Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tire on my Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:50 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP good for you. It looks like your going to be a Darksider now.

To the naysayers people have been running car tires on bikes for the last 60 years. If you did some research on it you might find that it works better then you would think. There are guys running some heavy high horsepower bikes with car tires with great results. And no they don't fail on them. They actually hold up way better then bike tires. I have seen guys get up to 40,000 miles on them. So before you go saying how bad an idea it is do some research.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:20 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Not for me, I would not feel comfortable leaning the Ultra into a tight turn knowing I was on the edge of a car tire.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:26 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Is this the 8th or 9th wonder of the world?!?!? Thanks for the info!!!I'm thinking of a snow tire for Chicago winter's!! LOL.. o~`o

Old 07-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I hear this mod works great for old women or guys who ride like old women.
They call them "car tires" for a reason. Good luck to you with car tires on your bike.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:37 PM
drifter27011
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shag67
I hear this mod works great for old women or guys who ride like old women.
They call them "car tires" for a reason. Good luck to you with car tires on your bike.
You don't have a clue what old people do !

The following users liked this post:
macbar19 (07-24-2018)
Old 07-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by drifter27011
You don't have a clue what old people do !
Are you tryin' to come out of the closet and tell us that you put a tire off of an old Yugo on the back of your bike?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I believe that motorcycle tires are made of a soft compound which gives better traction and higher speeds, but comes at the price of higher wear rates. Car tires are going to be a much harder compound due to the heavier weights and power being put to them so they can last way longer and seem pretty tough compared to motorcycle tires. The video of the tire from under the bike is very impressive though. It appears to me that the car tire is actually putting more rubber to the ground on turns than a bike tire. The slight flexing of the sidewall does not appear to be any more than it would do on a car.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:03 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
I believe that motorcycle tires are made of a soft compound which gives better traction and higher speeds, but comes at the price of higher wear rates. Car tires are going to be a much harder compound due to the heavier weights and power being put to them so they can last way longer and seem pretty tough compared to motorcycle tires. The video of the tire from under the bike is very impressive though. It appears to me that the car tire is actually putting more rubber to the ground on turns than a bike tire. The slight flexing of the sidewall does not appear to be any more than it would do on a car.
Actually it's just the opposite. Car tires are softer compound and spin less then motorcycle tires thus giving them better wear. Motorcycle tires being harder compound tend to spin even though we don't feel it every time it happens. It's the spinning that wears them out quicker.

I agree with you that the car tire does have more rubber on the road in the turns.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:10 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottysspeedshop
I worked with Michellin for a few years testing race tires for motorcycles and this subject has came up.Motorcycle tires are built for motorcycles car tires for cars period.Tires are cheep dont skimp on them!If you life is worth $67 or what ever you paid for the tire that is your choice but would not be mine.IMHO
I worked for GoodYear for several years, and we went through intensive training each year. I have been through this discussion here, no one listens, lmao. I will say that the sidewalls of car tires and motorcycle tires are extremely different. Different layers, different numbers of layers, different composition of components, some with fiberglass, some with nylon, some with steel, it is a different animal altogether. They DO NOT flex the same. I wouldn't expect a failure, necessarily. But there is more to it than what a video would show. Yet I know that folks have been doing this for years. In places, it is OK. But not in all applications, lmao again.

Knock yourselves out, I will just feel safer with a MC tire, even if it has a (cursed!) patch inside of it, lmao.

Til then, I will just keep on .

These discussions often get real interesting, downright comical.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:23 PM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Now the guys that live up North can get snow tires for the winter. Sorry, had to come up with some smart azz remark. I do firmly believe in Yankee ingenuity, and this looks like a good example.

Quick Reply: Car tire on my Road King