flat steel piece to still slide some as it needs to be able to move to absorb movement of the pipe.

Yep,did this a long time ago to fix an annoying squeak before the 2-1 went on.

King Crimson 06-27-2010 11:22 PM

Problem solved

OK, here's an update on this issue. Persistence pays off!

I grabbed the crossover pipe very firmly and was able to reproduce the squeak by pushing and pulling on it. At that I point I discovered that the L bracket mounted on the right side of frame (a Bub component) was cracked in half under the clamp. Really didn't see it until I went to remove the clamp. I will contact Bub tomorrow for a replacement.

Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom and advice on this forum!

giobott 07-28-2011 01:42 PM

squeaky exhaust pipe

I to went through all of sqeaky pipe solutions on my Road King. Then, with the pipes hot and wearing a pair of welding gloves I pulled and pushed on the cross over. Ah ha the squeak. While dismantling, discovered the pipe hanger mount, allen head bolts at the engine were loose. (damm stealer had their hands in there a month back) dressed the screws and torgued them down. Problem solved. No issues since, whew very anoying

YourOldDog 07-29-2011 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by giobott (Post 8627942)
I to went through all of sqeaky pipe solutions on my Road King. Then, with the pipes hot and wearing a pair of welding gloves I pulled and pushed on the cross over. Ah ha the squeak. While dismantling, discovered the pipe hanger mount, allen head bolts at the engine were loose. (damm stealer had their hands in there a month back) dressed the screws and torgued them down. Problem solved. No issues since, whew very anoying

That's when my problem erupted. About 1 week after having forward controls installed in Varysburg, NY. Now I'll go through life with road rash on my pipes.