Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 uc broken rear swing arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:35 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 1999 uc broken rear swing arm

In fixing my loss of power I pulled the rear side bag off & found a broken swing arm. I had checked a few trike places for some take offs but have had no luck getting a price.

looks like it has been broken for a while.

Toby

Last edited by twistedcherokee; 08-22-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Do yourself a favor and look for a 03 or later swingarm and upgrade the rear wheel at the same time. Do a search on cracked swingarms and you will see why they changed them.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:11 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

look on ebay for a 02-07 swing arm, I have an 01 and the 99-01 all have this problem, I corrected mine before it broke with the ride- str8 system, if you don't correct it before it breaks you should just upgrade the swing arm

Old 08-22-2010, 12:17 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

I welded it up & welded straps to the upper & lower sides to strengthen it, may not look pretty but I know it will hold. We are going through a bankruptcy & am not sure if we are going to be able to keep it. I had already contacted some places that do trike conversions, but since my wife lost her job (thus the bankruptcy)so I will probably lose my Harley, so that has got put on the back burner. We are going to try to keep it but the lawyer said that the courts look at it as a recreational vehicle. I ride it to work (20 miles 1 way) as long as it is above 30* or the roads are some what clear of ice. If they do take it, we will work on getting a newer model, but it will have to be a Limited or a Ultra, if we can swing it & after my wife gets another job. Thanks for the input

Old 08-22-2010, 12:40 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they take everything! You get the option of buying it back. If you sell it to your buddy just before bankruptcy, they will take it from him or slap you with dumping assets.
You could tell all your creditors that you are going to file but as a last resort, you will offer them 10 cents on the dollar to clear your debt. That is more than they get if you declare bankruptcy!
Good luck!
Hatch.

The following users liked this post:
Jaftica (06-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2010, 11:35 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

I am hoping that I can buy it back at a low enough price. My boss said he would loan me some money, so will have to see what price they put on it. I rode tested a 2010 Limited & was surprised that I didn't like it as well as my Ultra. Could I deal with a new Limited, yes, but there is something about my Ultra. I need to put tires on it, but do not have the money to do that, especially if I have to give it up. Wish I had .10 on the dollar to offer. Some day I might have two nickels to rub together.

Toby

The following users liked this post:
Jaftica (06-23-2019)
Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Toby,

Best of luck sorting your problems. I fitted a 2007 swingarm and 2005 wheel to my 1990 FLHS and wrote it up in my Suspension THUMP thread, if you want to see what is involved. My starting point was not a broken swingarm, but the work I did amounts to the same thing.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Twisted......... Do you have a lowering kit on the swingarm?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

I saw the article on the swing arm, good write up. If I get to keep it, I will more likely do that along with updating the front axle to a 1" also.
As for the lowering kit, I don't think it does. But I think the previous owner said that he had put on shorter air shocks.

Toby

Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 AM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm making up a set of long aluminum 6061 T6 bar stock blocks to replace wimpy axel adjusters.
They will fit inside the swing arm to well past the axel and provide the needed strength to prevent it from being crushed and/or break due to the lower shock mount placement (even though I don't plan on lowering it).
I have milled the blocks to fit inside, and need to bore out the axel hole, then drill and tap holes into the ends so I can red locktite in some grade 8 bolts, and then cut off their heads so they serve as the adjustment/alignment studs.

I feel this is easier/safer than trying to bore out the rear transmission mount to the larger size pivot bolt for the some of the later swing arms.
I'm not sure what years the size change took place, but I really wouldn't advise trying to drill out the tranny mount.

I should have had this done by now, but the latest heat wave up here in the central California Sierras has me staying out of my garage/shop area.

Quick Reply: 1999 uc broken rear swing arm