Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofit E-Z Pull Clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:57 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Retrofit E-Z Pull Clutch kit

Bro #2 brought his 2003 Ultra (pictured below) over today so we could install the kit. Reading other posts to the Touring Forum led me to believe we could change the diaphragm spring thru the Derby cover hole...not the case. We had to remove both floorboards and the primary cover. Changing the spring was easy.

It's a good thing we couldn't change it thru the derby, since we found the primary chain way too sloppy when we removed the primary cover. Adjusted the tensioner per the manual. Also noticed an arc-shaped rub mark in the outer primary case where the compensator spins. The outer part must have "ramped outward" and contacted the primary cover a time or two...maybe due to having too much slack in the primary chain??? I should'a taken a few pix, but it looked like the rub mark was about 1/16" deep, and the arc of the rub mark was about 1-1/2" long.

It looks like there's no way to get the clutch actuator cover off without pulling the exhaust. Has anyone done it? How much of the exhaust system needs to be removed to get in there? Any tips? Thanks.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:25 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed the actuator cover off my 94 RK without removing the exhaust but I don't know about a twin cam. Would like to know though, I have a couple in the states that I would be interested in changing to the easy pull ramp. I changed the cable on my RK and that alone made a world of difference. So did the spring make the lever pull easier?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah if ya got the stock head pipes, ya gotta take the exh off. Not very difficult though. just use some wd40 and do some twisting of the mufflers. Always use new exh gaskets too.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Put bike wheels up on 2x4's and lean it way over on the jiffy stand. You won't have to drop the tranny fluid that way as it will all go to the left and you won't lose but a drop when you pull the clutch release cover. Make sure you have a big honking snap plier for the ring that holds the ball and ramp assy on.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to take the clutch actuator cover off without removing the exhaust. I used a short arm Allen wrench. It was close but it came right out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...96GS81DSBAX6Y9