Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go from Dyna to RK or RG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 AM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone go from Dyna to RK or RG?

I'm sure a lot of people have gone from Dyna's to RK's or RG's & on the surface it looks like a step up. But what about the long haul...? Ever find yourself wishing you had your Dyna back? I only ask this because Im not rich & can only afford one bike. Currently ride a dyna but the 103's have me thinking.

I ride everyday.... in traffic out on the highways & in town. So what I don't want to do is go grab a RK or RG and in a year I'm wishing that it was a nimble as my dyna was.

Yes I know its apples to whatever... but just like some outside thoughts.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:27 AM
ericgiel
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 08 Street Bob & loved it ,but im 6ft 5in & on 100 mile plus rides or going with my wife it was hard > Now its a 08 Road Glide 103 Stage 1, Vance & Hines slipons & theres no stopping us

Old 08-01-2010, 03:51 AM
Biggun-fxr
Advanced

Went from an FXR to a RG. Still have the FXR but it gets out far less than it did. The RG is now what I ride to work everyday and it handles just fine in traffic. The FXR is still fun but overall it's hard to beat the RG, for me anyway.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:15 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I came back from Iraq last August, I took a Road King out for a test ride with my wife. When we got back to the shop we struck a deal on the trade and I haven't regretted it one bit. The RK is a much better fit for the riding my wife and I do.

I went from:

To this:

With recently added fairing:

Last edited by JakeInMa; 08-01-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Swamphunter
Road Captain

Ever find yourself wishing you had your Dyna back?
I kept the Dyna, but its used for around town.. my wife and I just returned from an 800+ mile trip on our new King and I will never take anything but for a long haul... HELL of a difference in comfort.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a FXR to a RK back in 95. The RK was awesome for the longer trips with the wife. Then circumstances changed; wife stopped riding ( kids came ), I stopped riding so far so often, job got busier, etc, etc. Sold the RK and wished I had kept the FXR.
I am now back on an FXR and it is all the bike I need for my circumstances ( more just day trips and occasional longer multiple day overnighters, wife does not ride anymore - she's banned ).
That said, the RK was a great two person long hauler and floated down the road like a Cadillac. But the FXR is right bike for me these days.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:14 AM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife went from a Super Glide Custom to the Street Glide (another touring bike) and wouldn't go back. Even for puttering around town, she thinks the SG is far easier to handle in the parking lots and for the longer trips, there is just no comparison.

In talking with a few people in our HOG chapter, all of them say that the Sportsters and Dynas just don't have the balance that the touring bikes do, so even with a few hundred extra pounds, they are easier to handle.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 AM
dblkick
Cruiser

A month ago I traded my '07 Street Bob for a '10 Road Glide. I often get the question....which do I like better? I would have liked to keep the Dyna, I loved it! I got compliments where ever I went. That being said, The RG was worth the move. It handles MUCH better than I imagined. Very comfy (5' 10") I like the floor boards more than I thought I would, the stereo is a nice feature. It depends what you're looking for..... If you're doing any 2 up riding, it's a no brainer. My wife wouldn't get on the Dyna, now she alway's says "let's take the bike".
I'm happy with MY decision, & hope it will help you with yours. But someday I'd like to build another Dyna...as a second scoot.

D

Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As a side note, I too wish I could have kept my Low Rider. It was an incredible bike that turned heads everywhere I rode. Finances dictated only 1 bike and for all around riding, the RK was the right choice.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:11 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went from a 98 Super Glide To a 08 Standard. and it was a major change. Not near as nimble. and needs much more stopping time. and if I could afford both I would have kept my Dyna to ride locally. That said I love the FLHT and having to just have one bike I will stay with my touring bike. I'll take comfort over handling and speed. But then I'm over 62 years old.

Quick Reply: Anyone go from Dyna to RK or RG?