Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   HD Air horn bad then good story (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/54537-hd-air-horn-bad-then-good-story.html)

HawgriderPa 10-23-2008 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
put the cooling fan on mine, so I had to relocate the horn.
Got the Rivco's & mounted them on the front highway bar, stuck the compressor in the glovebox - added hogtrough doors to make sure it stays there.

did notice a diffence in sound levels - louder after I added the relay harness.. now it draws power right off the battery.

Big Sid 07-02-2009 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by rickpeg (Post 910449)
I had the dealership install the Premium Air Horn on my new Ultra Classic when I ordered it. I have had the bike for 2 weeks yesterday. I noticed the rubber bushing had come loose and the horn was dangling. Is this the rubber that is being referred to in this post? Looked like a piss poor mount. I like the horn, but the mount is no good. How does it mount if the rubber is removed?

My apologies to all for resuscitating such an old thread ... but I just experienced the same problem as you did, Rickpeg! I too had a dangly Premium Air Horn on my 2008 Street Glide! My dealer installed the horn when I bought the bike new a year ago last April so it's only about 14 months old. It seemed to happen after a string of mid-90 degree Fahrenheit days so heat may have been a factor. In looking at the rubber bushing, I can see what happened. The metal piece is molded into the rubber and nearly the same diameter as the rubber so it looks like it's more "sandwiched" in the rubber rather than securely encased. I'm wondering if there's any kind of glue or cement I can use that will reliably hold.

Anyhow, the real reason for my post is to see how common this problem is and if anyone knows if a person can just buy that one little rubber plug/bolt piece or if the Moco makes a person bend over and pay $60 for the entire installation kit again? :icon_stooge:

Thanks!

Big Sid 07-02-2009 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Big Sid (Post 5215054)
My apologies to all for resuscitating such an old thread ... but I just experienced the same problem as you did, Rickpeg! I too had a dangly Premium Air Horn on my 2008 Street Glide! My dealer installed the horn when I bought the bike new a year ago last April so it's only about 14 months old. It seemed to happen after a string of mid-90 degree Fahrenheit days so heat may have been a factor. In looking at the rubber bushing, I can see what happened. The metal piece is molded into the rubber and nearly the same diameter as the rubber so it looks like it's more "sandwiched" in the rubber rather than securely encased. I'm wondering if there's any kind of glue or cement I can use that will reliably hold.

Anyhow, the real reason for my post is to see how common this problem is and if anyone knows if a person can just buy that one little rubber plug/bolt piece or if the Moco makes a person bend over and pay $60 for the entire installation kit again? :icon_stooge:

Thanks!

Went to the dealer today and got my answer. No, I didn't have to buy the $60 installation kit....but the one little tiny piece I did need was still $18. What's a person to do but take it up the tailpipe.

vertigo14 07-03-2009 12:11 AM

Installed the mini beast 2 air horn a few days ago...

Did not have to take off the rubber thing behind the stock horn...
Nor separate the compressor either...
Came with a wiring harness that went to the battery...
5 mins to put the horn on... 30mins or less to wire it to the battery...

Mini Beast 2 Air horn vs. stock HD horn

jpooch00 07-03-2009 04:26 AM

If ya want something LOUD, do what Rat Bike Milo did and get yerself a genuine diesel locomotive air horn set. They sound great and they'll clear the road for miles ahead!

htc 07-03-2009 05:48 AM

WTF!!! Three to five hours to install the new horn? There has to be some greater story behind all that. I believe MOCO has an department of making customers life difficult, when doing things by them selves. Just to ensure dealers well being and workload!

In normal life, what, three minutes to take old one of and new one in. Thumbless like me, ten minutes ;-)