Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline tranny fluid affecting warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 AM
fireguy5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redline tranny fluid affecting warranty?

Has anyone ever heard of a warranty being voided because of using fluids other than HD fluids? I had a longer clutch cable put on my 2010 FLHTC (first time ever bringing my bike to a dealer for work and not doing it myself) for my new khromewerks Sweepers. The tech noticed the Redline fluid in the tranny and said that my warranty could be voided because of not using HD fluids. I've never heard of such a thing.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fireguy5
Has anyone ever heard of a warranty being voided because of using fluids other than HD fluids? I had a longer clutch cable put on my 2010 FLHTC (first time ever bringing my bike to a dealer for work and not doing it myself) for my new khromewerks Sweepers. The tech noticed the Redline fluid in the tranny and said that my warranty could be voided because of not using HD fluids. I've never heard of such a thing.
That is a very uneducated tech. There is no way they can void your warranty for using a particular oil. As long as the oil meets or exceeds the manufacturer's specs you're good to go.

Now, if you were to run some 5-20 oil in your motor or tranny and it blows, well, yeah, then your warranty is not going to cover it.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell him he is full a ****!!! and to read this!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 AM
wildeano
Tourer

The dealer i use in ft.myers florida sells red line products right next to h-d products,,, if you get your bike serviced there, they will put either or in your bike , your choice

Attached Thumbnails Redline tranny fluid affecting warranty?-jesus-on-the-cross.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's BS. They can't void your warranty for using other than Harley oils.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:39 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Your tech is full of sh*t. There's no such thing as a warranty being contingent upon using a specific brand of oil (Magnuson-Moss Act).
As long as your oil meets the specs of the mfg, you're good. By the way, HD fluids are CITGO fluids.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 08-13-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go back and ask the Tech if he saw stupid written on my face somewhere. Several Dealers around here sells Amsoil right next to the HD oil. One I know of will put either one in with a service for the same price. Don't these people know we are not stupid? ....well, me maybe a little bit!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:02 PM
fireguy5
Cruiser

That's what got me all wound up.....they sell Amsoil and Redline there for Pete's sake. Thanks for the input....I kinda figured he was off but I wanted to see what ya'll thought about it.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummmmm, what a moron. I would tell them that they had to provide me all fluids from here on out.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would run from that dealership. Anybody that has the nerve to make a comment that stupid is an idiot.

Quick Reply: Redline tranny fluid affecting warranty?