Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well I did it - Stage IV - picking it up today

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Well I did it - Stage IV - picking it up today

I did something I said I would never do “Motor Work”. I bought a cruiser to just cruise and didn’t need any extra power. Yes a stock touring bike is kind of a dog, but that didn’t bother me.

But I got to thinking (usually not a good idea for me) after I read an article about how the EPA has these motors so chocked down and a simple “cam upgrade” would do wonders.

To make a long story short after talking to several people I decided the best thing for me was to go with the “Screamin Eagle 103 Stage IV” kit. I know I could have saved some money driving 4 hours to PhilM and have him do the work and have his man do the tune. But I wanted to keep things simple for me, in case I had any trouble in the future. So I had my local dealer (which I do have a good relationship with) install the kit. By good relationship I do not mean a discount. lol

For those who want to know, the Stage IV kit is basically
103 cubic inch
Screamin’ Eagle Performance 110+ Heads which include large intake valves at 2.125" diameter,
High compression forged aluminum 10.5:1
SE260 cam,
Perfect-Fit Pushrods,
58mm EFI throttle body,
3-7/8" diameter highlighted cylinders,
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Plus some other parts

This is all a bit more radical than a simple “cam upgrade” but then I thought “what the hell, why not”. Hahahahahahaha

So far I have only heard it run and I will pick it up today sometime. BTW I’ve had a boner ever since I heard that thing sit there and crackle. If it’s half as mean as it sounds, I’ll be in heaven.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Ammohog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great man, let us know how it goes, I have a feeling I'm going to have to do the same to my '10 SG. How much they charge you out the door?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Fewe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. I've been contemplating a "cam swap" for some time now but every time I think about it I think "While I'm in there I could just go ahead and do a HQ 107 kit and be done". I think I would be happy with just a cam, but I have met me and know that a cam swap could open up a giant can of Whoopass on my wallet. Congrats on the build and I'm sure the perma-grin will go away eventually!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 AM
fripple
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
BTW I’ve had a boner ever since I heard that thing sit there and crackle.
Don't go to the dealership like that!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I cant believe you have the time to type this before picking her up...lol I would be sniffing at the door 1st thing waiting to get on her. Don't forget to post up some dyno numbers man. Enjoy the waking beast

Old 06-25-2010, 11:03 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea keep us posted i have a 103 also and was thinking about doing some changes also. thanks and enjoy the ride.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fewe
I feel your pain. I've been contemplating a "cam swap" for some time now but every time I think about it I think "While I'm in there I could just go ahead and do a HQ 107 kit and be done". I think I would be happy with just a cam, but I have met me and know that a cam swap could open up a giant can of Whoopass on my wallet. Congrats on the build and I'm sure the perma-grin will go away eventually!!!
I am with you on this. I want to do cams, but I know that is only going to cost me out the *** before I would be done. I keep telling myself to wait until the warranty expires (at least this will buy me another 10 months). The bike should have around 50K miles by than and I can just "freshen it up".

Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
George0620
Intermediate

From personal experience, I think you will love the end product. I did almost the same to my '09 RG, except I didn't buy the package Stage IV kit from the dealer, my buddy (who's a harley mechanic at a local dealership) and myself bought the parts we wanted but is almost the same. I did the following...

103ci Big Bore Jugs
SE Ported and Polished CNC MVA heads ( I think 1 step up from what the package gives you, but both are good)
SE 260 Cams
Forged SE Flattop Pistons
Adjustable Pushrods
SERT
Rhinehart TD's

The big differences in what I built (and I'm learning, since I'm new to owning a Harley in the past year, but those on this forum are a big wealth of knowledge and very helpful) is that I did not do the big throttle body yet, but am planning on adding it, with high perf fuel injectors. Also, my piston choice (1 of 3 combo's for these heads) only gave me 9:1 compression, which as I've learned is really hurting my numbers on a dyno. I plan on putting in the Forged Race Pistons from SE that will get me 11:1 compression as well as the throttle body in the winter.

I have over 1000 miles on my new build and just love it, and sure I will love it more when I do the additional changes. Great power, but not over the top. The power band with this cam starts on my bike around 3000 rpms and pulls hard up to the adjusted redline of 6200 rpms. Sound is just amazing, and performance is also great. I have no complaints, just want more power.

So just wanted you to know from someone who just did this that is really is a great upgrade for those who want to spend bigger $$ than just the cams. It isn't cheap, and not for everyone, but I am happy I did it and looking forward to making additional changes.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you are excited... post up some dyno numbers when you get it and make the rest of us jealous

Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
BTW I’ve had a boner ever since I heard that thing sit there and crackle. If it’s half as mean as it sounds, I’ll be in heaven.
See your doctor for erections lasting longer than 4hrs...

Quick Reply: Well I did it - Stage IV - picking it up today