Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Ultra Audio Overlay Harness

Old 08-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Non-Ultra Audio Overlay Harness

I am starting to piece together the parts for my rear speakers....intercom....cb radio for my 2010 RG. I have the Non-Ultra Audio Overlay Harness. When i look at the harness it appears the entire harness stays inside the fairing. For some reason i thought it would run down the tank tray and come out under the seat. But....as i said it looks like it stays inside the fairing and the speaker wires....intercom wires....cb stuff actually run up to the harness and connect inside the fairing. Also looks like it makes sense to have "all" the stuff to do this at once since I have to pull the outer fairing and tank....Am i going down the right path here? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep....all the wiring is short and stays inside the fairing.
Just plan to keep the connectors away from directly behind the headlights, not lot of room behind the headlights.
You will have to pull the gas tank and expose the wiring conduit, lots of room and just follow the main harness
into the fairing with all your new leads.
Having a Service Manual will be a big plus.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

As mentioned, that harness stays inside the fairing, and everything else plugs into one of the assigned connectors on it; e.g. cb module, rider headset, etc.

You can get a very good idea of what's involved with much of your project (except for the rear speakers) by looking at the installation instructions and parts list for the Boom Audio Music Kit, p/n 77108-09.

It would probably be helpful to you to see how the NUOH is routed inside a 2011 FLTRU. It takes a bit of adjustment to make everything fit well when doing this on an EG--at least it took me a few times to be able to easily (no added pressure) to replace the outer fairing.

HD used to show the installation instructions for the rear speaker kit on its website, but doesn't since the 2011 product was introduced. Your local HD store can print out the instructions for you with the p/n's you'll need, particularly the rear speaker harness that connects the speakers to the NUOH. I've posted that part no. a couple of times so you can find it with a search.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have done this to my '09 Road Glide. If you look at the Radio Mounting bracket, you will see the Fairing Interconnect Harness in a cutout under the radio. Look behind it and you will see an additional cutout with nothing in it. I moved the Interconnect harness out and inserted the Non-Ultra harness behind it. I have the speaker and other plugs on the right (Left as you look from the front) side.
By putting the Non-Ultra Harness behind the Fairing Interconnect harness, it gives more room and keeps the additional wiring away from the headlights.

I didn't like the Boom Driver's headset plug using Double sided tape on my tank. So I found an Ultra Driver's Headset Plug that is on the dash. I ran the wiring harness down the front of the tank and into the fairing. This is because the wiring is too short to run to the bottom of the tank under the seat.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I have a much better feel of where im going now.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 AM
sh57
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got finished with this project on my electra glide. The only thing I would like to add is that I thought I would have to get a flash from the stealer to get my intercom working. Once I got everything hooked up and back together, I was messing around with it and tried the intercome and it worked. No flash from dealer.