Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's are just like cell phones!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Harley's are just like cell phones!!!

I ride a 1990 FLHTCU. It seems that 95% of the members here who have touring bikes are riding new bikes. What I mean by newer is anything that isn't an EVO. Jeez.... most of the posters on the touring section seem to be riding 2009 and up!!!
I never realized that the HD Forum was full of rich guys. I "heard" that the economy sucks and that Harley is not selling nearly as many bikes as a result of this terrible economy yet you would never be able to tell that from this forum.
Am I the one of the only poor guys who got slammed by the economy and rides a EVO powered FLHTCU with 63K on it?? I paid 5K for it and I had to do a ton of creative financing and liquidations in order to come up with the cash!!
I tried the EVO section of this forum but there isn't much action there.. especially for touring bikes.
Do I have a potential collectors item on my hands??? lol...
Most of the people I meet on the road or ride with can't believe I am riding a 20 year old bike with 63K on it.
I ride with a ton of guys and most of the time.. the oldest bike in the group.. besides mine... is a 2007 and that rider is just about ready to trade or sell it to get a new bike.
Have Harley's become just like cell phones? Back several years ago you would have the same cell phone until it broke or the contract expired. Nowadays.. people get a new cell phone as soon as the new model comes out which seems to be at least once a year.
Back in the old days.. Harley riders would ride their bikes into the ground, fix them and keep riding. Now.. they just go go the dealership for their factory maintenance and service and after about 2 years tops they trade in or sell and get a new bike.
Personally.. I think its depressing and it shows at the many bike rallies and bike nights I go to. There are so many cookie cutter new Harley's with minimal customization nothing really stands out anymore. I can park in a group of 50 bikes and there will be at least 10 black Fatboys, 4 or 5 Dyna's, and enough black Street Glides to make you think you are parked in a dealership parking lot!! Where have all the iron butt, ride it, fix it, ride it, customize it, ride it , owners gone??

Old 07-06-2010, 08:02 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont be jealous just because you can not afford to keep up. I wouldnt have it any other way. If you can afford it, do it.

What a useless and senseless post. Thank goodness not everyone is like you or there would be no new models coming out.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:08 AM
zoom-zoom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will tick you off then. I have 2 new 2010 Chevy Silverado's, an 09 Dyna & an 09 FLHT. Sorry the economy did not hit me that bad. If you can afford new toys then go for it!!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:11 AM
bikermama
Road Captain

Yep harleys are like cell phones! Can't live without em!!!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:17 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While our 'bagger' is an '05, I still ride an old EVO 'Springer' most of the time!!
These 'new fangled' motors are not so owner friendly as the older motors. A $300 'tune-up' just don't sound right!!
I guess if you can afford a new scoot every 2-3 years, go for it, I just prefer the 'nostalgic' bikes more. (Still wish I'd kept my old FXE! Long live 'shovels' with 4 speeds and kickers!!!)

Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 AM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
Dont be jealous just because you can not afford to keep up. I wouldnt have it any other way. If you can afford it, do it.

What a useless and senseless post. Thank goodness not everyone is like you or there would be no new models coming out.

Jealous, yea, I would love to have a new bike. I don't think my thread is useless or senseless though. I just had an observation that I wanted to share with the HD Forum community. One other thing in response to your above post... you said that I am jealous because I cannot afford to "keep up". That sounds slike a yuppee keep up with the Jonese's response that proves exactly the point of my thread. My guess is that you don't know the slightest thing mechanically about what you are riding and you rely souly on the dealership for all your maintenance. Call me old school.. but thats sad.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 AM
bagger90
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my last bike so I went with the comfort.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 AM
valvestem
Road Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by jgcable
I ride a 1990 FLHTCU. It seems that 95% of the members here who have touring bikes are riding new bikes. What I mean by newer is anything that isn't an EVO. Jeez.... most of the posters on the touring section seem to be riding 2009 and up!!!
I never realized that the HD Forum was full of rich guys. I "heard" that the economy sucks and that Harley is not selling nearly as many bikes as a result of this terrible economy yet you would never be able to tell that from this forum.
Am I the one of the only poor guys who got slammed by the economy and rides a EVO powered FLHTCU with 63K on it?? I paid 5K for it and I had to do a ton of creative financing and liquidations in order to come up with the cash!!
I tried the EVO section of this forum but there isn't much action there.. especially for touring bikes.
Do I have a potential collectors item on my hands??? lol...
Most of the people I meet on the road or ride with can't believe I am riding a 20 year old bike with 63K on it.
I ride with a ton of guys and most of the time.. the oldest bike in the group.. besides mine... is a 2007 and that rider is just about ready to trade or sell it to get a new bike.
Have Harley's become just like cell phones? Back several years ago you would have the same cell phone until it broke or the contract expired. Nowadays.. people get a new cell phone as soon as the new model comes out which seems to be at least once a year.
Back in the old days.. Harley riders would ride their bikes into the ground, fix them and keep riding. Now.. they just go go the dealership for their factory maintenance and service and after about 2 years tops they trade in or sell and get a new bike.
Personally.. I think its depressing and it shows at the many bike rallies and bike nights I go to. There are so many cookie cutter new Harley's with minimal customization nothing really stands out anymore. I can park in a group of 50 bikes and there will be at least 10 black Fatboys, 4 or 5 Dyna's, and enough black Street Glides to make you think you are parked in a dealership parking lot!! Where have all the iron butt, ride it, fix it, ride it, customize it, ride it , owners gone??
I drive a 1999 Black FLHT, (since new) and use a TracFone. And I am on this site, so don't quite fit the mold you have cast for most members.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 AM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by FXSTS-88
While our 'bagger' is an '05, I still ride an old EVO 'Springer' most of the time!!
These 'new fangled' motors are not so owner friendly as the older motors. A $300 'tune-up' just don't sound right!!
I guess if you can afford a new scoot every 2-3 years, go for it, I just prefer the 'nostalgic' bikes more. (Still wish I'd kept my old FXE! Long live 'shovels' with 4 speeds and kickers!!!)

I hear you brutha!!!! I have owned many bikes through the years but in regards to Harley's I have owned an 88, 89 and now a 90. The 88 and 89 were bang shift solid mount chain drive 4 speeds. My "new" 90 is a 5 speed. At least I am moving in the right direction!
I love those old EVO's and I wish there were more HD Forum members riding the old 80ci and 88ci EVO touring bikes. Mechanically they make sense and the motors actually talk to you. I still don't think the new Twinkie motors really sound like Harley's unless they are idling. When they are cruising they sound like metric bikes to me. Thats why they always add a set of LOUD pipes. Its to mask the Twinkie metric sound.!! Anyway..its fun sharing experiences and mechanical advise with other members who are riding the vintage "good" stuff. I just wish there were more of them on the forum.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider

Jeez, I hope you are joking with this post, if you are, it did not quite come across.

Quick Reply: Harley's are just like cell phones!!!