Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   ACC helmets wait that was a different company (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/538666-acc-helmets-wait-that-was-a-different-company.html)

gwvulcan 07-14-2010 10:06 AM

ACC helmets wait that was a different company

So ACC is finally out of business. However, the same owners, in the same building have formed a new company "composite helmets" and are selling the same helmets. For any one that got screwed with one of these helmets you now have a place to address your lawsuit.

10ring 07-14-2010 10:38 AM

The name of the company is Composite Craft and can be found at headtriphelmets.com . There seems to be no mention of DOT certification this time around.....

artz 07-14-2010 11:38 AM

I just called them and asked a few questions regarding their helmets. I got a lil' curious and asked them what happened as ACC. They said the gov't. uses 5 testing labs (can you say farmed out ?) and the numbers were slightly off between 2 of them for their helmets, so the ruckus started and they were shut down. I believe the guy when he said that their helmets are of better quality than a DOT helmet when it comes to protection, but anything can happen. They are NOT D.O.T.
I'm still gonna get one.

mikesth 07-14-2010 11:42 AM

Thanks - they owe me money

artz 07-14-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by mikesth (Post 6999903)
Thanks - they owe me money

LOL ! I suspect you'll be waiting for quite some time if they disbanded legally as ACC, and are legally operating as a totally different company. Good luck.

10ring 07-14-2010 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by artz (Post 6999877)
I just called them and asked a few questions regarding their helmets. I got a lil' curious and asked them what happened as ACC. They said the gov't. uses 5 testing labs (can you say farmed out ?) and the numbers were slightly off between 2 of them for their helmets, so the ruckus started and they were shut down. I believe the guy when he said that their helmets are of better quality than a DOT helmet when it comes to protection, but anything can happen. They are NOT D.O.T.
I'm still gonna get one.

I believe, sir, you just asked the barber as to whether or not you need a haircut.

artz 07-14-2010 12:08 PM

I have just read alot of stuff on their helmets...thats all. Believe me, I wish I could read up on more scientific evidence about it, just to seal the flap on the envelope.
Bullet proof vests work, but not with certain bullets or bullet coatings.

Mike 07-14-2010 12:29 PM

Helmet maker ordered to stop making helmets

Four successive helmet models recalled in five years

By Motorcycle.Com Staff, Apr. 29, 2010

http://imagec17.247realmedia.com/Rea...lt/empty.gif/0 Florida-based helmet manufacturer Advanced Carbon Composites has been ordered to cease designing, manufacturing and selling helmets by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Advanced Carbon Composites (ACC) produces half-shell helmets made of carbon fiber.

On Aug. 23, 2005, ACC initiated a recall campaign for its EXT-001 helmet because it did not meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards No. 218, which relates to protection from impact and penetration as well as labeling requirements. Following the recall, which included 1,195 helmets, ACC modified the manufacturing process for the inner liner of the EXT-001 to produce the EXT-002 helmet.

In Feb. 1, 2007, ACC recalled the EXT-002 helmet (5,109 units were recalled) because it too failed to comply with safety regulations. ACC modified the helmet once again, changing the fabrication process and altering the composition of the helmet’s shell and liner to produce the EXT-003.

The EXT-003 also failed FMVSS No. 218 and a third recall was initiated on April 21, 2009, with 10,780 EXT-003 helmets being recalled. ACC tried to modify the helmet once again, using a different shell material and liner. The new helmet, EXT-004, was also later recalled.

In March 2010, after 645 EXT-004 helmets were sold, the NHTSA issued a consent order to ACC. ACC was ordered to offer refunds for the EXT series helmets and stop trying to repair or replace them. ACC and its owner Kim Davis were also ordered to stop designing, manufacturing and selling motorcycle helmets. Additionally, any future company in which Davis owns more than 3% may not design, make or sell motorcycle helmets. Davis signed the consent order, and did not deny the violations.
ACC was ordered to pay a civil penalty of $10,000 to the United States. ACC continues to produce and sell kayak and whitewater rafting helmets.

artz 07-14-2010 12:38 PM

thats scientific reading ? don't think so. Same ol' MEDIA info. Wheres the real meat ?

Mike 07-14-2010 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by artz (Post 6999877)
They said the gov't. uses 5 testing labs (can you say farmed out ?) and the numbers were slightly off between 2 of them for their helmets, so the ruckus started and they were shut down.

The numbers weren't "slightly off". The helmets failed testing several times over several years. The company couldn't make good on their promises to the DOT, and so they were ordered to stop making motorcycle helmets.

Now they are making "universal" helmets, not DOT certified, but advertised as being suitable for motorcycle riding.