Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No windshield = Holy C$#P

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No windshield = Holy C$#P

I have owned my Road King for 1 week and 1 day so I have TONS of experience on it. I had been tooling around town and down some river roads without the windshield but anytime I had been on the Hwy I had it on. This morning I decided to ride to work without it (about 25 miles of Hwy), and damn there is a big difference between 45mph and 65mph. I actually had to pull over and tighten the chin strap on my brain bucket. I thought that the thing was going to fly off my head. After I tightened it down I felt much more comfortable, but I think when I know I am going to be on the Hwy, the windshield will stay on. Plus I found myself worrying more about rocks and that being kicked up and hitting me in the face. Maybe tomorrow I will try it with a Full Face Helmet and see if I like that or not?

That is all....

Phil

Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 AM
TheDon81
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, when I first got my bike I rode 60miles on the hwy without it since then I have nearly never taken it off, usually take it off once at the begining of the season and am like WTF and put it back on since I do alot of hwy riding (commuting to work)

PS nice bike.

Last edited by TheDon81; 07-21-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:59 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

And the point is? More to come? First motorcycle for you? I've been riding since 1973, never sat behind a windshield until 2001. I bought the RK so it would be detachable and I ride most of the summer without it, except for long trips and bad weather. When people ask me why I ride without it, I tell them it's because it reminds me why I ride a motorcycle in the first place. A lot of guys won't understand that, but the ones that do REALLY understand.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 AM
JayLo
Cruiser

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Same here with my King. I really dont like the look of the bike with the shield, but you know what.......its really comfortable with it on. I rather be comfortable riding as oppose to being wore out without it. After all, thats why we ride

Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 AM
skdvr
Tourer

Originally Posted by frog13
And the point is? More to come? First motorcycle for you? I've been riding since 1973, never sat behind a windshield until 2001. I bought the RK so it would be detachable and I ride most of the summer without it, except for long trips and bad weather. When people ask me why I ride without it, I tell them it's because it reminds me why I ride a motorcycle in the first place. A lot of guys won't understand that, but the ones that do REALLY understand.
No not my first bike, but it is my first cruiser. I've been riding street bikes for about 16 years, but it has always been sport bikes. Not much for a windscreen on them either but the riding position is much different and I was always wearing a FFH. Plus about 10 years of dirt bikes before that.

This just felt odd to me with so much of my body exposed to the wind and then with the half helmet trying to lift off my head especially when I turned my head to look over my shoulder.

I just could not get real comfortable. I felt like I was holding onto the bike for dear life. I would force myself to relax my hands and my back and then a few min later I would notice that I was all tensed up again. I'm sure if I did it long enough I would get use to it. Just like using the Hwy pegs. The first few times I used them I really did not like them. I felt like I did not have as much control of the bike. Now I use them when ever I can.

Still I think for now until I am more comfortable with all the other aspects of the new bike I will be keeping the windshield on.

Phil

Old 07-21-2010, 08:07 AM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Riding without a windshield is just a flat out pain the rear end! It's not enjoyable at speeds over 50mph in any way shape or form. And I've got a little more than a week of experience riding.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:07 AM
skdvr
Tourer

Originally Posted by JayLo
Same here with my King. I really dont like the look of the bike with the shield, but you know what.......its really comfortable with it on. I rather be comfortable riding as oppose to being wore out without it. After all, thats why we ride

I agree... I much prefer the look of the bike without the windshield on, but it adds to the comfort...

Phil

Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I did the same thing on my 02 RC and I agree that at first it is a shock, but once I rode it for a while, I got use to it without the shield. Of course it is much more comfortable on long rides and in traffic with all the debree, but I also enjoyed a quiet Sunday ride in the Country without it. I must admit, I miss taking it off now that I have a SG.

Beary

Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
I understand what you are saying, but swear I'll go deaf if I take mine off. Maybe I'm getting old, but if I ride without it even with ear plugs I get a ringing in my ears. The wind feels great but the wind noise sucks.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never had a windsheild until I got my RKC, I never liked the way they looked, wouldn't put one on my Yamaha V Star, got the Road King road it with the windshield, went out and ordered one for the Yamaha!! That said one of the neetest experiences I have had was riding at night without the windshield, couldn't see any of the bike, the most I have ever felt like I was flying in my life!
Terry

Quick Reply: No windshield = Holy C$#P