Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Honda VTX 1300R to 2011 Road King...learning curve? Metric riders?

Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 Honda VTX 1300R to 2011 Road King...learning curve? Metric riders?

I'm hoping to make the jump from the VTX to Road King in the fall when I return......

I guess my question is really directed those that have made the switch from a metric to a HD.

If you made the jump is there anything you found that took a lot of getting used to vs whatever metric you came off of?

In my eyes the VTX seems very similar to the RK so I'm thinking it will be pretty transparent but would like to hear about any huge differences

Thanks

Dawg

Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 AM
RG32
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Functional: The BIggest thing I had to use to was the turn signals on the Harley is left is on the left side of the handle bar/right on the right... VTX has one switch for both on the left side of handle bar...My harley has self cancelling turn signals...This was great,only goldwings had this option...VTX: one place for engine & clutch fluids VS Harley one for engine,one for clutch,one for primary...NO coolant ,it`s air cooled... Love my Harley,handles and rides like a dream,GLAD I made the switch...Hope you get the RK,you will love it,great step up...

Last edited by RG32; 08-13-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I guarantee you will ask yourself what took so long to switch . I have an uncle who is actually closer to being my big brother . He has been riding Honda's for about ten years . He is currently riding a VTX 1300 r . I let him take my Wide Glide out last Saturday . He came back blown away ! He said "Man the torque on that thing is incredible ! Riding that bike will convert me to a Harley" . LOL ! He and his fiance are all big red , all the time....(until now) >

Old 08-13-2010, 06:41 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

1.) As above, hand/switch controls. I had a Kawa Mean Streak for the first month I had my FLHT. I'd be hitting starter buttons, horns, turn signals etc when switching between them. Still not natural nature for me to find the horn button.
2.) If your VTX has heel/toe shifter nothing new. If not, you'll learn to like it quickly. However, I did take mine off to give me more foot sliding room.
3.) Engine heat will take getting used to on the RK. Just a fact between a/c and lc bikes.
4.) Liquid cooling masks out some engine noise so you might consider your H-D "loud". Not to worry as 96" motors have lots of mechanicals going on inside them.
5.) BALANCE.. You will be amazed at how much more balanced your RK will feel. My Mean Streak was a great handling 1600cc bike but the low speed balance of the RK will just astound you. And lastly,
6.) Pride of Ownership. I've owned over a dozen new bikes but my 09 FLHT is my first H-D. Can't say as of yet how the reliability will compare but you will have a newfound sense of pride of ownership. Kinda weird to explain.. Enjoy !!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched from the VTX1300R to a Road King earlier this year. A couple of things in addition to those already mentioned:

- No choke on the Road King. The Road King runs much better on cold mornings.
- The ignition switch is on the tank. I still catch myself reaching down for the key sometimes.

The VTX was a great bike but I love the way the Road King performs on the highway. I miss the liquid cooling during this hot summer.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:37 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Weight and seat height. My wife has a VTX 1300R. I can stand over the seat and nudge it upright off the stand using my knee. The RK is a very well balanced bike but not quite as good (doesn't feel as light) as the VTX.
The RK is a lot smoother on the road than the VTX.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:13 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

The others have it pretty well covered with the controls and the handling issues. Transmission clunk is another.

The heat and engine noise are the bigger hurdles. Some twin cams are pretty damn noisy. The heat can be lowered with a stage I set up with some sort of fuel management.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

You going to spend A LOT more $$$ on maintaining the Harley and is going to brake down way more often thanthe VTX, but the Harley is more fun. I had a VTX 1800.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by c50plus
You going to spend A LOT more $$$ on maintaining the Harley and is going to brake down way more often thanthe VTX, but the Harley is more fun. I had a VTX 1800.
bullshit.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The biggest change for me was I finally got to stop explaining to the average person that my bike wasnt a harley! Most people seem to just assume any bike except for a crotch rocket is a harley and then I had to try and explain why I didnt have a harley.

Now all I do is say "Thank You", with a big old grin.

Second biggest change was how much I love all the accessories and clothes at the dealerships. The metric shops just dont have that much selection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Honda VTX 1300R to 2011 Road King...learning curve? Metric riders?