Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Shorter Antenna options?? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/552064-shorter-antenna-options.html)

FFeric 08-17-2010 08:54 PM

When you put the rubber antenna under the fairing do you need to use the cable that runs from the radio back to the rear fender? OR will it go right into the radio?

xxxflhrci 08-17-2010 08:59 PM

The new rubber antenna will come with it's own cable. Just coil it up under the fairing and zip tie it outta the way.......You can take your HD antenna off, wire and all, and make a tidy profit.

FFeric 08-17-2010 09:14 PM

I will head to the parts store tomorrow and give it a shot. Thanks

I have a new (just needs two sided tape) J&M flex antenna. I have areas where my truck will not get reception on my way to work. So I took it out. If someone wants it, $45 shipped.

BLK08ROCKERC 08-17-2010 09:20 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to try to mount it under the fairing.

WI Bob 08-17-2010 09:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Plus one for under the fairing with a cheap one pc antenna or the shorty rubber job. Autozone for me on this one.

This is what I did a year ago and still like it.

FFeric 08-17-2010 10:01 PM

Is there much difference if any using a metal antenna vs a rubber shorty?

Heatwave 08-18-2010 06:31 AM

I replaced my stock antennas with the shorties from HD. Ran them for a week, The FM reception was dramtically reduced amd so was the CB range. I retruned them to the dealer and went back to the stock antennas. If reception and range matters to you, then the in-fairing and shorty antennas are going to be a disappointment. If looks matter more than range than go with the in-fairings since they will be about as poor in performance as the shorty antennas.

smittypac 08-18-2010 07:06 AM

I got the black shorty from Auto zone less than 10 bucks. I did notice a bit less range but not enough to go back to the whips. Besides for longer rides with the wife, when range is an issue, I use the Ipod. I left the cb off altogether, I never use it. I am going to go to a hidden antenna this winter. Also going to upgrade to a 16gig Ipod.

andyp 08-18-2010 07:15 AM

I tried shorty antennas without much luck,do a lot of riding away in cow country.I found the best thing is an in fairing antenna ,such as tune trapper with a splitter and a good shorty antenna,beats them all.

HDJIM1158 08-18-2010 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Heatwave (Post 7159968)
I replaced my stock antennas with the shorties from HD. Ran them for a week, The FM reception was dramtically reduced amd so was the CB range. I retruned them to the dealer and went back to the stock antennas. If reception and range matters to you, then the in-fairing and shorty antennas are going to be a disappointment. If looks matter more than range than go with the in-fairings since they will be about as poor in performance as the shorty antennas.

PLUS ONE !!! As a HAM I could go into a long post of why the radio is tuned to the antennas length but it really doesn't matter here. Bottom line, the shorter antennas will give you a little less reception. If you are riding close to the cities you will not have any problems, as you get further away from the transmitters you will hear fade and white noise. As far as the CB, by cutting down the size without tuning the antenna, you will increase the SWR and may cause radio damage down the line. I think, not sure that J&M has address this problem, that is why there is different antennas for the pre 09's and post 09's. Spend the 30 dollars and get the right antenna. As always just my 2 cents......

Be Safe JIM