Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Fairings for Road King

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Fairings for Road King

Are any of you using an aftermarket fairing with stereo for your Road King? I've been looking at Street Glides, but I don't want to trade in my RK just yet and I know that there are aftermarket fairings with stereos that attach to the detach system just like the windshield does.

If you have one of these fairings, what do you have, how is the quality of the workmanship, where is the best place to get them and how is the sound quality of the stereo? Any other information that you would like to offer would be appreciated too!

I'm leaning toward the Dead Center...

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Old 06-29-2010, 05:35 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dead center is very nice. but a friend of mine bought his from dragonfly and it is very nice he didnt know how to use the flash drive. we happen to go to laughlin river run this year and dragonfly was there as ususal and they found they had to replace the head unit. so they installed the upgraded head unit and my friend said when he ordered it he wanted the black windsheild. so they gave him that also no questions asked . these guys are great they take care of there customers. it did cost him $2300.00 for the fairing. dead center is a bit more expensive but they make a good product also. anyway good luck on your choice and ride safe.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will probably hear from a lot of folks on this.
I have one of Glenn Woods fairings, Woodysfairings.com, it cost around $600 shipped, it came with 4 speakers, I had to supply the radio, the workmanship is flawless, it looks great on the bike.
The thing about Glenn is his customer service, I have called, and emaild him several times, some of them about things that he does not supply but knows a lot about.
One time on here some one posted a photo of a fairing they had just received from Glenn, it had tweeters on it, he said they came with the fairing, I mentioned in a post that mine did not have them, and I guessed Glenn had imporved his product, Glenn sent me a set of tweeters with instructions on mounting them, never asked for them, another time I could hear a clunk sound on the bike narrowed it down to one of the speakers, the magnet came loose, figured I hit a pot hole a little to hard, emaild Glenn to find out how much a replacement speaker would cost, he sent me a speaker no charge, said they are guaranteed.
I made a big windshield for my fairing, the one pictured in my sig, Glenn seen the photo called me to explain how that thing would apply a lot of pressure on the mounting bolts, explained why, and suggested I change the shap of the windshield or go with the one that came with it, which it what I did, the point is he didn't need to do any of those things but he did, in my opinion he/his is/are the best!!!
Just sayin
Terry

Old 06-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DeadCenter

Mine is a DeadCenter. The quality is excellent but it was expensive. I am thinking of trading for an Ultra so mine will be available.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Fairings for Road King-dscn0776.jpg  
Old 06-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Javawave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a wide open customs on my Roadstar, around 800 bucks with stereo and 4 speakers, it mounted right to the windshield brackets, BUT it is not quick disconnect. If you have a stereo you will have wiring to contend with, so quick disconnect may be an issue.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:55 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Aftermarket fairings

Jake,

Go aftermarket fairing. The point is that you can ride with a winshield, with a fairing, or topless, depending on the season or distance. Aftermarket fairings are expensive, but just don't get in a hurry. Wait until somebody sells a used one for a good price. I have Dead Center which I really like. It was white when I bought it (from a member) and I had it color matched for 200 bucks. Then I changed the stereo for one with Bluetooth and USB input so I carry an 8 GB USB drive with thousands of songs on it. Its also lockable, and it has a cigarrete lighter for use as a power supply. It comes with a quick disconnect harness.

Some pics

Name:  DC1.jpg
Views: 9793
Size:  136.9 KB

Quick disconnect is between the tank and the fork lock. It runs under the console back to the battery. Removal (after releasing the lock) takes about 15 seconds

Name:  DC3.jpg
Views: 9240
Size:  133.3 KB

overall look

Name:  DC2.jpg
Views: 9592
Size:  139.5 KB

I changed the stereo, but kept the speakers, 6 1/2 Polks that sound awesome. The quick disconnect harness is really simple, there's only three wires coming out of the console , A heavy positive and negative to power the cigarrete lighter and radio and a smaller gage wire to power the radio when its off, so it will remember its settings. It is a really simple triple plug. Inside of the fairing it has just the wires to the two speakers (the other set for the rear speakers is just rolled up and taped up, and the wires to the cigarrete lighter plug and internal antenna.
I hope this helps.

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 06-29-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the help. I also saw another post regarding this same issue and I got some good info there as well. Much appreciated.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Javawave
I had a wide open customs on my Roadstar, around 800 bucks with stereo and 4 speakers, it mounted right to the windshield brackets, BUT it is not quick disconnect. If you have a stereo you will have wiring to contend with, so quick disconnect may be an issue.
I just got a flat wireing plug from the hardware store, ran my wiring under the console, then through a loom, wired in the plug and presto a quick disconnect for the wiring.
Terry

Old 06-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Eddie2828
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi There,

How much for the Fairing

Old 06-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought a Dragonfly for two reasons. The first was the thing that drew me to their fairings to begin with... the best looking inner fairing of the bunch. Dragonfly mounts their speakers from the inside, which gives it less of an aftermarket look. Looks are subjective, but to my eye, the Dragonfly has the most OEM look.

Secondly was the way they are constructed. Dragonfly builds the fairings using a resing transfer process that results in a strong, lightweight inner and outer fairing. Then, they use a pair of stainless brackets that run all the way through the inner fairing, attaching at several points. The result is a light but very robust fairing that doesn't shake or vibrate in the least, and will stay that way for years to come.

Here's the inside of a Dragonfly fairing. You can clearly see the brackets that attach to the inner fairing, then mount onto the stock windshield location.

Here's the view from the drivers seat

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Fairings for Road King