Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle slip ons and heavy breather

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had mine on and off a couple of times, no biggie, and no sealant. Should be less than an hour to change both sides. I agree, get a tuner instead of the download, unless you know you are done, and you never know that.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Originally Posted by RK09RK
I have a 2009 Road King. After my 103 install (included 255 cams), I had a STG 2 ECM download, SE Touring slip ons, and a SE Air cleaner. The bike made 74 HP and 92 torque at that time, up from 68 HP and 78 TQ with Stg 1 download, a/c, and gutted stock mufflers. Dowloads get the bike going, a nice gain, but not nearly what can be had with a true tune- 84 HP, 103 TQ.

If I were you, I'd unbolt the existing mufflers (a 9/16" muffler clamp bolt and two 1/2" bolts at the rear) and slip the new mufflers on yourself, saving $85. You can drive it like that to the dealer (or anywhere else), then have them put the air cleaner on and the download. Downloads are usually $149, but I can tell you this- please consider sinking this money into a tuner like the SEPST module, a TTS, a PC-V and get the CDs and cables and do your own downloads/tunes later on if you plan to do other mods. The sunk cost of a download pays half on the tuner, unless you can truly resist the need for more from here on out. Good luck....
error

Last edited by chromedome; 09-01-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Originally Posted by RK09RK
I have a 2009 Road King. After my 103 install (included 255 cams), I had a STG 2 ECM download, SE Touring slip ons, and a SE Air cleaner. The bike made 74 HP and 92 torque at that time, up from 68 HP and 78 TQ with Stg 1 download, a/c, and gutted stock mufflers. Dowloads get the bike going, a nice gain, but not nearly what can be had with a true tune- 84 HP, 103 TQ.

If I were you, I'd unbolt the existing mufflers (a 9/16" muffler clamp bolt and two 1/2" bolts at the rear) and slip the new mufflers on yourself, saving $85. You can drive it like that to the dealer (or anywhere else), then have them put the air cleaner on and the download. Downloads are usually $149, but I can tell you this- please consider sinking this money into a tuner like the SEPST module, a TTS, a PC-V and get the CDs and cables and do your own downloads/tunes later on if you plan to do other mods. The sunk cost of a download pays half on the tuner, unless you can truly resist the need for more from here on out. Good luck....
Thanks RK09RK...got motivated and just installed the slip ons. Little issue with the small heat shield on the left side needing an adjustment but can take care of that in the am when I can find my snub flathead. . Nice to save a few bucks! One question...can you over tighten the clamps and strip em or can I crank on them a bit???

Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 AM
dres22
Intermediate

Now that you have installed the pipes install the air cleaner. The directions are very clear. Everything just bolts apart and bolts back together. Just saved another $80. Thus you saved enough to get the download done! Most wrenching is not that complicted when dealing with bolt on items. One suggestion for your set up is get the XIEDs. They will richen up the motor while running in closed loop which the download does not touch. This will help the motor to run cooler. I run your planned set up with the addition of ther XIEDs. Xtra cost $100. Time to install 10 minutes tops. Very easy disconnect a wiring harness and plug in the new harness in between. Again I realize that this is not he top performance tunning available. But bike runs great and I bought a harley not a Hyabussa. I alos realized a long time agao that it takes a big increase in power to make a real seat of the pants difference.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the SE Heavy Breather and SE Slip ons with the ECM Download on my past two bikes. For me, it's perfect! I love the looks and the sound. I think the bike seems to run a bit better as well with a bit more performance. For me it's the ONLY option for the Heavy Breather set up. I really can't see putting a RACE Tuner on for that $$$ as I'm doing it more for looks than performance.

All in all, I'm happy with the looks and performance. Best all around upgrade for under $1000 IMO.

T