Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parkway to Tappenz or Long Is. to Orient Pt ferry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:55 AM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Parkway to Tappenz or Long Is. to Orient Pt ferry?

On our trip up to Maine, we will be coming up the Jersey shore. I am thinking about coming around through Staten Island and using the Verazzano Narrows Bridge to go up Long Island and then taking the Orient Point Ferry to New London, CT. It will probably be the only time I will ever have the opportunity to travel that way. Am I making a mistake? Should I just go around NYC using the GS Parkway and TappanZ? I can't make up my mind!?! Any advice?

Old 06-25-2010, 11:07 AM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

Originally Posted by etstrine
On our trip up to Maine, we will be coming up the Jersey shore. I am thinking about coming around through Staten Island and using the Verazzano Narrows Bridge to go up Long Island and then taking the Orient Point Ferry to New London, CT. It will probably be the only time I will ever have the opportunity to travel that way. Am I making a mistake? Should I just go around NYC using the GS Parkway and TappanZ? I can't make up my mind!?! Any advice?
"It will probably be the only time I will ever have the opportunity to travel that way."

Based on that statement, just do it!. But bear in mind the traffic will be substantial. My advice would be to time your trip from SI, over the bridge and then thru Bklyn/Queens/Nassau counties as far away from commute times as you can.

I've done the ferry and it is a pleasant experience once you get there.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:43 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've traveled to Long Island both ways from Maine.............the ferry was much more enjoyable. It gives you about an hour to sit and relax and watch the sights go by.
Traffic in that area is crazy, so either way you have to be super careful and have like 8 eyes watching everything going on.

Steve

Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 AM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did that trip 2 weeks ago, and here are 2 thoughts for you from the perspective of someone who has lived in the tri-state area for most of my life. You will save SIGNIFICANT amounts of time going through SI / Long Island, and as said previously, you really want to avoid that crazy LI traffic, and the LIE if possible.. it sucks. When we headed that way, we left at 6:30am, and without issue, we were halfway across LI by 7:30 (I live in Edgewater, NJ.. so I can see the GW Bridge from my bedroom window). The ferry is also a nice experience, albeit a bit pricey.

If you don't mind the time, you can take the Palisades Interstate Parkway North, which is a BEAUTIFUL highway, with 2 lanes on each side separated by an island of grass / trees, all the way north towards Bear Mountain. If you want to take an unbelievable 30 minute detour, you would get off at exit 16, and head towards Lake Tiorati, which will make your head spin with how amazing the Harriman State Park is, and stop for a nice waterside lunch / pit stop. You can either go back south to the TZ Bridge, or continuing the journey north, cut across the Bear Mountain Bridge (also amazing) by West Point, and work your way up from there.

http://www.google.com/images?q=lake%20tiorati&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

I hope this helps, and I am sure your trip will be unbelievable no matter how you slice it... safe travels!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:22 AM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer

Here are some pics of

The Bear Mountain Bridge

Old 06-26-2010, 12:06 PM
cdale976
Road Master

being from ne pennsylvania and havin been through nyc many different ways i learned to stay away on the bike unless you are well rested and alert. my choice going to maine is to take 78e to 33n to 209n to 84 e 209 n is along delaware national forest and relaxing early in the morning or early evening.84 will take you back to 95 if you chose

Old 06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
etstrine
Tourer

I want to hit all of the Mid Atlantic and New England states on this trip so going through or around NY is a must.

If I can not get through in the early morning hours, what hour of the mid morning should I target? Is the worst of rush hour over by 9:30? When does it start up again in the afternoon?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Another thing that's not fun is I-95 which covers your whole trip up the CT coast. Avoid as much of it as possible. Nothing but trucks and lunatics who won't leave the left lane.
You might enjoy the ferry but the LI portion offers very little excitement.
Consider the suggestion of taking the Bear Mountain Bridge from the Palisades Parkway. Go left on Rt 9D and take the scenic route through CT. You'll still hit NY State and CT but you'll see and ride some nice country roads. If driving through NYC is on your agenda then the ferry is the way to go.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ny never sleeps - traffic is a way of life - with that said early morning is always the best choice - all other times are a roll of the dice - good luck

Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by etstrine
I want to hit all of the Mid Atlantic and New England states on this trip so going through or around NY is a must.

If I can not get through in the early morning hours, what hour of the mid morning should I target? Is the worst of rush hour over by 9:30? When does it start up again in the afternoon?

Thanks!
if you can't get thru ny in the early morning hours, wait until around 11. you'll fight the least at that time

Quick Reply: Parkway to Tappenz or Long Is. to Orient Pt ferry?