Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's are just like cell phones!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heck I just sold my 80 FLT last year I bought back in 83,but still have my 01 bagger and 06 Deluxe.......
Back in 2000 my wife told me my 80 FLT was to old and I need a newer bike,Santa was good to me that X-Mas........

Its not how new or old your toys are but how much ya get to play with them.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My bagger model has only been out for 4 years, so I had to get a newer one. But I think I will keep her a while. Maybe put up a similar post in 10 years from now...lol

Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Keith4001r
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm an old Panhead guy (1952 EL), and it still cracks me up to hear Evos referred to as "old". I ride an '09 FLHTC. No apologies given or expected.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

A Harley is a Harley is a Harley. Just enjoy the ride through life. Ya just get to do it once, no matter how old or how new your Harley may be.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

jgcable, I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down. I've often wondered where the hell all of the Evo's went 'cause you sure don't see many around and they made a pile of 'em - 1984 to 1998, more or less. My forever to be last new purchase was an '06 StreetGlide. Looks great sitting next to my '95 FLHTC (also purchased new). The Evo is ridden often and still gets the nod for long trips. Other riders are amazed to find it's a '95 and I still ride it. I've had several bikes in between but never could part with that E-glide. I'll admit it took quite a while to overcome the new bike disease but I've whipped it and it feels great. Wouldn't mind having a shovel in the garage either.....hmmm...or maybe a pan...
Damn! Now I've got "old bike" disease.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
I ride a 1990 FLHTCU. It seems that 95% of the members here who have touring bikes are riding new bikes. What I mean by newer is anything that isn't an EVO. Jeez.... most of the posters on the touring section seem to be riding 2009 and up!!!
I never realized that the HD Forum was full of rich guys. I "heard" that the economy sucks and that Harley is not selling nearly as many bikes as a result of this terrible economy yet you would never be able to tell that from this forum.
Am I the one of the only poor guys who got slammed by the economy and rides a EVO powered FLHTCU with 63K on it?? I paid 5K for it and I had to do a ton of creative financing and liquidations in order to come up with the cash!!
I tried the EVO section of this forum but there isn't much action there.. especially for touring bikes.
Do I have a potential collectors item on my hands??? lol...
Most of the people I meet on the road or ride with can't believe I am riding a 20 year old bike with 63K on it.
I ride with a ton of guys and most of the time.. the oldest bike in the group.. besides mine... is a 2007 and that rider is just about ready to trade or sell it to get a new bike.
Have Harley's become just like cell phones? Back several years ago you would have the same cell phone until it broke or the contract expired. Nowadays.. people get a new cell phone as soon as the new model comes out which seems to be at least once a year.
Back in the old days.. Harley riders would ride their bikes into the ground, fix them and keep riding. Now.. they just go go the dealership for their factory maintenance and service and after about 2 years tops they trade in or sell and get a new bike.
Personally.. I think its depressing and it shows at the many bike rallies and bike nights I go to. There are so many cookie cutter new Harley's with minimal customization nothing really stands out anymore. I can park in a group of 50 bikes and there will be at least 10 black Fatboys, 4 or 5 Dyna's, and enough black Street Glides to make you think you are parked in a dealership parking lot!! Where have all the iron butt, ride it, fix it, ride it, customize it, ride it , owners gone??

Where you been? its been this way for a long time. I rode my EVO wide glide for 12 years not good enough? Ya I am getting older thought a better highway bike would be nice so what exactly was wrong with me buying a black 2010 street glide?
You can judge a book by its cover but you dont really know the book until you read it.
I admit I am staying away from the bike nights etc. so as not to be judged by the hardcore bikers. com'on bike nights have not changed they are still the same as they always have been.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 AM
valvestem
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc
I would be surprised also.... a 20 year old bike? with 63,000 miles? 3150 miles a year.....
You don't say where you're from, so I'll cut you some slack on having such low miles, on a 20 year old bike.
He's racking the miles quicker than I am. But I have reasons for lo miles. Please don't judge me because of lo miles. We all can not be fortunate enough (?) to live where one can ride year around. Oh, and uh, thanks for the "slack" in advance.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

Ive had 2 very close friends pass away very recently. I realized life is very short and can be taken from you at any time. I bought a SG because because it's been my dream bike since they came out... just so happend that the dealer made me a deal that I just couldnt refuse on a 2010 SG, i wasnt even there to buy a bike!... this was my 'live your life to the fullest' purchase. Ill be you in 20 years... riding the old high millage bike in 20 years. So dont presume everyone here with new bikes is a richie.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 AM
frozensoul
Road Master

im i rich? no way? would i like to be? you bet. but im not so i live check to check like a lot of folks do. and i wouldnt down a person cause of what they have or dont have. i try to treat folks the way i want to be treated and yes i like to bs at times so if i get some back its ok. we all gota have some kinda fun sometimes.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Ruralmed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should be stoked your ride is still on the road at 63K, that must be one blessed Evo. I rode my (old and used) 76 Kawasaki 750 for 4 years and 23K before I sold it. I used the money towards a 86 Ninja 600r that only had 800miles on it in 94. That bike was like new to me and I rode it for 5 years until my brother destroyed it in an accident. Then I had to wait and save for 12 years for my next ride. I have a newer bike, an 08 FCWC, but I hope to be that old dude on an old bike one day. Count your blessings and focus on the road not other peoples bikes.

Quick Reply: Harley's are just like cell phones!!!