Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tire on my Road King

Old 04-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I have ridden both and did not notice a big difference in traction/handling. However a radial car tire is designed to keep as much tread on the road as possible in turns and will give somewhat (side to side) to try and maintain that attitude. Once you go beyond that point the tread will lift from the road surface and you will have much less traction.

MC tires are designed to keep the contact patch about the same size from side to side (that is why the are rounded vs flat like a car tire.

Going straight down the road with the bike upright = the car tire has a bigger contact patch I sure.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardstick
I have ridden both and did not notice a big difference in traction/handling. However a radial car tire is designed to keep as much tread on the road as possible in turns and will give somewhat (side to side) to try and maintain that attitude. Once you go beyond that point the tread will lift from the road surface and you will have much less traction.

MC tires are designed to keep the contact patch about the same size from side to side (that is why the are rounded vs flat like a car tire.

Going straight down the road with the bike upright = the car tire has a bigger contact patch I sure.
If Harley ever makes a bike that can lean far enough to "lift the tread" please let everyone know.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

So, perki48,,,,,,how do you know it isn't doing so. Have you ridden and watched someone with the car tire? I do believe you won't take it all the way to the edge and severely affect traction.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:08 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Either this is the voice of experience from a 5 minute ride on a buddies bike or this is the standard made up Bull. I am leaning toward the Bull.

There are some major difference (good and bad) that are obvious to the most casual observer between riding the two. If you did not notice them then you are either utterly oblivious or making it up as you go along.

If you did not notice the differences (good and bad) then you really should not be trying to be the voice of experience.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:11 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

So, perki48,,,,,,how do you know it isn't doing so. Have you ridden and watched someone with the car tire? I do believe you won't take it all the way to the edge and severely affect traction.
So you are saying that all the various Go Pro videos of folks showing close ups of their car tires (mounted on a bike) riding on curvy roads are faked?

Well that explains everything!

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 11:20 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Been riding on them on and off for 40 years. And if you search a little you can find plenty of video's which actually show that CT's on a touring bike have more tread on the road when leaning than a motorcycle tire EVER has.

Last edited by perki48; 04-22-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:27 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

I just ordered the taxi tire, I'm going to give it try and see how it feels on the bike. It's only a few dollars more then the Michelin Commanders I've been running. If it doesn't feel right I'll pull it off and chalk it up to experience.

https://www.universaltire.com/175r16...axi-black.html

Old 04-26-2018, 08:46 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,240 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
I just ordered the taxi tire, I'm going to give it try and see how it feels on the bike. It's only a few dollars more then the Michelin Commanders I've been running. If it doesn't feel right I'll pull it off and chalk it up to experience.
Cool, yours is a review/feedback I look forward to reading in the future. I've got the Commander II's on my bike, and overall have been well pleased with them. I look forward to reading your comparison to them.

Especially if you ride in the mud and wet grass. That's where I've found the Commander II's to really fall down.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:50 AM
Fatdaddy2
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CT looks like it has way more contact in straight line riding but in a hard lean the pressure point is much more exaggerated.
I'm thinking that even though the contact patch in a lean looks fairly substantial there is a lot of pressure on way less tire.

Last edited by Fatdaddy2; 05-26-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:35 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm a "new" dark side rider, I'm here to tell you, it works. I have put about 1500mi on mine so far and yes, it handles "differently" at slow speeds but other than that, it's absolutely no different. The bike feels more planted to the road and where I could make the rear of the bike step out in a hard turn if I wanted to, I can't make it budge now. I've tried downshifting and dumping the clutch in a fairly hard turn (a big no-no) and while it did squeak the tire, it didn't slide, or so much as wiggle. I've been caught in afternoon downpours and after blasting through a couple ruts filled with standing water on the road, I have extreme confidence in this tire's capability in the wet. I guess you could consider me another convert. FWIW, I'm running a 205/55-16 Hankook on my '13 FLHX.

The following 2 users liked this post by 67Shuv:
C.H.L. (05-26-2018), perki48 (05-26-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car tire on my Road King